Actually enjoying Project+ book

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
Ok, maybe I am strange but I actually am enjoying reading the Project+ Study Guide from Sybex. During college I really enjoyed the business classes for some reason. Anyone else enjoy studying for Project+ or Project Management in general?

I think another reason I am enjoying it is because it's lighter reading than the CCNA or Security+. My brain is fried and I needed something less technical to read icon_wink.gif

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I hear you - I'm doing my first non-technical reading in YEARS (George Carlin's memoir, great read) and it's so enjoyable to read something that's not too heavy.

I considered taking a project management course at school (I can use it as an elective), but when I was considering doing the Project+ beta, I found the subject matter terribly boring..maybe I wasn't using the right book??
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    skrpune wrote: »
    I hear you - I'm doing my first non-technical reading in YEARS (George Carlin's memoir, great read) and it's so enjoyable to read something that's not too heavy.

I considered taking a project management course at school (I can use it as an elective), but when I was considering doing the Project+ beta, I found the subject matter terribly boring..maybe I wasn't using the right book??

That or I am a boring person... icon_lol.gif

I guess I am intrigued by how IT projects are run, which the book (though it covers projects in general) emphasizes.

Is this the one you used skrpune?
    Amazon.com: Project+ Study Guide (Book & CD-ROM) (9780782144086): William Heldman, Lona Cram: Books
  • apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    I found the Project+ exam to be fun too...probably because it's the least technical certification I've ever studied for. My post about my Project+ experience is only a few threads down too. Take a glance at it when you're getting ready to sit the exam icon_thumright.gif
    Usus magister est optimus
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah I thought the Project+ materiel was fun, probably because it was different from the normal technical material.

Now if Comptia will only get us the results of the beta. I loved the price (free) but the wait is really turning me away from doing anymore of their betas!
    steve13ad wrote: »
    Yeah I thought the Project+ materiel was fun, probably because it was different from the normal technical material.

Now if Comptia will only get us the results of the beta. I loved the price (free) but the wait is really turning me away from doing anymore of their betas!

I'll take one any day... icon_wink.gif

If I had more time last year I would have done much better on the Server+, and would have done the Project+ as well.
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can't beat the price but this waiting is killing me!
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    That or I am a boring person... icon_lol.gif

I guess I am intrigued by how IT projects are run, which the book (though it covers projects in general) emphasizes.

Is this the one you used skrpune?
    Amazon.com: Project+ Study Guide (Book & CD-ROM) (9780782144086): William Heldman, Lona Cram: Books
    Lol, yup, that's it. I think I just didn't have my heart in my studies at that point. I was a bit overloaded between multiple certs and school and work at the time and I ended up skipping the beta exam because I didn't get far enough with my studies. I got through maybe a couple chapters and just ran out of time and steam.

I might pick it back up again this year or next year if I end up taking that project management class. I also might be able to go for my CAPM (the "lite" version of the PMP, as I see it) - work may pay for training & the exam, and if they do, I'm so there.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I would have enjoyed studying for the Project+ alot more, however I was using the older material for the beta, so was rushed.

But "yes" I liked it, less technical & something different :)

-ken
    I'm planning to take the Project+ next month. I'm actually still enjoying studying for the Project+. As I have said before, my company is constantly involved in different government projects and the Project+ has opened my eyes to why we do what we do. Studying for this exam has also helped me understand terms that I hear and will hopefully help me intelligently discuss our projects.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ok, maybe I am strange but I actually am enjoying reading the Project+ Study Guide from Sybex. During college I really enjoyed the business classes for some reason. Anyone else enjoy studying for Project+ or Project Management in general?

I think another reason I am enjoying it is because it's lighter reading than the CCNA or Security+. My brain is fried and I needed something less technical to read icon_wink.gif

Right there with you. I took a project management course last quarter at school. It was a nice change of pace. Once I get some more experience, I think I'll work on the PMP.
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Right there with you. I took a project management course last quarter at school. It was a nice change of pace. Once I get some more experience, I think I'll work on the PMP.

I'm considering doing that as well. I have started a Word document to compile any projects I have worked on or headed.
    I've been watching the skillsoft videos for this exam. Not bad actually...
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It can't help but be better than the old book I used. The one from last year.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    It can't help but be better than the old book I used. The one from last year.

