Options

BlackBerry Certification Program

IT_FANIT_FAN Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
Does the Blackberry Certification Program have any demand within the IT market? I understand that blackberrys are very popular but do the certifications have value?

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Certification Programs

For those techies who passed the blackberry exams, how does it rate in difficulty compare to CompTIA, Microsoft, or Cisco exams?
CompTIA A+ (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Network + (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Security + (2008 Edition) | CASP | CCDA | CCNA | CCNAS | CCNAV | CCDP | CCNP | CCNP:Security | MCTS | MCP | MCSA | MCSE | MCITP:EA | ITIL v3 Foundation 8)

Comments

• Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    I see quite a few job listings (level 1-2 techs) that ask for Blackberry support. Even though the certification isn't required for these jobs, I couldn't see how taking these exams could hurt you (and at $150 an exam, it isn't too pricey). Hmm....all things considered, I would shoot for one.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This appears to be only study info they offer. An Amazon search produced zero certification books.

Element K Instructor-Led Training Courseware - Advanced Search
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Yes, it looks like BB has admin, architect, and tech support certs:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Certification Programs

Page 18 talks about exam prep:
    BlackBerry Certification Program Guide (PDF)

And I don't see any third-party BB cert study books anywhere either. BES-certified people are in demand; I guess they get their training directly from BB.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've never even heard of a blackberry certification and there headquarters is less than an hr away from downtown toronto. I know a truckload of people who work there and I doubt any of them have ever had or ever will have to get BB certified (whatever that is). I've never even seen them advertise a job that asks for that cert.

Most tech jobs i've seen may ask you to be familiar with it but certainly not to be certified. I'd spend my hard earned money on other more valuable in the workplace certs than learning how to administer a BES environment which take about 1 hr.
  • Options
    SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    I have completed two blackberry exams and yes they are on a par with Microsoft for difficulty.

Not much training material is available as BlackBerry run their own courses. Its pretty much a closed shop, they sell the course, sell the exam, sell the hardware and software.......

My employer wanted it as a way to differentiate us from other IT providers. Like all things cert V experience is similar, but the piece of paper can help "impress" if needed.
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    GAngel wrote: »
    I've never even heard of a blackberry certification and there headquarters is less than an hr away from downtown toronto.
    icon_scratch.gif I'm not sure what one has to do with the other.
    I know a truckload of people who work there and I doubt any of them have ever had or ever will have to get BB certified (whatever that is).
    If you run into any of them, do ask and let us know, otherwise we're just guessing here.
    I've never even seen them advertise a job that asks for that cert.
    I would think RIM would be the last place advertising for people with BB certs. RIM can train/certify their new employees as they are hired. The BB certs are for marketing and support training purposes, and probably considered little more than a profit center by RIM itself.
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I have reviewed this certification track. But cant say that I have ever noticed a job posting requiring this BB Cert. If you are currently a BES admin, I would not see any harm obtaining the cert. Of course this would give you justification when asking for that much needed raise. :) Something to add to that great HR folder.

But I would focus on those industry leading certifications. And obtain the BB cert in the interim when not studying for the other big certs. Like mentioned earlier BB support is typically Helpdesk 1 & 2 level job functions.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    CChNCChN Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    icon_scratch.gif I'm not sure what one has to do with the other.

You're missing the point, JD. Blackberry certifications arn't in demand and I love black coffee and eggs in the morning.

:D
    RFCs: the other, other, white meat.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are BES Admin or Support, then take it if you get re-imbursement or as your career progressive step because I don't see BB is pushing it.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    GiddyGGiddyG Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took (and passed) the BlackBerry Certified System Admin exam a while back. There wasn't much info about the exam as such - certainly no Sybex books or equivalent; however, there is plenty of very good reading on the RIM site, including stuff on IT Policies. I also took a 3 day course with Vodafone.

Personally, I didn't find it as hard as the MS exams such as the 70-640 or the 270... on a par with the 271/272 I would say. Obviously, the higher exams (which I have not taken) will be more difficult.

It hasn't done anything for my career but, then again, I only took it to see how much I knew about BlackBerry (one of my roles is Service Manager for BlackBerry).
    WIP:

CCENT; CCNA; CWSP; 70-680; CompTIA Stitchup+
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would be careful with that line of thinking. There are also only a few CIW Professionals out there, but they are also not in demand. If you want to take the certification for knowledge than I would do it for that reason only.