Options

Project+ - pathetically easy?

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
Is the Project+ just primarily commonsense (some of it learned from the book), or is it just me?

I did a practice test on CompTIA's web site, and played with some of the test questions that came with the Sybex book last night. I feel like it's going to be a breeze to take the test. I am always careful not to get over confident, but this book is an easy read.

Comments

• Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    I wouldn't go as far as calling it pathetic, but it's mostly common sense questions. Since you're finding the material to be a breeze, I don't think you'll have any trouble sitting this exam at all.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    apena7 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go as far as calling it pathetic, but it's mostly common sense questions. Since you're finding the material to be a breeze, I don't think you'll have any trouble sitting this exam at all.

You're right, the word pathetic was out of place. I could have chosen a better word for emphasis. I am finding that the material is helping me to understand how projects are ran more clearly. Since I work in the middle of many major projects this brings clarity to the big picture.
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For the most part the concepts are easy but the proper procedures/methodologies that it tests on can be challenging to remember.
  • Options
    I am finding that the material is helping me to understand how projects are ran more clearly. Since I work in the middle of many major projects this brings clarity to the big picture.

Oh, so you're working on some projects right now? That will definitely help with your studies (especially if the project managers are inept). I bet you're able to point out everything that's wrong or needs improvement in the process, and wondering why there isn't a SOW to be found icon_lol.gif

In that case, create a 'lab' based on a current project and draw up your own documents as if you were the one leading it.
  • Options
    apena7 wrote: »
    Oh, so you're working on some projects right now? That will definitely help with your studies (especially if the project managers are inept). I bet you're able to point out everything that's wrong or needs improvement in the process, and wondering why there isn't a SOW to be found icon_lol.gif

In that case, create a 'lab' based on a current project and draw up your own documents as if you were the one leading it.

Your joking right? I am working under the project. icon_wink.gif

There is no way I want to cross any project manager here, they will eat you for lunch.
    I bet you're able to point out everything that's wrong or needs improvement in the process, and wondering why there isn't a SOW to be found icon_lol.gif

If I came across as knowing everything I humbly apologize icon_sad.gif

I was only saying that I am finding the material easy to digest, and find it interesting because there are projects going on all around me with Project Managers leading them.
  • Options
    If I came across as knowing everything I humbly apologize icon_sad.gif

I was only saying that I am finding the material easy to digest, and find it interesting because there are projects going on all around me with Project Managers leading them.

veritas_libertas, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I was merely stating that since you're learning the material well, it should come naturally to apply the knowledge to the workplace. Even if you're not leading the project, you can still point out the weaknesses and areas for improvement. You don't have to bring it up to the project managers (I wasn't encouraging that), but put yourself in their shoes and think "if I were in charge, how would I manage this project?"
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I'll let you know in a month when the beta results release.

It felt easy but its hard to know until you see the results.
  • Options
    spigetyspigety Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the PK0-002 today as part of the curriculum through WGU. I have absolutely no experience in project management so I found this exam actually fairly difficult. I ended up passing however, but with a score of 530/900.

Also, I bought the Sybex book for the old PK0-001 objectives because it was incredibly cheap, so that may be another reason why I barely squeaked by.

Anyway, don't take it too lightly!
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would agree that it is a very easy exam, but then so is the PMP.

The PMP used to be a tough exam 10 or so years ago when it was all essay. They dumbed it down in the interest of $$$.

Regarding the Project+, I'm exposed to project managers and people that work on project teams all the time, and have been for as long as I can remember. I've yet to meet one that holds the Project+.

I think a better choice of words might have been "valueless".

MS
  • Options
    eMeS wrote: »
    I think a better choice of words might have been "valueless".

MS

I agree, I shouldn't have chosen a different title for the thread...
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I didn't really have a problem with the Beta exam. I was taking a systems analysis and design class at the time I was studying for the exam so the class work helped reinforce some stuff. I didn't get to finish the book before the exam. When I took the exam it seemed like common sense played a part on the test that I took. If you're having an easy time with learning the material, I think you'll do well.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Project+ - pathetically easy?

No, that's my mom. I'm pretty sure you have to do more than just show up for this exam...
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    No, that's my mom. I'm pretty sure you have to do more than just show up for this exam...

Man, I can't acknowledge my mistakes enough can I? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    lineline Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    icon_rolleyes.gif 540, read the 20 page summary of what I should have learned in reading the whole book while driving down to atlanta to take the test.icon_thumright.gif

I have no perevious pm experience..
  • Options
    line wrote: »
    icon_rolleyes.gif 540, read the 20 page summary of what I should have learned in reading the whole book while driving down to Atlanta to take the test.icon_thumright.gif

I have no perevious pm experience..

What did you use for studying? I am going to be overseas for 3 months so I figure I might as well study and get it over with when I get back. One less class @ WGU I figure. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Yeah it was to pass a WGU course. I didnt study, I read the chapter reviews in the sybex book while I was driving to the prometrix center.. 2 hour drive, 20 pages of summary read.. Barely passed, but a pass is a pass is a pass.
  • Options
    you dont live that far from me so please refrain from reading while driving.

seriously.
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »

seriously.

Ah yeah, I am hoping you mean that someone else was driving? icon_eek.gif

Thanks for the review, three months should be plenty of review for me then icon_wink.gif
  • Options

seriously.

If you live in georgia I'll try real hard.... I promise.
  • Options
    If you live in georgia I'll try real hard.... I promise.

Please be careful in South Carolina as well friend, Atlanta isn't that far from where I live icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    I'm back.

Considering that I have never looked at any project management material in my entire life, and I walked in and took the 2009 Project+ beta, and was within 10ish points of passing...I would say this exam qualifies as pathetically easy.

I'll find a quick summary review somewhere on the internet before I go piss this one away in less than a week at WGU ;)
  • Options
    I'm back.

Considering that I have never looked at any project management material in my entire life, and I walked in and took the 2009 Project+ beta, and was within 10ish points of passing...I would say this exam qualifies as pathetically easy.

I'll find a quick summary review somewhere on the internet before I go piss this one away in less than a week at WGU ;)

I'm thinking about working on it as soon I knock off this A+ material today, and tomorrow.
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm back.

It was easy and I doubt that it'll be offered too much more. The reason for the delay in getting our results was b/c they couldn't get anyone to take the FREE test. Not a good sign, if you ask me.
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah it was to pass a WGU course. I didnt study, I read the chapter reviews in the sybex book while I was driving to the prometrix center.. 2 hour drive, 20 pages of summary read.. Barely passed, but a pass is a pass is a pass.

LOL, this made me laugh. You've got to be kidding me.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)