Options

Did you reach your cert goals this year?

2»

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I suppose I did. The big one I wanted to get out of the way was the MCITP: DBA 2005. I also managed the MCITP: EDA7 and Linux+, which were unplanned so that's a bonus. The problem is that my plans changed a bit. I had also planned on taking a .NET C# cert but I caved on that and doubt I will go for it. I don't really consider that a missed goal, though.
  • Options
    EmpoweredBizTechEmpoweredBizTech Member Posts: 110
    Goal completed today after 12 years in IT today I passed the 70-297 and earned my MCSE !!!!
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Goal completed today after 12 years in IT today I passed the 70-297 and earned my MCSE !!!!

Great Job. I am sure you put the Bankai to that test......

What is next?
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    did not hit my goals (MCP). i cross trained from comm to IT middle of this year and content with that; im no longer a wannabe IT guy.
    2009 marked the year i no longer worked at whatever I had to do, but what I actually liked to do. i only only obtained net+ and sec+... while i didnt obtain my goal, i saw my potential, made my biggest and best career move yet, 2010 can only be better

2010 my minimum is mcsa... we'll see (working on degree as well). amazing how much time you get freed up when you no longer need to hold more than 2 jobs and work 90+hrs/week to stay afloat.

- good times
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    No. I wanted to get my CCENT this month but school was not being cool (I'm paying for school by myself). I did alot of studying for it though so I plan on taking it here pretty soon, after I get better at subnetting.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    EmpoweredBizTechEmpoweredBizTech Member Posts: 110
    knwminus wrote: »
    Great Job. I am sure you put the Bankai to that test......

What is next?

You bet I did lol, As for what is next my CCNA has long since expired and so I will re-do that and move onto CCNP\DP and probably since it's will be quick now go for the upgrade to the MCTS\MCITP for 2K8 and Windows 7 and finally feel like I'm somewhat caught up.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I still missing my SSCP and ESCA.... Will have to work hard to get it this year.

Happy New Year to all
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just when I was finally starting to accept that there was no Bleach this week, you all bring out the bankai talk. I am not amused.

My plan changed significantly, but I think I still made about the same amount of progress as I hoped.

Don't get discouraged if things don't go to plan. Keep aiming high and working hard. That way, even if you don't hit your goals, you'll probably still make solid progress. If you can do that consistently, you've got nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Just when I was finally starting to accept that there was no Bleach this week, you all bring out the bankai talk. I am not amused.

I KNOW. Plus the last episode may have been a double so there may not be no Bleach for 2 weeks...That blows.....
  • Options
    stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well to begin with I had no real certification plans at all really. I have been wanting to get some more so after being let go from my job I turned to trying to get more certs. Every cert I went after I passed which I am happy with.

MS 70-291 - August 09
    Security Plus Oct 2009
    MCTS -Vista Nov 2009
    Today Dec 31 2009 MCITP :EA 70-647

Now to find the money to start next year and find a good paying job.
    Free Reading : History Books
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    I KNOW. Plus the last episode may have been a double so there may not be no Bleach for 2 weeks...That blows.....

Had to get onto YouTube to find out what this Bleach is. Have to say I enjoy the fight scenes from Ranma better... icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    rodan07rodan07 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've seen Mr. Bowler's videos - this guy is settin' the world on fire. As for me, I've got a job as a videographer and a family, so 700 hours a year of study tops it out. I wish I could do more.

In '09 I finished Cisco Networking Academy and got my CCNA. Not bad. Now I want a good networking job, CCNA Voice, and MCSA.

I know MCSA is old but I've got a server at home running 2003 Server, and free registration into the Microsoft Academy.

Wish me luck!
    Roy Verges, CCNA
    Working on CCNA Voice & MCSA.
    Hoping for time to exercise and play music (dream on...)
  • Options
    stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    Last year got a bit crazy and it looked like I was not going to reach my aim of 12 exams (wont bore you with a list as it changed during the year) but I piled on the pressure and managed 11 (all first time) with a beta score pending (which was very hard so there is little chance I passed).

