Manga

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Happy New Years (the page counting starts as of 4 hours ago for me)

Does anyone here read manga/watch anime? I know of at least 2 people that do (besides me). Personally my favorite manga/anime has to be Dragon Ball Z. To me it was ahead of its time. I read Naruto, Bleach, Belzebub, Full Metal Alchemist, Ghost Sweaper, Dragon Ball, Slayers, Death Notes, Case Closed (sometimes), One Piece (sometimes), and some others now and again.

Comments

• wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I watch anime, but dont really get much time for reading manga. Dragonball full stop is awesome, but ive watched so many more, including:

first season of bleach
    5cm per second (3 part amv)
    clannad (epic anime)
    chobits
    code geass (awesome)
    elfen lied
    maburaho
    happy lesson
    07-ghost
    full metal alchemist

and the list goes on and on :)

glad to see that others here watch anime too, it gives a good perspective on things :)
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I only have time for Bleach (anime/manga) and Naruto (manga only thus far). I'm curious to see what the more experienced enthusiasts recommend. One Piece seems like another popular one I might check out.

Anyone have any favorite anime movies (Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, etc.) or shorter series (Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, etc.)? Those might already be on the list; I'm not familiar with a lot of those...

Nihongo ga wakarimasu ka?
  • apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    I only watch 2 anime series on a regular basis. Both of these are available on DVD and are definitely worth it!

Blood+ (Japanese) - A new twist on a familiar concept that has an awesome script, great voice actors, and an amazing score by Hans Zimmer and Mark Mancina -- this is by far the best production I've ever seen in a television show.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (Japanese or English dub) - This satisfies the little techie in me and is riddled with mature, political themes and a hint of philosophy.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    apena7 wrote: »
    I only watch 2 anime series on a regular basis. Both of these are available on DVD and are definitely worth it!

Blood+ (Japanese) - A new twist on a familiar concept that has an awesome script, great voice actors, and an amazing score by Hans Zimmer and Mark Mancina -- this is by far the best production I've ever seen in a television show.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (Japanese or English dub) - This satisfies the little techie in me and is riddled with mature, political themes and a hint of philosophy.

Blood+ is decent. Have you seen the live action movie (Blood the last Vampire) that came out a few months ago. It was interesting.

GITS is possible the best anime ever. Do you watch 2nd gig at all?

Oh and Code Geass is pretty Sweet. Check out the splinter mangas. Code Geass: Nightmare

Cowboy Bebop is classic, basically perfect throughout the story. I think samari champloo is the same way. I also like Historys Strongest Disciple as well.

I need to learn Japanese so I can get my manga faster.
  • JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    Bleach, Naruto, Death notes, started with watching anime series and then moved to manga itself. Read Free Manga Online at One Manga. Online manga scans reader. has most of the manga out there.
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    I keep up with bleach and naruto anime and manga. I love the Gundam series especially 00. Right now I'm watching the entire Full Metal Alchemist series.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yep watch / read as much as I can when I get time. Just waiting for the new season of anime to begin airing over in Japan.

Jellokun's Anime List - MyAnimeList.net

I also do a weekly podcast on anime called "The Banzai Beat" you can find it in iTunes or check out the site The Banzai Beat

Glad to see other fans here on T-E :)
  • apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    knwminus wrote: »
    Blood+ is decent. Have you seen the live action movie (Blood the last Vampire) that came out a few months ago. It was interesting.

GITS is possible the best anime ever. Do you watch 2nd gig at all?

The live action Blood: The Last Vampire movie was probably the worst film I've ever seen (well, it was about on par with Plan 9 from Outer Space ;))

GITS: 2nd Gig, Innocence and Solid State Society are also some of my favorite shows/movies.
    Usus magister est optimus
    apena7 wrote: »
    The live action Blood: The Last Vampire movie was probably the worst film I've ever seen (well, it was about on par with Plan 9 from Outer Space ;))

GITS: 2nd Gig, Innocence and Solid State Society are also some of my favorite shows/movies.