As I said in another post, "It was actually enjoyable!" icon_cool.gif
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Veritas and others at WGU who may want to know:

My mentor advised me that they're having a meeting with the CompTIA program coordinator next Friday to discuss other program materials that aren't so "dry" (his words....so I'm guessing many students have been loud and clear about the materials used for the Project+ exam). I plan on asking him how that goes. Project+ isn't in my sights currently, but I just I'd pass that out to you. Your mentor will most likely be attending that meeting so maybe you want to touch base with him and get more info on that. I plan on doing the same after Friday.

The only thing I've seen really is the Sybex book for 003. I haven't seen much else.
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    *looking at signature and going back to reading*
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
    jahsoul wrote: »
    *looking at signature and going back to reading*

Huh? icon_lol.gif
    He doesn't find the book as interesting as you do apparently..lol
    Current Journey: Project+ aka....*5 minutes of reading*....sleeping.gif
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Veritas and others at WGU who may want to know:

My mentor advised me that they're having a meeting with the CompTIA program coordinator next Friday to discuss other program materials that aren't so "dry" (his words....so I'm guessing many students have been loud and clear about the materials used for the Project+ exam). I plan on asking him how that goes. Project+ isn't in my sights currently, but I just I'd pass that out to you. Your mentor will most likely be attending that meeting so maybe you want to touch base with him and get more info on that. I plan on doing the same after Friday.

The only thing I've seen really is the Sybex book for 003. I haven't seen much else.

Yep, my mentor told me this as well. When I first started the Project+ course, I made it clear how unhappy I was with the material they sent me. I think it's a book directly from CompTIA. That book is the most boring piece of crap I've ever read. I'm reading the Sybex book from books 24x7 for free and am finding it a much easier read (material is still boring, but I just think that it's the subject itself). I'm sitting this thing on Friday. We'll see how it goes.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
    Good luck on your test Friday!
    I used the Sybex book for the old exam and found it to be ok.
    Yep, my mentor told me this as well. When I first started the Project+ course, I made it clear how unhappy I was with the material they sent me. I think it's a book directly from CompTIA. That book is the most boring piece of crap I've ever read. I'm reading the Sybex book from books 24x7 for free and am finding it a much easier read (material is still boring, but I just think that it's the subject itself). I'm sitting this thing on Friday. We'll see how it goes.

Good luck on the exam! Has MeasureUp been helpful in prepping you? Are you using any other test prep material like Transcenders or uCertify?
    earweed wrote: »
    He doesn't find the book as interesting as you do apparently..lol

Oh, LOL icon_lol.gif
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Good luck on the exam! Has MeasureUp been helpful in prepping you? Are you using any other test prep material like Transcenders or uCertify?

Does WGU provide the measureup practice tests for this class like they do with the other classes? The Sybex book is the only material I'm using.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

Does WGU provide the measureup practice tests for this class like they do with the other classes? The Sybex book is the only material I'm using.

If you go into AAP, you and click on "Pre-Assessment" for TPV1, you'll see on top that the test prep for it is MeasureUp. So, yes MeasureUp would be what you're using for the prep. Make sure you get the product key for it from your mentor.
    Thanks. I've been relying on my mentor automatically signing me up for these things. Guess he overlooked this one.

I passed with a 766 out of 900. The Sybex book was pretty much my only resource. I did read the first 2 chapters of the CompTIA book that WGU sent me before chucking that thing out the window, but I would hardly count that. So, for those of you tackling this thing, the Sybex book should be your best friend. I read the entire book once and then went back and reread the chapter summaries. If there was something in the summary that I didn't remember, then I would go back and reread that portion of the chapter. The end chapter quizzes helped too. Good luck to those that are taking this thing.

Congrats on the pass!
    Congratulations!! I hope to take this exam next term. My mentor told me the results of the meeting (Disclaimer, this is not "official"):

WGU is probably going to depend on ExamForce for the time being. I expressed to Mentor that would be a mistake as it's already a bunch of crap. They are also looking in the meantime to contract Learnkey and LabSim for Project+. Many people are complaining that the Sybex guide is not comprehensive enough.

Maybe I should wait for Darril Gibson to write the guide....it can be a sequel to the Security+ guide..... icon_lol.gif