Options

Security Certs

NullCodeNullCode Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, i have been reading a lot about Security Certs and i have a couple of questions.
Before i begin to enumerate them, i want to say i am a CCNA, CCNA:Security, and now studying for the CCNP composite exam. I am still a student, and i want to get into Security.(After CCNP, will go for CCSP). The thing is, as i saw all the certs presented here, C|EH, SSCP, CISSP, etc.. all of them need 2 years of Security Related Job. As i am a student, i do not have the *years available for this things, so i am asking you, what sould i do ?

I will finish my college this year(Computer Science), and was hoping to get a job. I really enjoy security.
Ok, so here are a few questions:

1. What is up with all of the points i see you need per year, for C|EH/CISSP/SSCP ?
2. Can i take the C|EH exam?(eventhow i am a student)
3. After i get a job, when will i have the time to learn new stuff.(here is what i am thinking: If C|EH askes for 2 years of exp, CISSP for 5, when you get 5 years of exp, will you have the time to learn for CISSP? Won't it take forever?)
Now i am putting about 8-10/day hours in learning for my exams, and for Cisco exams.

Thanks, and sorry for my bad english.

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes, but you will need to take their official online class to be eligble to take the exam.

Here is an e-mail I received from them on the class:
    Hey there *******,

Regarding training for CEH, we have a couple of options for you; iClass and iLearn!

iClass is EC Council’s live, online, instructor-led training modality! The flex schedule is designed to spread the learning out over a period of time and avoid missing a full week’s worth of work. (Twice a week for five weeks delivered in four hour sessions.) Of course we still have the iWeek as well which is five consecutive days (M-F) for 8 hours a day. Click HERE to view the complete schedule of classes!
    The SRP of the course is $2895 and includes the certification voucher, official courseware and shipping the courseware to you! We offer an Early Bird special that reduces the rate to $2495! (All Class times are offered MDT.)
    iLearn is EC Council's facilitated self-paced option. Facilitated in that all of the same modules taught in the live course are recorded and presented in a streaming video format. Self-paced in that a certification candidate can stop and start the lectures based on their individual time table.
    The iLearn package includes Official Courseware, Certification Voucher & expert instructor-led training modules with customized presentations, practice simulators and learning supplements including the EC-Council Training Kit for an all-inclusive training program that provides the benefits of classroom training at your own pace. The cost for the package is $1449.
    Let me know which of these modalities best fits your learning style and I can help you get set up! Thanks so much for your inquiry!

Eric Lopez, Director of Online Learning
    EC-Council | North America
    Web: EC Council Online Ethical Hacker CEH Security Certification Training
    US Office: 505.341.3228 ext. 107

FYI, I think most TE members would say the training is way overpriced.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NullCode wrote: »
    Hi, i have been reading a lot about Security Certs and i have a couple of questions.
    Before i begin to enumerate them, i want to say i am a CCNA, CCNA:Security, and now studying for the CCNP composite exam. I am still a student, and i want to get into Security.(After CCNP, will go for CCSP). The thing is, as i saw all the certs presented here, C|EH, SSCP, CISSP, etc.. all of them need 2 years of Security Related Job. As i am a student, i do not have the *years available for this things, so i am asking you, what sould i do ?

I will finish my college this year(Computer Science), and was hoping to get a job. I really enjoy security.
    Ok, so here are a few questions:

1. What is up with all of the points i see you need per year, for C|EH/CISSP/SSCP ?
    3. After i get a job, when will i have the time to learn new stuff.(here is what i am thinking: If C|EH asks for 2 years of exp, CISSP for 5, when you get 5 years of exp, will you have the time to learn for CISSP? Won't it take forever?)
    Now i am putting about 8-10/day hours in learning for my exams, and for Cisco exams.

Thanks, and sorry for my bad english.

Forget about security and get experience. The experience is what makes a senior IT professional not the certs. Most senior positions also expect you to have years of experience in more than one category as well usually they want MS,Cisco and unix/linux. There is no fast track in this field and there never will be.
  • Options
    unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    NullCode wrote: »

3. After i get a job, when will i have the time to learn new stuff.(here is what i am thinking: If C|EH askes for 2 years of exp, CISSP for 5, when you get 5 years of exp, will you have the time to learn for CISSP? Won't it take forever?)

1. A lot of certifications currently (or will) require "maintenance credits" to maintain the certification. These are typically called CPEs. You get them from doing security related learning, like reading books, writing books, writing articles, going to conferences, going to chapter meetings, watching web casts. You also have the option to retake the exams as a form of recertification, but it is easier just to maintain the certifications. It is amazing what counts as credits when you look at all the rules.

2. You can submit an application to have the two years of experience waived. If you are getting a security related degree and all ready have some certifications they would probably let you take the C|EH.

3. With a job in security learning is a never ending process. I have a wife, kid, a full time job, and I go to school. In a few years I've managed to get my Network+, Security+, C|EH, CISSP, GCIH, and soon my GCIA. If you have the desire, you will make time.

My personal recommendation to you would be to start with a lower level security certification, like the CompTIA Security+. It is a good base line certification where you will be introduced to a lot of new topics like access control methods, cryptology, digital certificates, etc. Also, the Sec+ can be used to waive experience requirements for higher level certifications.

Good luck!
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,030 Admin
    GAngel wrote: »
    Forget about security and get experience. The experience is what makes a senior IT professional not the certs. Most senior positions also expect you to have years of experience in more than one category as well usually they want MS,Cisco and unix/linux.
    This pretty much sums it up. Getting professional certs is not the first thing you should jump to. Professional work experience is king and certs are just something to keep you learning, and to differentiate yourself (and your resume) from your professional peers.

Getting the Security+/CCNA:Sec/CCNP/CCSP, and a job that uses all that knowledge, is an excellent beginning to a computer networking security career.
    GAngel wrote: »
    There is no fast track in this field and there never will be.
    Well, there are the "who you know" and "dumb luck" factors that sometimes come into play, but I wouldn't count on those happening when you need a paycheck now. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    NullCodeNullCode Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for all of your replies.
    @veritas_libertas @unsupported: thanks i will try to send an email, and see what they say.
    @JDMurray @GAngel: I know that you need experience, but due to the world 'economic crisis' there are fewer jobs, and a lot more applicants for a job. I was thinking that now(when there are no jobs out there) it is a good time to study.
    Where i live(Romania) there are a few Security related jobs, and they are hard to get into. I thought that the certifications will put my resume on their table, because i would present 'potential', eventhow i have 100+ hours of labs but the real-life experience is 0.

As i said earlier, i think that now is the time to learn(due to economic crisis and my final year of faculty)