Options

Shelf Life of Windows 2003?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys

I think windows 2003 will be used along time I predict at leaset 3-5 more years what do you think? based off economy and a need to upgrade
what do you think is it worth getting MCSE 2003 and what is the upgrade path to MCITP 2008?

thanks...

I have been working with Server 2003 since it has been out
and well to me logical option was take a boot camp and hammer out exams. to me windows 7 and server 2008 is way different to some degree.
and it would take me a 1 or 2 to get acclimated. what do you guys think
about that..

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Check the upgrade section here: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse.aspx#tab4

It has all your answers on upgrading.

I'd say getting the MCSE is worth it. I for one believe you'll learn more through those exams that will make a great base for the MCITP exams to wow you with the new features in 2008. MCSE is also still a whole lot more recognizable currently out on the market than the equivalent MCITP.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Considering there are still W2K installations out there I'd say 2003 will be around for a while...
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tiersten wrote: »
    Considering there are still W2K installations out there I'd say 2003 will be around for a while...

Don't forget the NT servers.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't forget the NT servers.

few and far between, but some of our customers STILL hang on to NT.

Its just so odd to hear that 2003 is going the way of 2000; with recent rumors of the MCSA/E track retiring TBA this year, to EOL discussions like this one. Okay, I will end this nostalgia icon_lol.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    snadam wrote: »
    few and far between, but some of our customers STILL hang on to NT.

Its just so odd to hear that 2003 is going the way of 2000; with recent rumors of the MCSA/E track retiring TBA this year, to EOL discussions like this one. Okay, I will end this nostalgia icon_lol.gif

I don't think these are really rumors. Mainstream support for 2003 ends this year and MS's current policy is to discontinue exams shortly after mainstream support ends, although they do stipulate other factors. But I am pretty sure you can expect the MCSE core exams to be discontinued sometime after July 2010 but before 2011.

Microsoft Product Lifecycle Search
  • Options
    gocubsgocubs Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ok, so i just passed the 290, have the 270 already and have the 291 scheduled, i'm sure i can finish up the others by julyish but basically if i didnt, and say was lacking the 293 or something i'd have an incomplete mcse?
    So Far: A+, MCDST, MCITP:Vista Supporting

2010 Plans: MCSE:M+S and CCNA

Studying: AAS in Networking and Security
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Get your tests done ASAP. Because, yes, you would have an incomplete MCSE. I would suggest maybe just going for the MCSA:M+S and seeing what they do witht he exams. If the exams are not discontinued as I believe they will be and as MS Learning has indicated then you could finish things up in 2011. But as things stand now I would opperate under the assumption that your exams will be unavailable in 2011 and potentially by the fall of 2010.

If you are commited to completing the MCSE then here is what I would suggest:
    291 (if you pass prep for two weeks for the 293)-> 293 then prep for the one month for the 294. Then you will need to complete the security requirements. Prep for the 299/298 at the same time. Take them close together. Then I would move on to the MCITP exams.
  • Options
    mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Get your tests done ASAP. Because, yes, you would have an incomplete MCSE. I would suggest maybe just going for the MCSA:M+S and seeing what they do witht he exams. If the exams are not discontinued as I believe they will be and as MS Learning has indicated then you could finish things up in 2011. But as things stand now I would opperate under the assumption that your exams will be unavailable in 2011 and potentially by the fall of 2010.

If you are commited to completing the MCSE then here is what I would suggest:
    291 (if you pass prep for two weeks for the 293)-> 293 then prep for the one month for the 294. Then you will need to complete the security requirements. Prep for the 299/298 at the same time. Take them close together. Then I would move on to the MCITP exams.

+1; Sound advice.

That's also what I'm doing. I just keep getting interrupted by betas that interest me ;) Damn that MCITP:VA!

I really need to revisit my study/lab stuff for the 293 and attempt a retry.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I assumed that they will always keep the current and previous "mainstream" OS exams alive.

However, with Server 2008 R2 and Win 7 in full swing, I guess 2003 is no longer the more current OS.

/Sigh - What to do with my MCSE...
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    gorebrush wrote: »
    I assumed that they will always keep the current and previous "mainstream" OS exams alive.

However, with Server 2008 R2 and Win 7 in full swing, I guess 2003 is no longer the more current OS.

/Sigh - What to do with my MCSE...

Upgrade it to MCITP:EA? :D
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thanks so much looks like I am going to have to do the MCITP route
    since 2003 will be shut down that sucks ;( oh well I am only wanting to get 1 mcse/mcitp and then the rest cisco this race is too crazy ;) haha
    thank you so much fo ryou help! a happy new year to you all!