Options

Having trouble finding out how to add Comptia Certs to Microsoft Profile

joecontrerasjoecontreras Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
Can anyone help me figure out how to add my CompTia certifications to my Microsoft profile for elective credits? I saw it sometime last year but cannot figure out how to find it anymore.

Comments

• Options
    TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    Once the credentials are updated on your CompTIA transcript, you'll have to contact your MCP Regional Service Center to have them manually add your CompTIA certs to your Microsoft transcript. Keep in mind you need A+ and either Net+ or Security+ for it to count as an elective for your MCSA/E.
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....
  • Options
    Technito wrote: »
    Keep in mind you need A+ and either Net+ or Security+ for it to count as an elective for your MCSA/E.

I did notice on the Certification site it says A+ and Network+ or Security+ but on the Microsoft Certification Planner site it also lists A+ and Server+. Has this changed and the Certification Planner is now wrong?
  • Options
    Yeah I seen it too, at one point in time you could use A+ and Server+ as an elective. But it looks like that particular planner was last updated in 2006 (https://www.microsoft.com/australia/learning/mcp/partners.mspx). The latest requirements Server+ isn't listed (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcsa.aspx#tab2). Sadly to say, Microsoft has always been good for letting outdated information stay on the internet. But you should call your regional service center and explain that to them, and maybe they'll be willing to make an acception. As they can bend the rules and do things in your favor in special situations. No guarantee, but worth a try.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Can anyone help me figure out how to add my CompTia certifications to my Microsoft profile for elective credits? I saw it sometime last year but cannot figure out how to find it anymore.
    You'll have to publish your credentials to Microsoft via the CompTIA site using the "Transcripts" feature. You can send your CompTIA transcripts to anyone via email. In the case of MS, you can use the MCP help email address (mcphelp@microsoft.com) to send your credentials to, and you need to reference your MCP ID in the body of the request. If you're curious and want to know what it looks like before you send the transcript, you can send a test one to yourself first so you can be sure you're filling it in right...that's what I ended up doing.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Thanks! Just finished doing the above steps and will see if they give me the Server+ with A+ Elective option or if it is for real no longer accepted.
  • Options
    Just called my Regional Service Center and was told that the Server+ does count with the A+ for an elective so I officially now have my MCSA, although on the 2000 track. The representative then told me to take the 70-290 and the 70-291 and that would upgrade me to the Server 2003 MCSA and then I could continue from there. Does that seem like a correct statement because according to Microsoft's site there is no longer an upgrade path from the 2000 track?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just called my Regional Service Center and was told that the Server+ does count with the A+ for an elective so I officially now have my MCSA, although on the 2000 track. The representative then told me to take the 70-290 and the 70-291 and that would upgrade me to the Server 2003 MCSA and then I could continue from there. Does that seem like a correct statement because according to Microsoft's site there is no longer an upgrade path from the 2000 track?

If they are willing to why argue? icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    it's not really an upgrade per se - if you already took the 270 exam, and you already have the electives taken care of via the CompTIA exams, then adding the 290 & 291 would fulfill the requirements for MCSA. Officially, there is no longer an upgrade path, but you are in essence upgrading to the MCSA if you complete the requirements for it.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    skrpune wrote: »
    it's not really an upgrade per se - if you already took the 270 exam, and you already have the electives taken care of via the CompTIA exams, then adding the 290 & 291 would fulfill the requirements for MCSA. Officially, there is no longer an upgrade path, but you are in essence upgrading to the MCSA if you complete the requirements for it.

That is where I am confused. The Microsoft Certs I have are:
    70-210, 70-215, 70-218, and 70-219. All of these were on the 2000 track. Only other certs I have are the CompTia A+ and Server+. I am just trying to get more current and do not want to go down a wrong path and take exams I don't need. So this is why I am being precautious. I want to go the MCSE/MCITP:EA track.
  • Options
    That is where I am confused. The Microsoft Certs I have are:
    70-210, 70-215, 70-218, and 70-219. All of these were on the 2000 track. Only other certs I have are the CompTia A+ and Server+. I am just trying to get more current and do not want to go down a wrong path and take exams I don't need. So this is why I am being precautious. I want to go the MCSE/MCITP:EA track.

