Options

CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy

Comments

• Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anything about Sec+ renewing A+/N+ as well? Or no?
    The way I read press release, if you renew the highest level cert that you hold and the lower ones will renew as well. The hierarchy goes Sec+, N+, and then A+.

I understand Comptia trying to stay fresh, but not on the backs of all of us that have the Lifetime Certs. It BS plain and simple!
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    I talked to them, and indeed the Security+ updates everything under it.

You the man. icon_cheers.gif
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What about Server+ and all the others?
  • Options
    NorbieNorbie Member Posts: 105
    Well I just filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau regarding CompTIA. Probably won't help but at least I feel better.
    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
  • Options
    wd40 wrote: »

Safe...for the moment. We didn't think the other 3 would ever expire but now they do. It's only a matter of time before they all do IMO.
    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm shocked they didn't expect a bigger backlash. Re-certifying entry level certs icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Somehow I missed the post about the annual $49 maintenance fee. I think I'm just going to let these lapse. I'll pay the $225 or whatever if I ever need it again for any reason; that'll save me in the long run.

The plan for CECs is ridiculous. You need 50 to renew the Security+, and they only give you 20 for writing a book. Somehow taking another relevant certification is worth twice that, which is still only 40. It's good to know that if I do the CISSP this year, it will cover 80% of what I need to validate my knowledge of Security+ material icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Originally Posted by wd40 viewpost.gif
    Norbie wrote: »
    Safe...for the moment. We didn't think the other 3 would ever expire but now they do. It's only a matter of time before they all do IMO.

I think the link with A+, Network+, and Security+ was directly related to the US Department of Defense Directive (DoD) 8570.1M that requires IT professionals to be certified at different levels with different certs.

The only three CompTIA certs mentioned and required in DoD 8570 are A+, Network+, and Security+. This is probably why they have been targeted for change and the others haven't.

Other certs cited in this document like CISSP and the GIAC certs are ISO/IEC 17024 certified. Likewise, only A+, Network+, and Security+ certs are ISO certified.

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    ISBN-10: 1439236364
    SY0-201 Blog
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    Somehow I missed the post about the annual $49 maintenance fee. I think I'm just going to let these lapse.

It's only every 3 years.
  • Options
    It says annual. That's how (ISC)2 does it as well (except I could justify that for a CISSP).
  • Options
    It says annual. That's how (ISC)2 does it as well (except I could justify that for a CISSP).

If so than that is a new change. I just talked to them yesterday, then again I guess they could change it in 24hrs.
  • Options
  • Options
    I think their just starting with the 3 certs, but when they see how much money it could bring in, it'll be changed on all of their certs! I don't have a problem with that but all of us with certs should be grandfathered in.

A class action lawsuit will come from this. **** I'm thinking about taking them to small claims court here in NC for breach of contract.
  • Options

It's just for the CEU, if you just take the newest test (beta) then you don't have to bother with it. But why is N+, and Sec+ twice as much as A+?

Is there a cost associated with the certification renewal program?

Participants will pay an annual maintenance fee of $25 if they are CompTIA A+ certified, or $49 if they are CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ certified. Payment of this annual fee will be required the first time each year you access the continuing education system. Only electronic payments will be accepted.
  • Options
    Ok dumb questions.

1. If I get another CompTIA certification besides these 3 does that count as credit towards CEU's? For example if I get Convergence+ would that work towards credits for Network+ since Convergence+ material touchs upon a lot of Network+ material? Would Server+ or Project+ or Linux+ also help (I had considered taking all of them eventually).

2. The weekly maintenance fee. It's what $29 dollars for A+ and $49 dollars for Security+. If I have all 3 do I have to $29 dollars for A+ plus $49 dollars for Network+ and $49 for Security+ or do I only have to pay the $49 dollars and it will recertify for all 3. And is the maintenance fee every year or every 3 years.

3. If I just re-take the ridiculously over priced tests I don't have to also pay the maintenance fee right? The Maintenance Fee is just if you are earning CEU's and don't want to retake the test right?

4. What qualifies as "an industry certification relevant to the highest level CompTIA certification achieved"
  • Options

WoW they told me on the phone it would only be every three years icon_sad.gif

I wasn't as annoyed about every three years but every year is outrageous!

