Options

Need advice for my CCNP home lab

get_ccnpget_ccnp Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all.. this is my very first post.. I am building my CCNP home lab...
Actually, i already cleared my BCMSN last yr.. (I know, i should have taken the BCSI first).. anyways, back to my lab..

thanx for your replies.. i am sorry... i should have added the serial and ethernet interfaces as well..

I am getting 3 x 3640's from a friend (4 Serial and 2 Ethernet interfaces on each router)

i am thinking of adding the following

All the routers are with the latest IOS 12.4.25!
1 x 3550 (should i get the 3550 with the POE or is it OK w/o the POE)
1 x 2611XM 256D/48F w/ CME and SDM -- (4 Serial and 2 ethernet)
3 x 2950 (either 12 port or 24 port ??)
1 x 2611 with 2 Ethernet ports
1 X 2509/2511 Terminal Access Server
1 x 2520 Frame relay router/switch with 4 serial ports (forgotten to add this in my intial post)

any deletions / additions / recoomendations..

Thanx for your responses in advance

Comments

• Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    If you're focusing on the BSCI and don't want to use GN3, you gotta make sure your routers have an IOS that can support ISIS, IPv6 and BGP... Also you gotta make sure you have plenty of WIC-1T or WIC-2Ts to simulate WANs, and use one router as a frame relay switch.
  • Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    You need more routers and L3 switches, router has to be a 2600XM series, you can also use GNS3 to simulate routing, and will just need an actual L3 switch 3550 is the cheapest you can go for I believe, I am in the process of trying to obtain a 3550 POE switches so I can also play around cisco phones.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    router has to be a 2600XM series
    No. A 3640/3660 would work just as well. A 2600XM and a 3600 will both run 12.4T up to 12.4.15T. The 3600 has more official support for MPLS as well. The 2600XM requires you to find a specific version of an older IOS. The disadvantage of a 3600 is that they're physically larger than a 2600XM and they don't have any built in interfaces. You need to buy a NM for each type of interface you want.
  • Options
    thanx for your replies.. i am sorry... i should have added the serial and ethernet interfaces as well..

I am getting 3 x 3640's from a friend (4 Serial and 2 Ethernet interfaces on each router)

i am thinking of adding the following

All the routers are with the latest IOS 12.4.25!
    1 x 3550 (should i get the 3550 with the POE or is it OK w/o the POE)
    1 x 2611XM 256D/48F w/ CME and SDM -- (4 Serial and 2 ethernet)
    3 x 2950 (either 12 port or 24 port ??)
    1 x 2611 with 2 Ethernet ports
    1 X 2509/2511 Terminal Access Server
    1 x 2520 Frame relay router/switch with 4 serial ports (forgotten to add this in my intial post)
  • Options
    suffahsuffah Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you using a lab book or making up your own labs?

Many of the topologies in the BSCI lab book (which I highly recommend) only required three routers. 3 x 3640 would work fine assuming you had enough serial modules.

It definitely seems like you have enough gear after your friend gives you the 3 3640's. I'd fill in the rest (if necessary) with dynamips.
  • Options
    suffah wrote: »
    Are you using a lab book or making up your own labs?

I'll be using the cisco lab portfolio book..

i understand the 3 routers should be enough for the BSCI, but what abt ISCW & ONT ?? will this gear be sufficient for ISCW & ONT ?? i was planning ot get all the gear at once..
  • Options
    ziggi138ziggi138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CCNP Lab Series ? Master Links | NetworkWorld.com Community

this is a great list of equipment for many different budgets