It's good to hear they let you use A+ and Server+ as your elective. As skprune was trying to say, basically it really isn't an upgrade. 70-290 and 70-291 are core exams (required exams for 2003). With your CompTIA certs you've already verified you could use that as your elective, so that's done and out the way. 70-210 is retired, but according to the requirements if you've already passed this exam before it retired you CAN use this as your client operating system exam. So count that done. Therefore you don't have to worry about taking 70-270. All you need to do is take 70-290 and 70-291 and you'll have your 2003 MCSA.
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone that responded and helped me out with this! I just heard back from them below is the track they recommend to get me to my goal. Looks right to me and this is what I will follow:

As the that upgrade exam (70-292) from MCSA 2000 to MCSA 20003 Certification are now reitred hence you may upgrade your certification to MCSA 2003 by taking following exams.
    Exam 70-290
    Exam 70-291

Exam 70-290 and Exam 70-291 will give you the credit for Exam 70-292. Once you would achieve MCSA certification on Windows server 2003, you may only take Windows server 2008 transition exam 70-648 in order to achieve following MCTS certifications. By passing exam 70-648 you will earn following certifications:
    MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Configuration
    and
    MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure Configuration

Then, if you would take the exam 70-646, you would also achieve MCITP: Server Administrator certification on Windows server 2008.
    You may then take these exams to upgrade to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator certification on Windows server 2008:
    70-643
    70-620 or 70-624
    1 Professional series Enterprise Administrator certification ? 70-647
  • Options
    Macpro76Macpro76 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□

I sent Microsoft my COMptia transcript yesterday. THis is what the MCP rep told me:

=====
    Hello Tushar,

This is a follow up response to your phone call regarding upgrade path from MCSA 2003 certification.

Once you would achieve MCSA and MCSE certification on Windows server 2003, you may only take Windows server 2008 transition exam 70-649 in order to achieve following MCTS certifications as there would be no need to take exam 70-648:

MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Configuration
    MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure Configuration
    MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure Configuration

You may then take these exams to upgrade to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator certification on Windows server 2008:

1 Windows T Configuring exam ? 70-680.
    1 Professional series Enterprise Administrator certification ? 70-647

MCITP: Enterprise Administrator 2008 certification will be retired on July 31, 2013. You must meet all of the requirements for this certification prior to July 31, 2013, in order to earn this certification.

If you would take the exam 70-646 with all these exams, you would also achieve MCITP: Server Administrator certification on Windows server 2008.

By passing the exams for this certification, you?ll earn your MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification.

To upgrade MCSA: Windows Server 2008 Certification and MCITP: Enterprise Administrator on Windows Server 2008, you can take exam, 70-417 Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA Windows Server 2012.

Please visit the below mentioned link to confirm the above information and to check the details for the upgrade exam:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcsa-windows-server-certification.aspx

In case you want to upgrade to MCSE 2012 after you achieve MCSA Windows Server 2012, you will have to take two exams:

70-413 and 70-414.

For more information and about the direct path for MCSE: Server infrastructure, please visit the below given link:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcse-server-infrastructure-certification.aspx

=====================

Nevertheless, I am still confused.
    [ ] PDI+, [ ] Cloud Essentials, /B] [B Project+
    [*
    ] CompTIA: A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Healthcare IT, Green IT
    /B]*[SIZE=2 MTA: Server, OS, Network, Security
    /SIZE]*[SIZE=2 Apple: ACSP v10.8, ACMT v10.8, Mac Integration v10.7 & v10.8 [/SIZE]

Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tdadarwala/