Options

Help with allowing users to install local printers

kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
So I haven't worked with Windows security/GP in a while and I'm having trouble figuring out if what I want to do is possible.

Goals:
Keep regular users from installing software while allowing them to install new local printers (ideally they could install any hardware they need).

Currently all users have regular user accounts on their laptops, and therefor cannot install software or new local printers. My users are mobile and use portable printers in their cars, if the portable printer is installed by an admin the user can use it fine. However when users switch cars (which they do regularly) the new printer (which is the exact same model) cannot be installed without an admin user logging in and installing it.

From searching the internet it appears that it is not possible to allow a regular user to install a new local printers and there is no easy way to restrict power users from installing software (another solution I toyed around with). I'm not worried about advanced users using the ability to install drivers to escalate privileges or anything of that nature, I just want to keep the average user from installing iTunes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    How many cars/users?

If its a relatively small amount, I dont see a huge issue in simply installing all printers to all users via a GPO.
  • Options
    Probably about a hundred. Is it possible to use GP to install local USB printers?
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Who makes the printers? The HP universal print driver can connect to usb printers. Instructions on how to do this are one of the few things I ever bothered to post over on my blog: Clay Moore’s Blog
  • Options
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Who makes the printers? The HP universal print driver can connect to usb printers. Instructions on how to do this are one of the few things I ever bothered to post over on my blog: Clay Moore’s Blog

Pentax/Brother
  • Options
    stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Free Reading : History Books
  • Options
    Claymoore wrote: »

Although the HP Universal driver didn't help with this issue, but I was also having a problem with the notifications some users were receiving from the universal driver. The blog post about the ADM template was very helpful. Thanks!

That looks like it would fit the bill. Although it doesn't list pricing, never a good sign. Thanks!