WIN7 maximum RAM

frolei20frolei20 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, I am using MS Press book for my 70-680 exam. The maximum RAM on the book for 64bit Pro, Enterprise and Ultimate is 128GB, however technet says its 192GB. Any idea why?

Comments

• wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    not sure if this is correct, but im pretty sure im on the right path.

Microsoft write most, if not all of their books while software is in beta stage, so that they are available when the software is released. (This is actually stated in the 70-680 book at some point)

This is probably why there are so many errors (Just like the spelling in my posts) :)

So, maybe the beta only supported 128gb in 64-bit and they thought in the final release, as windows 7 is supposed to be around a while that they would bump it up to 192gb?

Just a theory :)
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • gAnDogAnDo Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can see the corrections for the book here: MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-680): Configuring Windows® 7 comments and corrections

Doesnt mention max RAM though... but that doesnt mean it isnt an error!
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    wedge1988 wrote: »
    So, maybe the beta only supported 128gb in 64-bit and they thought in the final release, as windows 7 is supposed to be around a while that they would bump it up to 192gb?

Just a theory :)
    Vista only supported 128GB whilst Windows 7 increased it to 192GB. The limit is just how they configured the memory manager and kernel in Windows. It is used to differentiate the various SKUs.
  • frolei20frolei20 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck finding a consumer (home) pc motherboard that will Support that much memory! :D
  • wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LukeQuake wrote: »
    Good luck finding a consumer (home) pc motherboard that will Support that much memory! :D

it wont be long before that ammount of ram is redundant. lol.
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese