Oracle Database 10g Express Edition Available for Free Download

SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
As was mentioned by bighornsheep in another post, Oracle provides a free version of their 10g database product to work with if you're a student, developer, or simply wanting to get some hands-on practice with the Oracle product, (much like Microsoft's SQL Server Express). I thought I'd make a dedicated thread for those looking to work with Oracle databases and don't quite know where to start.

It's available for both Windows and Linux, download it here:
icon_arrow.gifOracle Database 10g Express Edition

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    As was mentioned by bighornsheep in another post, Oracle provides a free version of their 10g database product to work with if you're a student, developer, or simply wanting to get some hands-on practice with the Oracle product, (much like Microsoft's SQL Server Express). I thought I'd make a dedicated thread for those looking to work with Oracle databases and don't quite know where to start.

It's available for both Windows and Linux, download it here:
    icon_arrow.gifOracle Database 10g Express Edition

I think SQL Express is easier to work with IMO but I have used both and I like both.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Awesome. I've been itching to get some experience with Oracle products, and I somehow missed this. Thanks!

I'd love to return the favor; how do drinks on Tuesday sound? ;)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    dynamik wrote: »
    Awesome. I've been itching to get some experience with Oracle products, and I somehow missed this. Thanks!

I'd love to return the favor; how do drinks on Tuesday sound? ;)

Heh, sounds good to me.

• cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    You can download the Enterprise edition and use it for educational purposes straight from the Oracle Website. (I've read the eula and lots of us in the Oracle world have been doing this for years) You just need a free account before downloading.

With that said, let me point you to ORACLE-BASE - Oracle DBA and development articles, scripts, HOWTOs and forums (8i, 9i, 10g, 11g)

I've been a long time reader of Tim's blog and site. It has a lot of useful articles about installing Oracle, Administering Oracle, installing Oracle RAC on Linux VM's, etc. It's a great resource.

I'll be here hanging out here in the Oracle forum more now that we have this place. Post any questions you may have. I administer many single instance Oracle DB servers running on Windows and Linux, and a few RAC clusters running on Linux.

I'll be starting my prep for the Oracle Certified Master DBA lab this fall, and plan on taking the lab sometime mid-next year.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    cablegod wrote: »
    I'll be starting my prep for the Oracle Certified Master DBA lab this fall, and plan on taking the lab sometime mid-next year.

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress! :D

• Arni_OraArni_Ora Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi i am new to this form .. i am looking for discussions on Oracle, Sql Pl/Sql and UNIX/Linux .. Can anyone please suggest how i need to start up?