Options

David's CCIE: R+S Thread

Comments

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Got a new job starting in October.

Working for the same company, but moving over to the Telecoms Team on Shift work (20%uplift on salary...) so will be working 2 days, 2 nights, 4 off.

Will be getting my hands dirty with Cisco and other devices. Finally!!

This makes the CCIE viable again.

Congrats! That sounds like an excellent opportunity.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    PsychoFin wrote: »
    Awesome!

I did a similar shift for years and loved it. Lots of time to study. Let's see that study counter now!

You bet. I've just found my CCIE 4th edition book. I kept a LOAD of CCIE and other related books because I knew they'd come in handy...
  • Options
    Starting my new job Monday, and I really cannot wait.

Going to be breaking out the books soon (Once I've settled back into command lines etc!)
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Awesome dude. Good luck with the new job.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great to hear that Dave mate! I am very pleased for you!

Congrats on the new gig!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    So, it is time to start considering CCIE. I think a reset of the counters will be pertinent.

I have until around 17th July 2013 to either sit another CCNP or CCxP level exam in order to keep that level current. Where I could just go and take the ROUTE exam and extend my CCNP for another three years, I have decided that CCIE written at least as a first step makes greater sense.

It is now coming towards the end of October and I am shortly going to start night shifts, which hopefully should be the perfect time to start reading and researching the CCIE. I have access to my home lab from work, fortunately so I can work on things when it is quiet.

I have access to a stream of material and I can probably acquire more easily enough.

My lab at home, well, currently it is a blank Debian Linux VM that is ready for me to install Dynamips/Dynagen and go from there. Not sure if I will bother with GNS - Not really that interested in running a GUI on the VM - I'll do it all through the CLI.

I quite like my home lab computer, it is an ESX Server running various VM's. Specification of it is: -

AMD Bulldozer FX-8120 @ 4GHz (Overclocked w/ Corsair H50 water cooling)
    ASUS M5A88M Motherboard
    16GB DDR3 RAM
    3 x 2TB Samsung F4 hard disks - configured as a 6TB (4TB Usable) array for my media sharing VM (I share media off this)
    1 x 64GB SSD for storing ISO's for installation of software
    1 x 120GB SSD for storing VM computer files for fast OS operation

I think the Dynamips VM that I have configured at the moment has something like 16GB of SSD disk space, 4 cores of CPU, 4GB RAM. Plenty. Could probably think about some quad NIC's in the long term in order to connect it up to a physical lab but I am not that far along yet.

I did use to own a physical lab but I sold it all. Had some 3550's, 2950's and a stack of very old 25xx routers. I did throw away my Skeletek rack as well which was a shame but it ended up in the shed and got a bit rusty. Decided to sell off all the old stuff to free up some cash that I needed for whatever at the time (And I wasn't studying)

For the time being (i.e. between now and the time that I intend to sit the written exam) - I'll stick with my virtual lab and go from there)

So, here is to the restart. The journey already has been long and I haven't really gotten very far. However, this was due to being in the wrong role and other pressures I had earlier on. Now the stars have aligned, so to speak... Time to get on and get it done.

I'll probably start a web blog somewhere sharing what I learn and just keeping a general log - but I will keep updating this of course, primarily.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Awesome, sounds like you're all set and ready to go now! Good luck with your studies
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    Well, after some nudges from work - I'm hanging up this thread for now.

Going Security route due to my job, good luck to all that who are going for it.
  • Options
    May still end up here one day. It's still on my mind.
  • Options
    So. If I wanted to start getting some lab equipment, what should I be looking at get?

Can see 3560/3550 as per usual, 3825 routers and 1841's mentioned a lot (I guess I would need appropriate cards to go in the routers)

I'm asking because I think I'm going to make a start :) If only for the personal achievement factor if anything else. Need to finish up CCNP Security first, so that at least gets me a good standing in my job. (I'd be the only person with both CCNP R&S+Security, I believe)

Once that is out of the way I believe CCIE is the only way to go.
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 891 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'd hold off for right now and wait until Cisco Live to see what the Version 5 changes are. So far, many have said there will be expanded IPv6/MPLS, less Frame Relay and new technologies. Also, there's the specter of IOS 15, which is only supported on ISR G1/G2, 3560 and later switches.

They might also expand their "lab" offerings so you can practice virtually on an IOU server farm in the cloud.
  • Options
    Ah Cisco Live. I was there last year! (London)

Will there be v5 changes then? Sounds like a good move to hang on though. More IPv6 and MPLS can only be a good thing, they are great technologies.

Good points.
  • Options
    Can't recall the location, but I want to say the conference is in June. Edit: Just checked, it's in Orlando Florida.

And a new version of CCNA and CCIE R&S will most likely be announced.

I saw an announcement on the Cisco Network Academy that implied a new version of CCNA was on the horizon for the fall.

Can't really say what topics will be on the new revisions. But the only thing I do know is labs that have ISR2 will be expensive with that licensing and initial cost of hardware.

And not sure kind of predicament it places those who have old hardware like the X600 series routers or 3550 Switches.
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    ... which is only supported on ISR G1/G2, 3560 and later switches.

Keep in mind that IOS 15 is only supported on 3560V02 switches and not the older ones.

We will see what gets announced at Cisco Live in London this week. They'll have to say something about v5 if it's coming :)
  • Options
    PsychoFin wrote: »
    Keep in mind that IOS 15 is only supported on 3560V02 switches and not the older ones.

We will see what gets announced at Cisco Live in London this week. They'll have to say something about v5 if it's coming :)

When I replied, I didn't realize Cisco took their party on the road, so the announcement could happen this week or March 5-8 in Melbourne or June 23-27 in Orlando, which I will probably attend.

And I couldn't even tell you the difference between V01, V02 or Xs except for the labeling or a command.

Cisco should just develop a version of IOU with a topology making tool + GUI to replace Packet Tracer. Offer a CCNA+ version free on the Academy or sell a rental or local software package.
  • Options
    After a discussion with my wife, and my CCNP now safe until 2016, I can afford to sit back and think about my next step. I had booked the next CCNP:S exam, however after muttering the phrase "I really am looking forward to getting on with the CCIE" - I was told to just do it, and I think that is the sensible thing to do when ultimately that was what I wanted to do.

So, cancelled the VPN exam (I've learned all the content though so not a waste of time as this is now my bread and butter work...) and now going for R&S. Written - nice to be done by September, then Lab 12 months after. Bring it on. Again.
  • Options
    OK so I don't know what number attempt this is now, but who cares.

The victory is being here and posting about it. I've been like a sponge for the last 24 hours. I've liberated my CCIE textbooks from my closet and been reading the internet all I can about peoples experiences so I can start putting together my game plan. I'm due my holiday on May 10th, but in the meantime I've still got three weeks I can make some good initial progress. I've been finding all the digital material I had and putting it all together in a folder labelled "CCIE Effort" on my server.

I'm getting into the mindset that I believe one requires in order to even dream of embarking onto the CCIE.

Today has been a very slow day at work, which has been nice. Currently 9 hours into a 12 hour shift at work, in fact I haven't taken my lunch hour properly yet. But currently I'm sitting listening to a podcast by the Packet Pushers where Jeremy Cioara is guest starring. Very interesting listening to these guys takes on certifications etc.

So yeah, just being a sponge for the time being. First plan is to start reading the CCIE Exam Guide. From what I remember from the advice I received before - knock this book out first for the written. I'm back on May 25th from my Holiday. My wife doesn't know it yet but I'll be loading the PDF onto my Nexus so I can relax and read whilst away, nothing serious of course.

Anyway, back on May 25th. 3 months seems a realistic starting point for the written - which is end of August. Puts lab attempts from August 2014 -> February 2015 as my lab window.

Here's to it. (Again)
  • Options
    So I've started putting together a battle plan for the CCIE. I know that I'd get 18 months from the passing of the written exam to have any attempts at the lab. I figure that rushing and passing the written probably isn't all that helpful. I've got 3 years to worry about CCNP renewals as I've done FIREWALL lately so I'm clear on that score.

Thinking now about hitting the written around Christmas time - and the study method won't just be the exam guide book. I've got ten CCIE textbooks ready on my desk at home. So, here's my reading list: -

CCIE Routing and Switching Certification Guide (4th Edition) (Exam Certification Guide)
    Cisco LAN Switching
    Internet Routing Architectures
    MPLS Fundamentals
    Routing TCP/IP Volume 1, second edition
    Routing TCP/IP Volume 2
    Troubleshooting IP Routing Protocols
    QoS for IP/MPLS Networks
    QoS Exam Guide
    Understanding IPv6 (2nd Edition)

So - my plan is to use the CCIE Exam guide as more a high level overview, because that really all it is compared to the content in the other 9 tomes that I own. I'm doing my initial read through of the exam guide again now, up to Chapter 5 - IP Services at the moment. Once I've done my first read through, I am considering reading in a ground up fashion, i.e. Layer 1 and 2 first, cover everything there, then build on that, i.e. Routing etc at Layer 3 afterwards.

That means I have the basics of single subnet and STP, VLAN etc to start with, then building on that.
  • Options
    So probably the best book I've read so far - "Your CCIE Lab Success Strategy". It is a bit fluffy and repeats itself, and says a lot about having a study partner locally - which I do not have. But never mind.

It does give some very good pointers on setting the goal, and getting you in slightly a different mindset. It wasn't very expensive, so for the small outlay I've picked up a few good tips on scheduling my time.

