Options

Eigrp/ospf

N3tWrkNutN3tWrkNut Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does anyone have a good way to remember stuff for these 2 area's of the CCNA test??? Mine is on monday and I have been studying and for some reason these two just don't want to stick. I have no problem with anything else just these. So if anyone has any way of making them stick in my head that would be great!!!

Oh, I am not looking for **** stuff either...I really want it to stick so I can move on the the CCNP. So if I don't get it now it won't help me later.

Thanks for any advice!! I appreciate any help. :D

Comments

• Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    What parts are you having trouble with?
  • Options
    N3tWrkNutN3tWrkNut Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just getting some of the commands down I guess. Variance, the tables, remembering the hello times. It seems like it would be kinda easy to remember some of this stuff but I keep mixing the 2 of them up. I have some lab time setup for this weekend so I am hoping that will help me.

I have no problems with switching or basic config stuff. I deal with mostly switches and can do that stuff pretty easily.

IPv6 is kind of a bugger too but I am more worried about the other 2.
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    N3tWrkNut wrote: »
    Just getting some of the commands down I guess. Variance, the tables, remembering the hello times. It seems like it would be kinda easy to remember some of this stuff but I keep mixing the 2 of them up. I have some lab time setup for this weekend so I am hoping that will help me.

I have no problems with switching or basic config stuff. I deal with mostly switches and can do that stuff pretty easily.

IPv6 is kind of a bugger too but I am more worried about the other 2.

How long have you been studying this stuff for ? It does take a while to digest EIGRP/OSPF if you are new to it. As with anything, the more hands on lab time you have with it, the easier it becomes.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    In truth, the only real way to get familiar with these protocols, (along with everything else,) is repetition and practice. Get yourself some hardware, or possibly GNS3, and work with both OSPF and EIGRP until you've got what you need to know down pat. Lacking the real thing, make sure you at least hit the simulators as much as possible to get that hands-on practice.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Like everyone said, practice, practice, practice. Read, then lab, watch videos then lab, read more, lab more. There's no magic memorization tool for these protocols, at least not that I know of.
  • Options
    AD227529AD227529 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Remember that OSPF uses areas, while EIGRP has no concept of areas. You can summarize anywhere with EIGRP, but just at the ABR (Area Border Router) with OSPF. Also, remember that EIGRP auto-summarizes but OSPF doesn't. You can turn this off with the command no auto-summary. I believe the default hello timers are 10/30 for OSPF and 60/5 for EIGRP, but I could be wrong. My best advice for the test is study, study, study, and then study some more. I took ICND2 about a month ago and it was hard, but if you understand the material you will pass. Watch your time on the test as well. Good luck on the exam!
    CCNA, CCENT, A+, Net+, Security+
  • Options
    4E65644E6564 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Eigrp:

Hello 5 Hold 15 & 60/180

OSPF

10 40 & 30/120