Options

David's CCIE: R+S Thread

Comments

• Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    gorebrush wrote: »

Me and my wife got married on December 3rd,

Congrats! I take it you didn't tell her about this quest until the deal was sealed :)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    got married
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

Has your new boss signed off on your CCIE Study Plan? icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    Congrats! I take it you didn't tell her about this quest until the deal was sealed :)

She is already aware of my CCIE intentions, so I think we're ok ;)

:D
  • Options
    After long discussions at the gorebrush household, we've decided to bin the idea of moving home for the time being until our family starts to grow.

In the meantime then, I've decided that CCIE in proper must start again ASAP. Probably start looking over things in the new year. I'll reset my reading counter, doesn't feel fair retaining 40 hours from over 3 months ago.

Plan is - as Turgon suggested above, written for 2011, lab for 2013/14.

Mid 2013 would be nice - that would be when I am 30... :)

Good luck to all for next year.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    After long discussions at the gorebrush household, we've decided to bin the idea of moving home for the time being until our family starts to grow.

In the meantime then, I've decided that CCIE in proper must start again ASAP. Probably start looking over things in the new year. I'll reset my reading counter, doesn't feel fair retaining 40 hours from over 3 months ago.

Plan is - as Turgon suggested above, written for 2011, lab for 2013/14.

Mid 2013 would be nice - that would be when I am 30... :)

Good luck to all for next year.

Realistic planning is the best. Good luck with all of that. I would keep your reading counter at 40 hours if I was you and add to that because it all counts! Once you go back to the studies those hours you put in prior will really help you. Good luck with the dieting counter, you want to lose half your weight?
  • Options
    Noted, I'll put the 40 back :)

And yes, I would like to lose half my weight. Being nearly 20 stone in weight at only 5'6" is dangerous for my long term health.

I've never been "thin" in my life, so perhaps losing that much weight is unrealistic, but I can't stay this weight forever :)
  • Options
    *bump* Hows the new job going? You working your ass off?
  • Options
    Job is going very well indeed - am now Deputy Team Lead with 4 in the team (including myself)

At the moment I am in charge of provisioning network monitoring/management tools: -

BMC BladeLogic Network Automation
    WhatsUp Gold
    PRTG Network Monitor
    Kiwi Syslog Server
    IP Address Management (researching this at the moment)

Though I may get involved in our Serevr Automation tools as well.

Job market is very interesting around here, we are recruiting heavily in my area.

Study wise - I'm learning a bit of Linux at the moment (as I know none and now I need to know stuff) though I am missing my Cisco days. I haven't picked up a CCIE book in ages, and trying to tackle at CCIE at the moment is a bit impractical.

I think I need to pick up another CCXP exam just to keep my CCNP valid in the meantime, CCIP seems the best idea as this would provide good base learning for CCIE in the longer term.
  • Options
    So this morning I've been sat in a 3 hour meeting about our BMC BladeLogic Server Automation product, and I'm thinking that it reaffirms my interest in networking.

Ultimately I will be looking after the Network Automation product in the family, but for now I do have a lot of input into the Server product.

Studying for a CCIE on the dollar will be a big no no in this post for the forseeable future. However, this doesn't rule out that I could still do it on my own time, and predominantly this is how I have been used to studying for all of my professional certification exams over time.

One of my biggest issues over the past 6 months has been the serious amount of procrastination and time wasting that I have done (in terms of studying) when I could be doing something useful.

Regarding my above comment about taking the CCIP - that's just more money and time wasting - however a useful way to establish progress.

So, instead of just sitting on my hands and doing nothing with my weekends when the wife is at work, there are many more useful ways I could be spending my time, and slowly working towards the main prize is one of them.
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    If you really want to do the CCIE you should go for it. You don't have to be in a rush, baby steps will get you there. I do almost all my studying on my spare time and I have a family to take care of so it can definately be done.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    aldousaldous Member Posts: 105

Regarding my above comment about taking the CCIP - that's just more money and time wasting - however a useful way to establish progress.

The CCIP is a useful one to get on the way to CCIE everything on it is on the IE and the extra depth of BGP and MPLS VPN's is worth it. However i got my exams paid for by work so if moneys tight you can definitely skip it
  • Options
    Well this is true - but the cost of the QoS exam and the composite would be the same as the CCIE written...
  • Options
    But i do agree lol. I have thought about it a few times
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Well this is true - but the cost of the QoS exam and the composite would be the same as the CCIE written...

I'm going the CCIP then CCIE written route, I'm looking at like this. If I study BGP, QoS and MPLS to the degree I need for each exam, I've practically covered them subjects for the written. I could do that and not do the exams, but hey, why not have something to prove I have the knowledge while studying for the Written?

To me having CCIP & CCIE Written will be a little bit better than just CCIE Written on CVs and the like, even if only slightly. Plus, if a job offer comes up while I'm still studying for the Written, then its there as another thing to push through a HR department with.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    All good reasons!! icon_biggrin.gif
  • Options
    OK I'm game. I've dropped the QoS textbook onto my desk for a look tonight.

Wife is working until 9:45 tomorrow night, so I shall get a few hours in.

Woo back to Cisco!
  • Options
    Scratch the above, CCIE 350-001.

The key theme here is: -

Slowly slowly, catchy monkey.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□

Excellent :) Back on the wagon......
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

Are you studying for the written now?
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Are you studying for the written now?

Well I'm not sure - I'm thinking going the CCIP route for the short term: -

1. It's all knowledge for the CCIE
    2. I am uncertain about my job stability (again) so at attaining CCIP would at least be another "feather in my cap" so to speak.

I don't think going the CCIP->CCIE route would do any harm.
  • Options
    OK so whatever exam I am doing, I need to do something.

I've had a few conversations at work, and it seems CCIP will help me a great deal in the short term, so seems worthwhile to do that for the time being. It's all good for the CCIE however, so no waste of time, I don't think.

QoS it is.
  • Options
    OK so whatever exam I am doing, I need to do something.

I've had a few conversations at work, and it seems CCIP will help me a great deal in the short term, so seems worthwhile to do that for the time being. It's all good for the CCIE however, so no waste of time, I don't think.

QoS it is.

I dont know if QoS is on the CCIP syllabus, but even if it is I would knockout the BGP and MPLS stuff out and leave that till last.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    QoS is an exam on the CCIP. BGP, MPLS, QoS and BSCI/ROUTE make up the qualification.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    stuh84 wrote: »
    QoS is an exam on the CCIP. BGP, MPLS, QoS and BSCI/ROUTE make up the qualification.

Fine. In that case do QoS last. It's a value add.
  • Options
    Yes, QoS is indeed on CCIP.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into BGP+MPLS instead.
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Just finished reading this long-ass thread! It's all looking good as far as I can see :) Good luck with the new job and all that!

By any luck I will be joining all you guys on the path for the ##### soon enough.

Cheers,
    Fin
  • Options
    So far so good, but I need to get off my ass and do some more work :D

In other news, it seems Linux runs GNS about a thousand times better, so I'll build another VM at home at some point so I can start doing some work.
  • Options
    OK busy month has meant I've done no studying.

This job isn't really what I thought it was going to be, so I need to do some exams.

Bring on some study again shortly. BGP+MPLS.
  • Options
    OK busy month has meant I've done no studying.

This job isn't really what I thought it was going to be, so I need to do some exams.

Bring on some study again shortly. BGP+MPLS.

Very few jobs are. Slow day at work or is the work just dull? Crack on with the IE studies again, we have a few making good progress this year on TE.
  • Options
    The job itself.

I can't see myself being here long term - so screw doing the intermediate exams.

Let's get back on the real wagon.