Looking at storming the written for August, then a lab attempt within 12 months of that.

I've already done some reading of the CCIE Exam guide, and some of the Cisco LAN Switching, but I think for the time being (and looking at the previous advice I was given with regard to reading material) then the Odom Exam Guide will suffice for the purpose of the written.

I need to pick study lab provider, I'm thinking INE as they seem most popular, are there any others I should be considering?

When it comes to lab equipment, well, I've got my ultra-powerful desktop that'll do GNS with no concerns and I own, at the moment at least, a single 3550. I'm waiting until after I have cleared the written before buying anymore kit in the hope that if there are to be any v5 changes, then they will be posted by the time I'm ready to embark on the lab. However, if v15 will make an appearance, I'm sure it is mainly the licensing aspect that is what v15 brings to the table, so should not really impact on what lab equipment I should own.

Not sure whether to go for a full physical lab, or hybrid and save some money, but hopefully by the time I'm done with the written I'll have a few thousand saved up and if I then do need to splash some cash on equipment then I know it'll just be an investment.
  • Options
    Just got back from vacation yesterday.

Back to work tomorrow at my main job. Then I start work at my other new gig - CCIE prep. It will be my 2nd job, and I will be employed by my wife. She will manage my progress, kick my ass if I am not studying enough etc etc. Informal arrangement.

Will help as she is firmly on board and I am definitely pumped to get this done. Been reading on and off and looking through some CCIE videos whilst on holiday, whilst I have had a good break and relaxed, a few brain cells were left thinking about CCIE all the time...

Going to get back into it ASAP. Written exam is booked for August 28th.
  • Options
    Slow, slow, slow. Have other issues to attend to at the moment, but the CCIE will be good to keep my mind occupied.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keep the good work up! Your written exam is only two days after my lab. Hopefully it is a good week for both of us! Either way, one thing is certain..we don't have much time until August 26/28th come!
  • Options
    May not hit that date, but I need to start getting some stuff done. Had a very challenging few months outside of work/exams/everything so studying has been small, but I'm doing my best to find any spare minute I can to do *something*.

I've got a game plan in place though, so just need to get on with it. Busy night shifts at work have not helped either. Hopefully, tonight, I will be able to get something done once all this initial stuff has cleared out.

Also - best of luck for your lab!
  • Options
    Pretty much covered the old Spanning Tree videos that I've got. Got the chapter to read tomorrow - this is where I start.

I've got a copy of the syllabus and I'm just going top down through it.

Here's to it (finally)
  • Options
    Have spent 4 hours going solely through the Spanning Tree Chapter in the Exam Guide ( 4 hours )

Fallen into a bit of a routine now that involves watching some videos, then diving deep with exam book. That's a good plan.

Later on down the line I'll get my hands on some equipment (I can hardly practice spanning tree with a single switch now, can I?) Tempted to go and get some rack rental tickets, but just isn't worth it for the written part of the exam in my opinion. Especially when I can easily get a few 3550's for peanuts.
  • Options
    Chapter 2 - VLAN's conquered as well. Lot simpler in terms of content, and happily adding to my momentum.

Excellent!
  • Options
    Blasted through Chapter 4 - IP Addressing.

Now working through Chapter 7 - EIGRP. I loved BSCI (ROUTE) so the next few weeks of routing protocols will be a great (re-)learning experience.

Up to 12 hours on the counter now. Won't get anything done today and tomorrow, 12 hour day shifts. Then two night shifts, hopefully be able to get a load done.
  • Options
    aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    Looks like we're about in the same time frame in our studies. I'm just about to start Ch 4 of the CCIE OECG. I too have been mixing it up with the old BSCI and BCMSN books. So far I find that the OECG is more of a high level overview of what topics you need to familiarize yourself on. I find the old CCNP books actually have a bit more detail.
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    Yes, OECG is indeed very much high level. I've more or less concentrated my study on this text, but I do have some videos as additional material, plus a slew of the CCIE Professional Development books.

I've started peeking at TCP/IP Routing Vol 1. which I believe will be a good source of material too.

Next step is to start making up some labs. I've got the BSCI and BCMSN lab books so I'll need to fish those out and start labbing out topics once I've covered them.
  • Options
    silver145silver145 Member Posts: 265 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Gore, i have just started the CCIE Written revision! hoping to have this for September/November time. I am currently putting in atleast 4 hours of reading a day (for the past month or two already) My question comes into maximising revision performance for the CCIE Written, because remember commands etc without much usage on kit becomes slightly annoying. i have also just purchased an INE subscription, what Video series/combination of reading are you undertaking? Also have you started any of the "lab" work yet as to solidify things or sticking to purely reading/videos at this point? Cheers :)