Options

What is a Virtual Link?

DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
I've checked google got 1 source that is very vague, and i've checked Todd Lammle's CCNA book & Boson's CCNA book. I cannot get a good explanation of what it is in lamens terms. Can someone help me out please?

Comments

• Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Virtual Links are related to OSPF. In OSPF every area has to touch Area 0 (the backbone). A Virtual Link allows one area to traverse another area to touch area 0. So:

(Area 0)---(Area 1)---(Area 2)

You would have a Virtual Link between Area 0 and Area 2 so Area 2 is touching Area 0. It's basically just a tunnel to Area 0 through another area.

I hope that makes sense.

Edit: Check out this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094aaa.shtml#virtuallinks
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Also, I don't think you need to worry about Virtual Links at the CCNA level.
  • Options
    DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
    It's not for my CCNA, I got a new job at a NOC and one of their MAPS we use for monitoring WAN links has a Virtual Link going from Tulsa, OK to Lake Charles, LA. And I've never heard of a virtual link in my life until today.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It's not for my CCNA, I got a new job at a NOC and one of their MAPS we use for monitoring WAN links has a Virtual Link going from Tulsa, OK to Lake Charles, LA. And I've never heard of a virtual link in my life until today.

At this rate, you'll make not only a good CCNA candidate, but a good CCNP and even CCIE someday. The mindset, "I haven't seen this before, I should learn about it," is lacking all too much wherever I go.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    jonfc3sjonfc3s Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Virtual circuits,... also known as vitual links can also relate to Frame Relay.

Jon
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I totally agree. It is good you seen something and then asked about it! You don't see these until you get to the CCNP, BSCI portion of the exam, specifically OSPF. I like you attitude, it will take you far! That is how I am as well, if I see something I don't know, I ask and learn it.
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    ColbyNA wrote: »
    Virtual Links are related to OSPF. In OSPF every area has to touch Area 0 (the backbone). A Virtual Link allows one area to traverse another area to touch area 0. So:

Spot on.... mainly used when dis-contiguous areas are in the topology with no direct adjacency to Area 0

However.....

Just like to add that it's not a recommended configuration and if a final solution means using virtual-links then the design isn't a final solution....

adds complexity to a topology...... :)

DerekAustin - to find out whether the Map you are talking about is indeed a OSPF virtual link... If you have access to one of the routers login and execute the following 'show command.

show ip ospf virtual-links

BTW - I concur with Slowhand.... great use of initiative... I too am suffering from the wrath of NOC admins not worrying about the ins and outs of work assigned to them\or what the graphs are telling them.... icon_sad.gif

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP