Options

Practice labs for the CCNA / CCENT

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
Anyone know of a good place to get practice labs for the CCENT/CCNA to practice with routers/switches? I am getting to point of feeling overwhelmed by all the commands icon_sad.gif

On an off question, how on earth do you guys memorize these sometimes obscure commands? I know that some of you are Cisco nerd-geniuses and it blows my mind how well you know the commands.

Comments

• Options
    jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
    I'm nowhere near a Cisco nerd genius...yet but...
    Usually I just copy lab examples from books/videos, or try and make up my own. As far as remembering commands its kinda hard at first but the question mark is your friend!
    Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
    http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
    HTC students encouraged to join :)
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Anyone know of a good place to get practice labs for the CCENT/CCNA to practice with routers/switches?
    You could search the forum for http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/42260-ccna-lab-workbook.html
    how on earth do you guys memorize these sometimes obscure commands?
    Lab Practice and Repetition -- for the stuff you should know for the exam(s).

And in real life for the really obscure options you check the Cisco Configuration Guides or Command References -- if the ? doesn't help with what an option really is or does.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »

Thanks Mike, sometimes it's a little discouraging when I see massive amount of commands I need to memorize. Especially since I don't want to just pass, but actually know the stuff.

Does anyone think CBT Nuggets is worth it for the CCNA exam?
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    CBT Nuggets is good for filing in any gaps, same with Chris Bryant's (CCIE # 12933) Train Signal Videos. I would not use them as your "primary" source of studies. As for labs, the best thing you can do to be honest to learn, is set up your own. I thought the same thing that you are thinking when I was getting start, "I don't know where to start, can I find some labs out there to help me understand this stuff." But, to be honest with you since I was in your position as well, the BEST thing for you is to just start chopping away. Just set up your own labs, make your own lab diagrams, make your own lab scenarios. Do you think you won't mess something up? Chances are that is a no, you will, then you will have to fix it, which will help you learn it better than someone already setting up the labs or lab scenarios for you.

I also thought the same thing as you in regards to the commands. There REALLY are so many commands. Especially once you get past the CCNA and start moving toward the CCNP like I am. Then you have more commands on top of the ones you already learned, to do with Switching (BCMSN), routing (BSCI), and I haven't even made it to the ONT or ISCW yet. But, the real key is, practice, practice, lab, lab, lab. The more you use the commands the more they will stick. Chances are you're never going to remember "every single command." But, that's why we have IOS help! You can start the command use the ? and then fill in the gaps. Once you see the part you may have missed it will come back and you will be like, "Oh yeah that's how I do it again."
  • Options
    1number91number9 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do you have Packet Tracer? If you do I can try and find some of the old labs from my Academy courses.
  • Options
    1number9 wrote: »
    Do you have Packet Tracer? If you do I can try and find some of the old labs from my Academy courses.

Don't you have to be a student to get Packet Tracer? If so, no I do not have a copy, and won't be able to get one.
  • Options
    1number91number9 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i guess i could just give the scenarios.
  • Options
    cleanwithitcleanwithit Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Flashcards, and repetitive use.
    A+, Network +, Linux +, MCP, MCTS, CCENT

A.S Network Administration
  • Options
    N3tWrkNutN3tWrkNut Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am using Chris Bryant labs. You can go to www.thebryantadvantage.com. I like it better than train signal and you can use his racks. Its nice.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    N3tWrkNut wrote: »
    I am using Chris Bryant labs. You can go to www.thebryantadvantage.com. I like it better than train signal and you can use his racks. Its nice.

Racks are nice.. Cisco ones that is... LOL