Options

Frame Relay Router Clarification

typeshtypesh Member Posts: 168
Hey everyone,

I am looking at getting a router that I can use as a Frame Relay switch.

Following Odom's post (CCNA Lab Part 4: Bigger Picture of Router Hardware | NetworkWorld.com Community), a 2500 series seems great because of the cost. Would any 2500 model be sufficient?

Instead, if I wanted to use a 2600XM as a FR switch, would any model with at least 2 Serial interfaces (WIC1Ts), work?

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    2 is not sufficient, I assume your going to use this for a hub & spoke configuration, therefore you'll need to use an NM-4A/S, if I think the price is the same or almost close I will just pick up an NM-8A/S.

And yes, you can use that 2600XM router as a frame-relay switch, but I would use a less powerful router as a frame-relay switch instead, and use the 2600XM as one of the hub or spoke.

There's also a wic-2t/wic-4t that is better than the wic-1t, the connection is different, just want to make sure your aware.
  • Options
    2 is not sufficient, I assume your going to use this for a hub & spoke configuration

Hey thanks for the reply!

Since 2 would not be enough, I assume the 2500 he was referring to was something such as a 2520?
  • Options
    typesh wrote: »
    Hey thanks for the reply!

Since 2 would not be enough, I assume the 2500 he was referring to was something such as a 2520?

That will also work.
  • Options
    Sounds good.

Just wondering, what is the relevance of 2H 2L (Understanding Router Components and Accessories | Free CCNA Workbook)

Is it the clock rate supported on those interfaces?
  • Options
    I'm not sure about that 2H 2L, did you got your lab? let me know if you need assistance with multipoints and point-to-point.

Is it the clock rate supported on those interface?

I'm confused with you question, clockrate on a Frame Relay has to match the serial interface DTE and DCE side, this is crossover serial cable DB60 to DB60, that you'll be using for your lab.

G0154578ZBRA1RV.JPG
    In the real world this cable will be different DB60 to V.35 serial cable and connects to a CSU/DSU, the newest WIC interface incorporates CSU/DSU into the module.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    typesh wrote: »
    Just wondering, what is the relevance of 2H 2L (Understanding Router Components and Accessories | Free CCNA Workbook)

Is it the clock rate supported on those interfaces?
    2 high speed sync serial and 2 low speed async/sync serial ports. For a lab, the speed is irrelevant since you're not actually transferring any significant amounts of data.

If you actually want to use it as a console server then you'll need async serial ports though.