Options

2 Transparent Mode Questions

typeshtypesh Member Posts: 168
Hey..

Was wondering if someone could help me understand 2 things about Transparent Mode switches please.

(1) Why can Transparent Mode switches use the Extended VLAN Range, whereas Server & Client Mode cannot?

(2) Why do Transparent Mode switches store VLAN info in the running-config as well as the vlan.dat (what is the benefit of storing the vlan definitions in the running-config rather than just the vlan.dat)? I can't seem to link the autonomy of Transparent Mode switches to the fact that vlan info is stored in the running-config.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    elphrank0elphrank0 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Transparent, puts the switch into Locally significant mode. This means the database remains on the switch, and it does not pass it's own database, that is why it can use the extended.

"VTP only learns about normal-range vlans, with vlan id's 1-1005." - Lammle, Todd, CCNA Study Guide, 6th, PG 565

Also note, it is stored in NVRAM which is Startup-config, not running.
  • Options
    elphrank0elphrank0 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just did some more research trying to find out info on your second question and couldn't but I did find another useful link for your first question. VTP V1 & 2 did not have the ability to send out the advertisements for Extended vlans, but VTP V3 does now: Best Practices for Catalyst 4500/4000, 5500/5000, and 6500/6000 Series Switches Running CatOS Configuration and Management - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    typesh wrote: »
    Hey..

(2) Why do Transparent Mode switches store VLAN info in the running-config as well as the vlan.dat (what is the benefit of storing the vlan definitions in the running-config rather than just the vlan.dat)? I can't seem to link the autonomy of Transparent Mode switches to the fact that vlan info is stored in the running-config.

Basically, vlan database mode is being deprecated. Cisco has been trying to get rid of it for years. You can basically do both modes for backwards compatibility (at least as far as tech knowledge goes), but it's advised that you're competent with both methods of adding a vlan, and be aware that someday, database mode is going to go away
  • Options
    typeshtypesh Member Posts: 168
    Hey thanks so much for the replies and the link.