Options

10k page challenge starts in two days

2»

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice ambition everyone. Glad to see this is becoming an annual tradition.
  • Options
    hill1221hill1221 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I plan to WRITE 10K pages, not just read them.:)
    I make technology work for people, not people work for technology!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    hill1221 wrote: »
    I plan to WRITE 10K pages, not just read them.:)

Are you going to keep us hanging? Are you writing a book?
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Are you going to keep us hanging? Are you writing a book?

Thats a pretty long book.

Maybe he is going to write in his diary every day :P
  • Options
    hill1221hill1221 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been working on a set of technical manuals for Technology Security for a while.:)

I hink the first should be ready by March. icon_study.gif
    I make technology work for people, not people work for technology!
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    People are going ahead with this? This goal is just a high-water mark; how can it achieve anything without the material being re-read, note taking, labwork etc.

Or does everyone here have a photographic memory? icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    People are going ahead with this? This goal is just a high-water mark; how can it achieve anything without the material being re-read, note taking, labwork etc.

For me the goal is just something I'd do anyway. I try to spend at least 4 hours a day reading
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For me the goal is just something I'd do anyway. I try to spend at least 4 hours a day reading

Yea, I stopped keeping track last year since I estimated that I'd hit my target around August. I probably do 1000-1500 pages/month.
  • Options
    brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    It's funny, I never thought about counting the number of pages I read until I saw all those threads, I just had a quick look at my reading list and it looks like I'm going to easily hit about 20000 pages this year...
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

It's more of a fun goal... icon_wink.gif

You know they must be doing this since they are achieving their goal of getting certifications.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I doubt I'll make the 10K pages, but I want to at least try to get some non-IT related reading done. Just got the George Carlin memoir for Christmas, and it's the first non-techy book I've read in a few years...excellent read so far...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    10K is a lot.

ISCW, ONT, CCNA:V, QoS should make up the bulk of it for me this year :)
  • Options
    ObdurateObdurate Member Posts: 108
    Since I decided to take up this challenge:

Picked up RAMA II from Arthur C. Clarke -- I liked the first one, but this second one is a little sluggish.

I know I should be reading all the classics, but after working all day and studying for my certs, the last thing I want to read is anything serious.

icon_study.gif

~Obdurate~
  • Options
    Due to it being pretty quiet at work this week, I am 200 pages in and on track for 10k!
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637

Perhaps a better way to explain it is a commitment to learning a little bit more and getting a little bit better at your job every single day. You need some way to measure that goal - some use certifications or promotions - and this is a way you can measure progress every day. I only have 4 exams planned for this year, and I've done that many in a month before. Certifications or a job change won't be a metric for me this year, but I can focus on reading goals and maybe pick up a few IT books that aren't specifically cert-related and work to get better at some of the things I already do.

It's only 27 pages of reading a day, but 'Annual 10,000 Page Challenge' sounds better than 'Annual 27 Pages Per Day Challenge'.

BTW, I'm 350 pages into the Exchange 2010 Administrators Pocket Consultant so I am ahead of schedule. (I'm also padding my stats with small pages.) ;)
  • Options
    someone once put it that even if you only absorb 10% of what you read, thats still 1000 pages of information you didn't otherwise know. Thats more than what most people do in their lives I bet.