Options

Virtual Box Network Settings

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
What settings are best use in order to allow two VMs to communicate with each other? Also, what must be done in order to allow a host computer to communicate with VMs? I have playing with this but still can't seem to get it to work.

2010-01-07_1711.png

As you can see I am trying to broaden my knowledge this year. icon_wink.gif

Comments

• Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    Can you give us a scenario -- such as having an XP VM authenticate to a Win2008 VM?
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    apena7 wrote: »
    Can you give us a scenario -- such as having an XP VM authenticate to a Win2008 VM?

Um...

VM 1
    VM2

They are both on the same machine running Virtual Box. I would like them to be able communicate so the Vista machine can authenticate with the 2008 machine. I will replace the Vista machine with Windows 7 after my college semester starts and I have access to Technet again.

I'm just unsure what settings to select, and am hoping someone with experience using Virtual Box could tell me.

2010-01-07_1739.png
  • Options
    brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    To allow your VM to communicate, just choose host only and assign them IP in the same subnet.
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
  • Options
    broc wrote: »
    To allow your VM to communicate, just choose host only and assign them IP in the same subnet.

That simple huh? Thanks Broc!
  • Options
    Thanks for the help! I am now up and running...

2010-01-07_2035.png
  • Options
    brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    That simple huh? Thanks Broc!

Thanks for the help! I am now up and running...

Yep, it's that simple, I love virtual machine! And if you have multiple NICs in your PC, you can bridge some of your virtual machines to the NIC you want which can be useful when you run Dynamips with some real switches.
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”