Renewal Policy FAQs
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    $$ch ching$ch ching$$!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    im really worry about my CompTIA cert being expire (or not) come on what is compTIA doing they are entry level after that most of us go for MCSE/CCNP i sont think is wort to come back and re-take compTIA it seems stupid to me
  • Options
    I think if you sit for your highest cert, you don't have to pay the annual fee.
  • Options
    CherperCherper Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is from their FAQ..

Participants will pay an annual maintenance fee of $25 if they are CompTIA A+ certified, or $49 if they are CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ certified. Payment of this annual fee will be required the first time each year you access the continuing education system. Only electronic payments will be accepted.
    Studying and Reading:

Whatever strikes my fancy...
  • Options
    Cherper wrote: »
    This is from their FAQ..

If you take the newest test, you don't use the continuing education system, which is when you have to pay. It's two different things, there's the renewal program, and then the CEU compent.

Can I keep my certification current without taking a new exam?

Yes. Our certification renewal program includes a continuing education component that allows eligible individuals to renew their certifications by earning continuing education credits.
  • Options
    CherperCherper Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    steve13ad wrote: »
    If you take the newest test, you don't use the continuing education system, which is when you have to pay. It's two different things, there's the renewal program, and then the CEU compent.

Can I keep my certification current without taking a new exam?

Yes. Our certification renewal program includes a continuing education component that allows eligible individuals to renew their certifications by earning continuing education credits.

But are you planning on taking the new test every three years?
    Studying and Reading:

Whatever strikes my fancy...
  • Options
    Cherper wrote: »
    But are you planning on taking the new test every three years?

Yeah, no not really. They can rot in hell!

I've past the point in my career where their certs are any use, but my company doesn't provide reimbursement to get certified. So I stuck with Comptia's b/c of their lifetime policy.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If Comptia is non for profit but is located in Chicago!! I am sure that they want more money and the cost of living and trying to find a way to pay for health care is part of their plan. I would be interested in the class action lawsuit for the changes.

Personally I think members in this forum should start something like Comptia for A + Net+ and Sec+ then grant life certifications and under cut Comptia to put them out of business. People not taking their test = failure on their part once they see it they may change.

I was the first to state this was a money maker for them because of DoD stuff.
    Free Reading : History Books
  • Options
    Yeah, no not really. They can rot in hell!

I've past the point in my career where their certs are any use, but my company doesn't provide reimbursement to get certified. So I stuck with Comptia's b/c of their lifetime policy.

That's the situation I was in. My company wouldn't pay for certs so I tried to start off with certs that wouldn't expire...now the 3 certs I have expire...I'm bitter.
  • Options
    If Comptia is non for profit but is located in Chicago!! I am sure that they want more money and the cost of living and trying to find a way to pay for health care is part of their plan. I would be interested in the class action lawsuit for the changes.

Personally I think members in this forum should start something like Comptia for A + Net+ and Sec+ then grant life certifications and under cut Comptia to put them out of business. People not taking their test = failure on their part once they see it they may change.

I was the first to state this was a money maker for them because of DoD stuff.

Yeah but they've chopped off three of their cash cow's legs. All that's let is the DoD, But when people stop getting their entry level certs, then the government will eventually question Comptia's value.

Nothing like working yourself right out of a job!
  • Options
    stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah but they've chopped off three of their cash cow's legs. All that's let is the DoD, But when people stop getting their entry level certs, then the government will eventually question Comptia's value.

Nothing like working yourself right out of a job!

Funny is that in order to have certain clearances in DoD require CISSP level meaning there is no need to reupdate Sec+

Comptia #fail

This is why I never took A+ I can really care less if the power supply is get 5 volts or whatever if the damn thing won't turn on you try another power supply tada it works logical process to problem solving. Something I learned in college which they don't teach any more.
    Free Reading : History Books
  • Options
    Comptia has stopped allowing new posts on it's blogs! Nothing like trying to limit the appearance of outrage! What a pack of douche bags!
  • Options
    Well, you have to figure that no one was going to renew their certs when they were good for life, so they'll definitely have more income now then they would have before icon_lol.gif

While I do think the way they're going about this is a bit absurd, I really don't get the outrage. They're entry-level certs, so you'll (hopefully) be beyond that point by the time they expire. I'm kind of confused as to why people are talking about class-action lawsuits and filing complaints with the BBB.