I didn't say it was good, I said it was interesting. It could have been amazing if they had money and actors/actresses with talent, and a plot that wasn't puddle shallow. And at least it wasn't Dragon Ball:Evolution. That was the worse adaptation from anything to anything.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I guess I'm more into the nonsense/funny stuff. Right now I'm going through a lot of old stuff.

Ranma 1/2
    Lucky Star
    Love Hina (stupid)
    Kimagure Orange Road
    Tenchi

I recommend Dragon Half if anyone comes across it. It's the most bizarre thing I've ever scene.
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    I guess I'm more into the nonsense/funny stuff. Right now I'm going through a lot of old stuff.

Ranma 1/2
    Lucky Star
    Love Hina (stupid)
    Kimagure Orange Road
    Tenchi

I recommend Dragon Half if anyone comes across it. It's the most bizarre thing I've ever scene.

Ranma 1/2 is pretty funny. I agree love Hina is stupid. I haven't watch the other ones so I may have to look them up.
    knwminus wrote: »
    Ranma 1/2 is pretty funny. I agree love Hina is stupid. I haven't watch the other ones so I may have to look them up.

Been making my way through Ranma over the past few years. It's great coz they've expanded a one joke idea over about 150 episodes and it never gets tired.

Except for Lucky Star (2x episodes and I was hooked), the rest are old (still great). Hard to find new, wacky stuff. Other cool series (although a few years old) are:
    Dirty pair
    Nuku Nuku Super Cat Girl
    Dominion Tank Police
    Mouse
    Lupin the Third (Spielberg said Castle of Cagliostro has the best car chase ever)

Damn this thread has spiked my interest again.
    dynamik wrote: »
    Nihongo ga wakarimasu ka?

Sukoshi.
    Whatever you watch, make sure it's in Japanese. Nothing kills anime like dubbed English.
  • girdavid178girdavid178 Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Naruto & Bleach rock.....
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Well to chime in with a few of my favourites, on the shonen side there is Full Metal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop and Rurouni Kenshin. Used to like Bleach but it got really ridiculous and stupid so it went bye-bye. The manga is much better than the show. Cross Game is one that I'm currently enjoying. For the softer side of things there's Nana and Skip Beat and Honey & Clover. Fantastic series there with great humour.

For all time favourites there is Monster and Samurai Champloo and Evangelion. The Monster show amazingly enough is just as good as the manga too. For a few manga only picks I loved Blame! and BioMega. That artist does some solid pen and ink work.

I'm not at all a fan of fan service shows and mostly formulaic shows. So I can get rather picky at times.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    Sukoshi.
    Whatever you watch, make sure it's in Japanese. Nothing kills anime like dubbed English.

Agreed. American Voice actors simply blow. A prime example of this is the voice actor for Gin in Bleach, terrible.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm a relative Anime n00b and tend to like the more serious stuff - e.g. Full Metal Panic = :) , Gundam Seed = icon_sad.gif .

My Faves I guess would be

Claymoore
    Darker than Black
    Vexille (Dead Can Dance in an Anime?...does it get better :) )
    Gurran Lagan
    Elfen Lied
    Patlabor (1 and 2)
    Ghost in the machine (all of them, incl. SACs)
    Ergo Proxy
    Appleseed 1 and 2 (CGIs)
    Final Fantasy Advent Children.
    Evangelion (some day/some version they will get the ending right)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    More of a Hentai guy myself.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    Haven't really read that much manga but really like the following animes:
    Death Note (I'm sure die hard anime/manga fans will laugh at me)
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Gilgamesh
    Lain
  • matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    Nuku Nuku Super Cat Girl
    w00t... Not often someone mentions this series.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wow, secretly all IT professionals are manga / anime lovers :D and i can't blame you! :D

Ive been watching too much bleach lately icon_cyclops_ani.gif

lol.
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese