Options

Is a 3016 switch useful in any way in a home lab?

Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
I was just given a 3016 switch for free. Does it have any use in my home lab? Does it at least help with studying spanning tree protocol? What kind of information can I study with it, and what kind of labs can I do with it?... or is it just trash icon_sad.gif Thanks for the input!
Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You could use it to set up a dedicated OSPF DR/BDR Election Lab with any extra 2501 routers you have laying around. Also good for CDP Labs (from the 2501 routers). :D

You could plug it in as your 4th switch (along with the 3 switches I usually recommend for a CCNA Lab) and see if it becomes the Root Bridge -- since it probably has a low MAC address.

You could do ISL trunks.

You could use it as a coaster for your coffee cup.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
    I suppose I could ask the same question about my 3524xl? I know some commands are either not there or are different... I got two other 2950 switches though, or is the 3524xl just a big coaster or door stop? lol
    Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
    http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
    HTC students encouraged to join :)
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    jjbrog wrote: »
    I suppose I could ask the same question about my 3524xl? I know some commands are either not there or are different... I got two other 2950 switches though, or is the 3524xl just a big coaster or door stop? lol
    A 3500XL is fine as a 3rd switch and more useful than the 3016. There are some command line differences but if you're aware of them then it is okay.
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Does anyone know how to recover the password on the 3016?
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU