Options

CCNA Bootcamps help

kudarkudar Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a Bachelors in Network Engineering Technology and have been working as a Sys Admin for a small company for 6 months. I would like to get my CCNA ASAP and was thinking of going to a week long bootcamp.

What are the best/affordable camps for CCNA?
Should I do a CCNA/CCNP combo camp instead?

Are there any camps for around $1,000 that offer a guarantee and include test vouchers?

Networking vets input or suggestions are appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    I should also add that I plan on pursuing a position as a Network Engineer.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The official training courses or a bootcamp are fine when work pays for them. And even then you need to do a bunch of reading and preparation before the class/bootcamp so that you don't get lost on day 1.

A lot of bootcamps are just "**** camps." Some go as far as to hand out **** of the stolen exam questions, others just "teach from the ****."

A combo CCNA/CCNP camp would most likely be a "**** camp."

A real network engineer usually gets their CCNA and a JOB to gain experience -- then starts work on the CCNP to enhance their skills.

A CCNA/CCNP with no networking experience might get you a job on a help desk answering a phone and reading a script -- but so would experience working the drive through window at McDonalds and People Skills.

If work pays for it, try to take the ICND1/ICND2 courses from an official Cisco Training Partner/Learning Center. Otherwise look for a local Cisco Network Academy if you have to pay for it yourself -- it's not a fast option, but its a GOOD option.

Self Study can be as fast as you want it (and as how motivated and dedicated you are) -- and could even be your cheapest option. Depending where you are you can build a home lab or rent rack time -- and still do it a lot cheaper than a bootcamp.

The **** Camps might "guarantee" you pass the exam, but they don't guarantee you gain the knowledge and skills of the topics listed in the exam blueprints -- and they don't guarantee you can get by a job interview for a Cisco networking job.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    I have been reading Lammle's CCNA study guide and watching his corresponding 14 DVD set. I will be well prepared before I go into the camp. I am just looking for an affordable one where I will get some lab experience, test vouchers, guarantee of passing. I have done cisco labs throughout my studies in college.

I figure that by the time I buy lab equiptment and pay for test vouchers with no guarantee of passing all while spending a month studying, I could just pay for a bootcamp and be done with it and get an entry level networking administrator job.
  • Options
    Ya, my current job wont pay for the bootcamp. We dont have enough network equipment for me to convince them its necessary. Plus I dont plan on spending much more time there.
  • Options
    kudar wrote: »
    I could just pay for a bootcamp and be done with it
    There's still no guarantee you'd pass -- and lot of time the "guarantee" is a 2nd voucher if you fail the first time.

Another option are the 3rd party CCIE Workbook Vendors. Those guys seem to be taking their investment in CCIE training, classrooms, online training software (and knowledgeable instructors) and getting into CCNA/CCNP training.

Yep -- CCIE Training | CCIE Routing and Switching Training - CCIE Voice Lab | CCIE Lab Boot Camp has CCENT/CCNA on their home page....

CCIE Lab Training | Voice, Security, Routing and Switching | CCNA has CCENT/CCNA combo....

Ah -- Professional and Associate options on the menu bar of CCIE Lab Training | CCNA, CCNP, CCVP, CCSP Training | INE

Internetwork Expert has their pre-recorded Online Class On Demand Option for $395 (plus a 30% discount). The CCNA/CCNP bundle is $595 (plus the 30% discount) -- and hopefully includes future updates for when the CCNP changes next. This probably competes more with the CBT Nuggets or Trainsignal training videos (or those Lammle DVDs you have).

GAK!!! I just saw the price on the 10 day CCENT/CCNA NLI/CCBootcamp icon_eek.gif

IPExpert doesn't mention their prices so they don't scare you off... but all the CCIE Vendors usually offer some deals, especially if they have a class with open seats. I'd expect them to do the same for their CCNA/CCNP training.

The good thing about any of the CCIE Vendors is that they aren't CheatCamps and they don't guarantee any brain dead idiot can pass the exam after taking their bootcamps.
  • Options
    You could check out CCNA CCNP Cisco Security Certification Exam, CCNA Boot Camp CBT

Chris Bryant is the no nonsense instructor on the TrainSignal Videos -- and has his Ultimate Study Guides. He probably still has his study guide/rack access options available.

While it's still more of a "self-study" option, the Chris Bryant cult members rave about his materials -- and his quick response to emails.
  • Options
    elphrank0elphrank0 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just came back from Todd Lammle's CCNA Bootcamp from Dallas TX, please view the following review here: GlobalNet CCNA Training Boot Camp - Lammle Forum

He provides a testing voucher and can get you over to the testing center which is like a mile or so away from where the class is. Testing is provided the Friday of the week of the bootcamp. It is not 1000 dollars though!
  • Options
    so... how much was it? did you end up taking the test afterward or did you waste the voucher?
  • Options
    kudar wrote: »
    so... how much was it? did you end up taking the test afterward or did you waste the voucher?

I still have the voucher, there was no way I could take the test that friday! I have been studying my ass off still. If you dedicate yourself to it during the week, we did have a guy pass. He truely knew he was ready, and was studying till 130a every night. I was in bed by 1130 4 nights! I just knew I wasn't ready. Didn't put enough effort into studying.

You either know or you don't your ready. That is what is hard about this test. Knowing when or not to.
  • Options
    elphrank0 wrote: »
    I still have the voucher, there was no way I could take the test that friday! I have been studying my ass off still. If you dedicate yourself to it during the week, we did have a guy pass. He truely knew he was ready, and was studying till 130a every night. I was in bed by 1130 4 nights! I just knew I wasn't ready. Didn't put enough effort into studying.

You either know or you don't your ready. That is what is hard about this test. Knowing when or not to.

It would also help if I gave the website where I found the info to take the class! www.globalnettraining.com
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I am a training camp alumni,

Accelerated IT Training :: Training Camp

I've been talking to the lead Cisco trainer for the company, they actually have lab equipment in the class, and based on my previous experience with them, you'll get a lot of knowledge. They offer a variety of Cisco courses, but I suggest strarting with a CCENT/CCNA course or CCNA/CCNA Security course.