Options

Yet another Home lab question

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
Ok, bare with me I know this has been asked at least a hundred times here, but I am 100% rookie at cisco and feel like I have as much info as I can get from my own research methods.

Router. I am looking at buying this router "Cisco 2620 ROUTER 64/16 IP/FW/IDS 12.3"

Question 1. How important is it to be at the 12.4 IOS level? Should I have IP/FW/IDS and SDM for the CCNA exams?

Question 2. Will a router with 64/16 memory run the highest level of IOS 12.4 etc?

Question 3. what is the highest level of IOS /W most options?

Question 4. If I were to buy catalyst 3550's EMI vs. 2950 switches how much of a benefit would that be.

Question 5. I am hoping to spend no more than 500 tops and get 3 routers that will run the highest IOS, with the options I need and two switches. Is this a reasonable lab and a reasonable amount to expect to spend?

Question 6. Do I need wic-1t Modules for my lab?

I already have ICND1 cisco book, Cbt nuggets newest version for ICND1 and ICND2, Console cable.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    slinuxuzer wrote: »
    Router. I am looking at buying this router "Cisco 2620 ROUTER 64/16 IP/FW/IDS 12.3"
    For how much?
    Question 1. How important is it to be at the 12.4 IOS level? Should I have IP/FW/IDS and SDM for the CCNA exams?
    If you're going to do the CCNA:Security then you'd need a couple routers that can run 12.4(9)T Advanced Security or better Feature Set. If you planned to learn and use Dynamips/GNS3 for the CCNA:Security in the future, then one router with that IOS would be useful.

12.4 added SSH secure management to all images -- but if you have a 12.3 crypto image with SSH support you'd probably get by for that CCNA requirement.

Use the CCNA exam blueprint to help you figure out what you might need. The Configure/Verify/Troubleshoot, Identify/Prescribe/Resolve, Implement, and Identify output from show/debug command topics are things you may need hardware (or a simulator) to accomplish. These are also task that are prime candidates for Simulation Questions on the exam.
    Question 2. Will a router with 64/16 memory run the highest level of IOS 12.4 etc?
    Nope, not even close. If you lucked out you might wedge a 12.4 Advanced Security image in -- but it would be tight. But then you might not have enough DRAM to run it.

There was the old trick of doing a net boot with the old 2600 routers for 12.4 images that wouldn't fit in flash -- and you could run the images that required 96 meg on routers in a lab with 64 meg DRAM, they'd just randomly reboot sometimes.

Booting XM Images on Non-XM 2600 Series Routers | Internetwork Expert
    Question 3. what is the highest level of IOS /W most options?
    Advanced Enterprise Services feature set.

There is IOS version 15 on the new Integrated Services Routers -- but 12.4 or 12.4T gets you through the current Cisco Certifications through the CCIE.

You can check out the Cisco Feature Navigator to get an idea of what images would be available for a specific platform (or an image from the 2600XMs that you'd want to try on a 2600).

On the Cisco Partner Central Portable Product Sheet web page you can find the Cisco IOS Packaging PDF for a quick IOS overview (and hierarchy). You can also find PDFs there for router memory, performance, and module support.
    Question 4. If I were to buy catalyst 3550's EMI vs. 2950 switches how much of a benefit would that be.
    You'd want the 3550 EMI for the CCNP -- but it would take a big chunk out of your budget compared to the 2950s you'd want for the CCNA.

I did see a couple 3550 SMI switches sell at auction for $125 -- but usually they've been around the $200 Buy it Now (or bid up to that) level. I grabbed a 2950 (that I didn't really need) just because it was $31 and too good to pass up at that price -- usually you can get one for around $50.
    Question 5. I am hoping to spend no more than 500 tops and get 3 routers that will run the highest IOS, with the options I need and two switches. Is this a reasonable lab and a reasonable amount to expect to spend?

1721 ("desk mounts" with max memory & power brick) are sometimes available for around $50 and run 12.4T -- and come with 1 Ethernet port and WIC slots. They also run SDM & do router-on-a-stick.

Plus the 1700 IOS is supported under Dynamips (and Dynagen/GNS3) if you want to build a larger routing lab in the future.
    Question 6. Do I need wic-1t Modules for my lab?
    Yes. You want them for the WAN topics.

I did most of my routing with my WAN ports -- since dual WAN ports were cheaper than buying routers (or modules) with dual Ethernet or Fast Ethernet ports.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mike, thanks for all your help. I am only shooting for CCNA right now and if I really get into it I may make a total move to cisco and go CCNP.

So here is what I am getting from your response.

I need routers with WIC-1t preferably running 12.4 IOS and am probably best off going with 2950 switches. Is it possible you could provide me with a speceific lab list, IOS versions, and such? Also, I am guessing ebay is the better choice than ciscokits
  • Options
    Saratoga ScottSaratoga Scott Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have just procured a 1721. What should I populate the WIC slots with?
    I have several 2500 series routers and a 2950T.
    I have SDM, CNA and GNS3. Now I just need to begin.
    Any suggestions on the 1721 would be appreciated.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I have just procured a 1721. What should I populate the WIC slots with?
    I have several 2500 series routers and a 2950T.
    I have SDM, CNA and GNS3. Now I just need to begin.
    Any suggestions on the 1721 would be appreciated.
    You don't need to tag onto another thread if you already started a brand new thread :P

I'll reply to your new thread.