WSUS on 291???

tndfrtndfr Member Posts: 110
hi,

i have been cramming for the last 3 weeks, my exam is on Tuesday, whats this WSUS stuff i hear about, i thought that was covered in 290?! i passed 290 back in October so i cant remember half of the stuff.

do i have to cover this?
Working on CCNP 642-813 and finishing off MCSA.

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I had a few WSUS questions on my 291 and a couple of them were fairly in-depth. I hope you are labbing it all up, just setup a couple of servers, one upstream and the other downstream, approve and push out updates to a client.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • tndfrtndfr Member Posts: 110
    Essendon wrote: »
    I had a few WSUS questions on my 291 and a couple of them were fairly in-depth. I hope you are labbing it all up, just setup a couple of servers, one upstream and the other downstream, approve and push out updates to a client.

what i dont understand is why are they testing us on WSUS when the curriculum doesnt even covered, i was looking through the index page for MS 291 book and there is no reference to it? i am using 2nd ed. i also watched most of the CBT stuff and no mention of WSUS!!!icon_silent.gif
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tndfr wrote: »
    what i dont understand is why are they testing us on WSUS when the curriculum doesnt even covered, i was looking through the index page for MS 291 book and there is no reference to it? i am using 2nd ed. i also watched most of the CBT stuff and no mention of WSUS!!!icon_silent.gif
    It's on the list of objectives:

Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure
    Install and configure software update infrastructure.
    • Install and configure software update services.
    • Install and configure automatic client update settings.
    • Configure software updates on earlier operating systems.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    hi,

i have been cramming for the last 3 weeks, my exam is on Tuesday, whats this WSUS stuff i hear about, i thought that was covered in 290?! i passed 290 back in October so i cant remember half of the stuff.

do i have to cover this?

That's one of those things that upset me about Microsoft. They update their exams whilst still selling books without the updated info. But unfortunately as Essendon said, WSUS is covered in quite some depth on the 291 exam. I had about 9 questions on WSUS in which 2 of them were simulations. The good news is you can ignore SUS for now because you won't see it on the 291 exam. They replaced it with WSUS in 291. what's funny is they test you over SUS in 293 and 297. But be sure to check out the sticky thread "291 Resources" in the 291 forum. There are links to some good info on WSUS.
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    SUS has been gone for years, they need to update or retire those exams.

WSUS is on what, 3.0 SP1?
    Technito wrote: »
    That's one of those things that upset me about Microsoft. They update their exams whilst still selling books without the updated info. But unfortunately as Essendon said, WSUS is covered in quite some depth on the 291 exam. I had about 9 questions on WSUS in which 2 of them were simulations. The good news is you can ignore SUS for now because you won't see it on the 291 exam. They replaced it with WSUS in 291. what's funny is they test you over SUS in 293 and 297. But be sure to check out the sticky thread "291 Resources" in the 291 forum. There are links to some good info on WSUS.

weird huh? thats MS for you.
    i guess i am gonna have to brush up on those skills gained from 290, thing is i only have 24 hours to do this! my exam is on Tuesday, i will report back (with my head held down probablyicon_cry.gif).
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    SUS has been gone for years, they need to update or retire those exams.

WSUS is on what, 3.0 SP1?

Yeah it's been gone for quite some time. As my IT instructor use to say "Dr. SUS is dead". And that's been a long while ago LOL. I believe there's a SP2 now.

weird huh? thats MS for you.
    i guess i am gonna have to brush up on those skills gained from 290, thing is i only have 24 hours to do this! my exam is on Tuesday, i will report back (with my head held down probablyicon_cry.gif).

Just have confidence and you'll get through it. There's 53 questions, and you'll see waaay more on DNS, RRAS and IPSec than WSUS. Therefore if you're comfortable with those objectives you should do fine. Good luck :D
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□

thank you MetholMoose for point that out. The exam objectives on said vendors website is usually the most up-to-date outline for an exam. If you have a question about an exam regarding what it covers, that's the first place to go. Publishing a 1000+ Page book, then revising it, then republishing with all the addendum's takes a LONG time; much longer than going out on the web and looking at the objectives yourself. While Im not siding with a particular publisher, my point is that the process to publish a book/CBT is really intense and time consuming. The best thing you can do for yourself is take accountability for knowing the most up to date objectives. Weather its asking (or searching first) on the boards, or going to the vendor site and checking them out. I always have the mindset that its my time/money/effort that's being used, so I am going to give myself the best advantage possible. And for the record, this is not just a Microsoft thing. Most exams/updates are like this. I have been burned once or twice by this before.

As for SUS/WSUS, its been on the exam objectives for a while. Im pretty sure my MSPress book for 291 (or 293) had WSUS in it (cant tell you what edition it is). You will most likely see a reference to SUS/WSUS throughout the rest of your MCSE journey, so I would brush up and lab it out until you feel comfortable with the basic features.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    thanks guys i did brush up on what you guys advised me with, passed 820!
    Congratz! See, I knew you'd get through it. Nice score too, well done :)