Options

CCNA advice

Cert getterCert getter Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I am currently studying for my CCNA and i am loooking for some advice so please share. I currently have Security + , A+, and Net + I am trying to acheive my CCNA by Jan 15th and I have been studying sin DEC 1st. I have a few questions.

I study at least 4-8 hrs everyday except for weekends is it posiible for me to acheive my goal of taking the test and passing by Jan 15th.

I am currently using the CBT NUggets which is awesome I love it but is that enough to pass if not what else should i get.

I currently have to switches 2900 xl and a 2924 xl switch as well as 2 routers a 2520 and 3640 I also use gns.

Also should i take 640-802 or take the two exam route and if you fail a sim do you fail the test?

Thank you for your help I have used site in the past and found it very helpful

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hi All,

I am currently studying for my CCNA and i am loooking for some advice so please share. I currently have Security + , A+, and Net + I am trying to acheive my CCNA by Jan 15th and I have been studying sin DEC 1st. I have a few questions.

I study at least 4-8 hrs everyday except for weekends is it posiible for me to acheive my goal of taking the test and passing by Jan 15th.

I am currently using the CBT NUggets which is awesome I love it but is that enough to pass if not what else should i get.

I currently have to switches 2900 xl and a 2924 xl switch as well as 2 routers a 2520 and 3640 I also use gns.

Also should i take 640-802 or take the two exam route and if you fail a sim do you fail the test?

Thank you for your help I have used site in the past and found it very helpful

Welcome to TE.

I would say take a look at the exam objectives and make sure there isn't anything you know the material well. If you have the money, transcender is helpful with showing you your weak areas (Transcender is harder than the exam).

With only 2 switches, STP is kind of hard to really see but it is doable. I am not sure about the 2924s but I know the 2950s (with the right ios) support just about everything you need for the CCNA.

The fail a sim thing is not true. But don't worry about failing a sim, instead worry about knowing the material so you will not fail a sim.

A lot of people say take the 2 exam route but I will say since you have a complete date in mind for the full ccna, I would say take the 1 test approach. It is a lot of material but I think that if you concentrate on taking 1 big test (and spend more time on the material) it might be easier for you.

I cannot stress enough, look at the exam objectives and know the material cold. Lab as much as you can. Stay focused. If you do all of these things you will pass.
  • Options
    jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
    Im not the original poster obviously, but would you recommend 3 switches or more? obviously more the merrier but I got two 2950s
    Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
    http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
    HTC students encouraged to join :)
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jjbrog wrote: »
    Im not the original poster obviously, but would you recommend 3 switches or more? obviously more the merrier but I got two 2950s

I did my CCNA with 2 2950s. I wish I had a 3550 to add to the mix but money was tight. I think 3 switches should be a goal. You could add a 2924xl just to have a 3rd switch but using just those is not advised. There are several forum threads that will pretty much say the same thing.

I will be adding a 3550 to my fleet soon.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□

No.
    if not what else should i get.

This:

CCNA Preparation Library, 7th Edition
  • Options
    Thank you and I will get another switch if thats what i need and i will look into the transcender
  • Options
    I have that book but i didnt want to start it until after the cbt nuggets also is my time frame reasonable or am i overworking myself
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    If you are spending that amount of time I would say that it could be possible. It just depends on your study habits. I would check out the exam objectives, hit anything that you do not know or have doubts on. Also, when in doubt, LAB, LAB, LAB, LAB, oh and lab some more.