Although I missed off three of the areas I wanted to look at I did mange a lot and feel that I have done well enough to call last year a success. Above all, I enjoyed the study that I worked on and gained more knowledge that I can use day to day icon_thumright.gif

I wanted to slow things up a little this year but it is shaping up as another year of upgrades and step ups (VCP4, MCITP:VA, CCEE and CCIA) icon_study.gif

What ever your plans are, have fun learning and good luck.

Happy New Year! May it bring you all that you ask for.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Unfortunately, not all of them. Even though I missed one goal, I did add a few extras that were not on the original plan. Here are the results:

MCITP:EA completed. Practically cheating considering I only had the 647 remaining and I already had it scheduled on Jan 5th.

Got a new job as a consultant. This was the most important goal as I had outgrown my previous position and it was time to move on to new challenges. I love the new job and all the new responsibilities.

MCITP:EMA completed. It was either the EMA or CCNP depending on the new job, and the new job was with an MS partner so Exchange won out.

Renew CCNA not completed. I failed the BCMSN the end of November. Now I need to get my revenge before the exam is retired and retake the CCNA to renew it.

I did complete the Windows 7 680 beta, the 624 Vista deployment exam (it was a partner requirement), and the 652 Hyper-V exam. I don't know if the extra credit makes up for the missed BCMSN exam.
  • Options
    stupidboy wrote: »
    Last year got a bit crazy and it looked like I was not going to reach my aim of 12 exams (wont bore you with a list as it changed during the year) but I piled on the pressure and managed 11 (all first time) with a beta score pending (which was very hard so there is little chance I passed).

Well, I guess that upped the ante. I was only planning on surpassing the 6 certs I did in 2009. Hopefully this year will be more about job experience as I sure don't want my resume to be outbalanced by certs.

May have to take up that 12 exam challenge though...

EDIT: Oh yeah, I have my second child due in April... may have to retract that challenge...
  • Options
    unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My goals coincide with our fiscal year calendar which goes from Jul 1 - Jun 30 as opposed to a calendar year. My goals for this year are CCNP and VCP and I take ISCW (final NP exam) on Feb 8. I will then begin prep for the VCP for a month or so and hopefully will pass. My bonus and promotion depends on my obtaining both CCNP and VCP so I will attain my goal otherwise my wife will be none too happy with me because women be shoppin!!!!
    Preparing for CCIE Written
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    EDIT: Oh yeah, I have my second child due in April... may have to retract that challenge...

I feel you. I have my first and second (twins) due in July..so my cert progress has to be fast and furious up until that point. I have a step-daughter already, so this will make 3.
  • Options
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    I feel you. I have my first and second (twins) due in July..so my cert progress has to be fast and furious up until that point. I have a step-daughter already, so this will make 3.

Wow instant family, congrats that's really special.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    well I didn't get everything I planned to in 2009, but I did do some extras that I hadn't planned on doing (Server+ & Windows 7/70-680)...I'm a sucker for free Betas! I wanted to have my MCSA done (still need to do 291, eek!), and I was thinking of doing Security+ and/or CCENT but those didn't quite make the cut.

I'm hoping to make up some of the ones I missed this year, but school's going to be pretty intense. I'm hoping to get 8 classes done by year's end (3 this semester, 2 in summer, 3 in fall), so that will only leave me with 1 class and my project to work on in 2011. That + full time work doesn't leave me all that much free time for cert studies though. Hrm, I could always cut out sleep though, right?! icon_lol.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    I had loose goals of getting at least one certification. I managed two, C|EH (Certified Ethical Hacker) and GCIH (GIAC Certified Incident Handler).

In 2010, I may be slowing down since I'm busy with school. I have plans to just take the GCIA (GIAC Certified Intrusion Analyst), because I just had the training. Maybe just take another CompTIA at my leisure, like Linux+, to round out my skillz.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    king smith wrote: »
    I have several years of healthcare exp., phlebotomy and CMA cert., but my final career goal is to work as a medical examiner. I am having problems finding out which is the best direction to take to begin my education. Please help if you can! Thanks

Why would you ask this on an IT site?
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thats a big ol' goose egg for snadam. I wasn't that good this year at all. Tried an attempt during THE most hectic work times and bombed. That pretty much sums it up.
    Decided to take a hiatus on formal education and focus on more important things such as xbox and beer icon_lol.gif for the rest of the year. I am fairly determined to finish, now that I have better feel of my annual workflow.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security