Options

Sybex books

Cert getterCert getter Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All

I have the sybex 5th edition and i have been studying it for almost a month , I just found out theres a version 6 to it . Can anybody tell me would i be ok studying from the 5th edition or do I NEED the 6th editon

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Since the Sybex (and Amazon, and Todd's) web site still only have the 6th edition, I'd guess that 7th edition -- that only seems to be available as a "free ebook download" -- is more likely a means of distributing malware.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    dstock7337dstock7337 Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello All

I have the sybex 5th edition and i have been studying it for almost a month , I just found out theres a version 6 to it . Can anybody tell me would i be ok studying from the 5th edition or do I NEED the 6th editon

Yeah, there's a big difference. 5th edition (from what I saw online) is for the 640-801 exam, which has been retired. 6th edition is for the 640-802 exam, which is the current version. If you don't upgrade, you'll miss on some of the new objectives and updates. Try to pick it up on amazon.com, its cheaper there than most mortar stores.

I started back up studying for the latest exam myself, but I did notice a difference in material between 801 and 802. Anyway, good luck!
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    About 25% of the CCNA changed between the 640-801 exam and 640-802 exam -- so you'd want the updated 6th edition for the 640-802 (or ICND1/ICND2) exam(s).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    elphrank0elphrank0 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    5th Edition, if it is the "Deluxe" edition is the same as the 6th only it is the Hard cover as opposed to 6th which is paperback... I will come back and edit when I find the link over at Todd's forum...