Options

David's CCIE: R+S Thread

Comments

• Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    Rack rentals or Cisco Learning Labs. You can't create your own topologies with either though.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yes, I think your right, rack rentals.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good to see you're still working towards this!
    Good luck
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For your weak areas, I'd just use rack rentals (if Layer 2 QOS is a weak spot for you). I love my rack, but with the combination of GNS3 and rack rentals, there's *almost* no reason to own it anymore. Keep pushing man..our dates are coming soon!!
  • Options
    Yes I quite agree. I've got a single 3550 and a rack but I can't justify the expense on more kit when the rentals and GNS is mature.

VIRL will only make life easier when it is released too. I've had Nexus switching exposure this week so the Data Center stuff is intriguing and Service Provider would be easy on top of RS too....

11 days left until the written. Looking forward to going and nailing it.

Good luck to you too Mrock - you've got the big one coming!
  • Options
    By a rack - I meant I have a pair of rack rails.

I might sell it because one switch by itself is not much use.
  • Options
    OK so, after reviewing quite a few papers and thinking that I'd like the written done, I've rescheduled the written for - tomorrow.

We shall see how this goes.
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote: »
    VIRL will only make life easier when it is released too. I've had Nexus switching exposure this week so the Data Center stuff is intriguing and Service Provider would be easy on top of RS too....

11 days left until the written. Looking forward to going and nailing it.

Good luck to you too Mrock - you've got the big one coming!

Thanks! I've actually done so much DC stuff in the past year that I thought about going for the DC track instead of R&S, but decided I might as well finish R&S since it's been a work in the making for a long time. VIRL will certainly be awesome if it's everything it's been talked up to be! I can't wait!
  • Options
    silver145silver145 Member Posts: 265 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    OK so, after reviewing quite a few papers and thinking that I'd like the written done, I've rescheduled the written for - tomorrow.

We shall see how this goes.

Dont be skipping ahead of me!!!!!! haha good luck,
  • Options
    Whoa! Just caught the part about rescheduling the exam. Best of luck to you, I'm sure you'll do great.
  • Options
    carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good Luck on the test!
  • Options
    Well - I passed, and passed well. Very pleased.
  • Options
    Congrats, harder or easier than you thought? may book mine this week now.... lol!
  • Options
    Congrats! Now, just my $.02..book a lab date. If the CCIE is changed anytime soon, you'll have a date locked in already, and you don't have to pay a dime until you're within 90 days..so you can essentially reserve a date at no risk/obligation. Just a thought.

Edit: I think when I booked mine I was able to book only about 6 months'ish in advance, so I guess you'll have to wait a bit, depending on your readiness, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to book as soon as you're moderately ready.
  • Options
    Does that mean even if the exam "changed" you would still have the old format?
  • Options
    Well it is a very interesting exam because of the sheer breadth of the thing.

It's rather like taking the whole CCNP in one 120 minute 100 question sit-down.

It surprised me as some of the questions are not very "wordy" - Though I must remember I'm not sitting Microsoft exams anymore. Boy they were fun - 3 - 3 3/4 hours of reading and clicking.

Anyway with regards to booking a lab - I intend to do it as soon as is possible.

I didn't realise you could book and not pay until 90 days in which is useful.

I am looking to take my lab in May 2014 - preferably before the 13th (My 31st birthday) - I could at least then say I am a CCIE at 30 (that is of course if I do pass...)

And silver - no - if they change the lab to v5 in March, then I'd have to sit a lab in March to get the v4 lab. I'd rather they didn't change it now, but if they do well it's no biggie.

Can one reschedule their lab if they aren't ready?

It's a very big exam to prepare for and I'd hate to be stuck with a £1000 failure if perhaps I've been to "aggressive" in booking it. Though, I figure 9 months should be enough to wrap this one up nicely.
  • Options
    thanks for that, and congrats again!

You are able to re-schedule your exam date within a certain period of time, is it 90 or 30 days? Not sure which!

P.S i see you are UK based, they have not confirmed yet but they may have a "remote CCIE lab" again in london on:

London, UK
    Jun 30 - Jul 4
    N
    Routing & Switching, Security

• Options
    Thanks! :D Now the real fun begins.......
  • Options
    Ninja edit - London you say? I can travel there very easily!

Excellent!! I'll make sure to get in on that. Saves me a bundle in travelling.
  • Options
    Same that's what i am hoping to aim for. As i am based in Ipswich, so would be nice to just have a ride down, that way if i fail i wont feel as bad haha. Plus it allows 10 months of prep so that is pretty good. Just hoping i can reserve a spot.
  • Options
    You can reschedule outside of 90 days for free (I did this a couple of times until I was ready!), but within 90 days you'll forfeit your lab fee.

To be honest, scheduling mine is what gave me the kick to start studying, and as I said, I rescheduled it once or twice, so it worked out nicely, of course everyone has their own way of going about things, so it's all good either way!

Enjoy the fact that you're done with the written for a couple of days!
  • Options
    Excellent. Will try and book as soon as.

London is ideal really. See you there silver lol!
  • Options
    I tried to book mine in London. Somehow my company didn't find it 'financially feasible' lol..
  • Options
    Wonder why... lol
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the written pass icon_thumright.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. I am trying to do the lab in May 14 as well. I have it scheduled in Mar, but will change it when they release dates for May.
  • Options
    Excellent. Thanks all. Will try and book a lab when I can - Pearson have validated my Written but obviously Cisco hasn't yet icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    Anyone know how long it takes for Cisco to update their CCIE database so I can go and book a lab?

I've tried just now and still tells me "Login incorrect" - To be fair it does say on the score report that it could be up to 10 days before they add my score to the database.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dave! well done on the pass mate! thats awesome news! Its been good following your posts.

well done, and best of luck on the lab exam mate!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    Thank you sir!

/tips hat