Options

CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy

123457»

Comments

• Options
    EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I really can't understand the outrage here. Both of my computer forensic certifications require re-certification every two or three years. Re-certification requires 30 - 40 hours of instructor led training, a fee, and sometimes an exam. This only seems natural as it ensures individuals holding the certification are current with today's technologies.

If anything, this might boost the credibility of the certification.

EDIT: I do get the anger from those who are all ready certified, because a re-certification process should be disclosed before someone gets a certification, not after. However, I still believe this is a great move by CompTIA. Maybe this will force them to update their exams more often and get rid of the questions on archaic technology.
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The outrage is because these are entry-level certifications and advertised for many years as life-time. They filled a need.

The IT industry needs a one-time exam to be used for entry-level IT professionals.

As a song said "Don't Look Back". Don't go back and retake entry level stuff.

A person can use these one-time certs exams to show basic knowledge of a subject or use them for professional growth requirements at their job. They are expensive exams and maybe one can only take one exam every year or every two years.

The stepping stones with Comptia certs would follow, an IT professional can start with A+, then N+, Security+, Linux+ and have a good basic overall knowledge of the subjects.
    These certs will not make any one an expert but give one a good start.

As a person decides what career track to take it might be Security, System Administration, etc.... So, that person may desire or be required to obtain more advanced certifications such as Cisco, Microsoft, LPI, CISSP, etc....

In addition to obtaining these more advanced certifications a person may also gain a higher paying job with more responsibilities.

Since certifications is not the end-all, an IT person will constantly be learning this new position which will be more challenging, require more higher skills, etc...

So how would be possible for an experienced person in a challenging position and higher demanding job, keep up with new technology changes, keep up their certifications in their advanced specialities and keep all certifications active including the entry-level ones.

I say it is impossible. There has to be life outside of work and also outside of certification studies.

What will happen is IT professionals will keep their Cisco, CISSP, etc... going, but drop all of their Comptia certifications. I can't see most IT professionals keeping their Comptia IT certifications with this new model longer than 3 to 5 years.

An experienced person probably would not want to put these entry-level expired certs on their resumes, but it is nice to have in case one is asked what studies or education you've done in the past 10 years, etc....

I'm not sure why Comptia is thinking that they need to rise to the level of other certifications. They need to stay in their current role and strive to keep doing a better job at that role which is entry-level certifications. One time exams which are good for life.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    CompTIA's new renewal policy specifies that the reason for the expiration/renewal for A+, Network+ and Security+ is so these certs conform to ISO/IEC 17024, which is a requirement of DoD 8570.01-M. Anyone who needs A+, N+ or S+ to stay compliant with 8570.01 will still need to renew these cert regardless if they got them before 1/1/2011 or not.
  • Options
    EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    twodogs62 wrote: »
    The outrage is because these are entry-level certifications and advertised for many years as life-time. They filled a need.

The IT industry needs a one-time exam to be used for entry-level IT professionals.

As a song said "Don't Look Back". Don't go back and retake entry level stuff.

A person can use these one-time certs exams to show basic knowledge of a subject or use them for professional growth requirements at their job. They are expensive exams and maybe one can only take one exam every year or every two years.

The stepping stones with Comptia certs would follow, an IT professional can start with A+, then N+, Security+, Linux+ and have a good basic overall knowledge of the subjects.
    These certs will not make any one an expert but give one a good start.

As a person decides what career track to take it might be Security, System Administration, etc.... So, that person may desire or be required to obtain more advanced certifications such as Cisco, Microsoft, LPI, CISSP, etc....

In addition to obtaining these more advanced certifications a person may also gain a higher paying job with more responsibilities.

Since certifications is not the end-all, an IT person will constantly be learning this new position which will be more challenging, require more higher skills, etc...

So how would be possible for an experienced person in a challenging position and higher demanding job, keep up with new technology changes, keep up their certifications in their advanced specialities and keep all certifications active including the entry-level ones.

I say it is impossible. There has to be life outside of work and also outside of certification studies.

What will happen is IT professionals will keep their Cisco, CISSP, etc... going, but drop all of their Comptia certifications. I can't see most IT professionals keeping their Comptia IT certifications with this new model longer than 3 to 5 years.

An experienced person probably would not want to put these entry-level expired certs on their resumes, but it is nice to have in case one is asked what studies or education you've done in the past 10 years, etc....

I'm not sure why Comptia is thinking that they need to rise to the level of other certifications. They need to stay in their current role and strive to keep doing a better job at that role which is entry-level certifications. One time exams which are good for life.

You make some great points twodogs. I especially liked your point that many people with advanced level certs would simply let the CompTIA certifications expire. I'm sure CompTIA has thought about that, and I'd be interested in hearing their opinion about that issue.

However, as you mention, these are entry-level certs. The A+, Network+, and Linux+ (can't speak for the Security+) are not difficult exams. If for some reason an experienced IT individual needed the certs for an interview or to fulfill a new job requirement, these exams could be passed with a week to a month of casual study. A week or a month, once every three years, doesn't seem like a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Our industry (IT) is very demanding. It requires a huge time commitment outside of the job to keep up with what's new and what has changed, because those changes occur daily. That is the reason many of us got into it. I think these renewals are just one small part of that time commitment.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Everlife wrote: »
    However, as you mention, these are entry-level certs. The A+, Network+, and Linux+ (can't speak for the Security+) are not difficult exams. If for some reason an experienced IT individual needed the certs for an interview or to fulfill a new job requirement, these exams could be passed with a week to a month of casual study. A week or a month, once every three years, doesn't seem like a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
    Its not an issue of tmie or study for me, it is an issue of money. They charged an arm and a leg for those certs specifically because they were for life, so their business model knew with no renewals, they would have to get all their money up front...and they did.

On top of that, many people hold multiples of those three exams. So for me, I spent about $1,000 on the tests and study materials (remember A+ was 2 exams). So for those of us that did honor and acheive those, we now have to pay even more.

I associate what they're doing with what I've seen happen after hurricanes. People bring down trucks filled with chainsaws, generators, ice, etc...and charge DOUBLE what they're worth when they know you can't do without it, and they're the only game in town. Also similar to what movie theatres have done with concession prices. It is simple price gouging, and that is what enrages me, and is why I'll never renew or pursue another comptia cert.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    brad- wrote: »
    Its not an issue of tmie or study for me, it is an issue of money. They charged an arm and a leg for those certs specifically because they were for life, so their business model knew with no renewals, they would have to get all their money up front...and they did.

On top of that, many people hold multiples of those three exams. So for me, I spent about $1,000 on the tests and study materials (remember A+ was 2 exams). So for those of us that did honor and acheive those, we now have to pay even more.

I associate what they're doing with what I've seen happen after hurricanes. People bring down trucks filled with chainsaws, generators, ice, etc...and charge DOUBLE what they're worth when they know you can't do without it, and they're the only game in town. Also similar to what movie theatres have done with concession prices. It is simple price gouging, and that is what enrages me, and is why I'll never renew or pursue another comptia cert.
    I don't know if you've read through all the terms & latest updates about the certification renewal policies, but anyone who is currently certified or becomes certified through the end of this year remains certified for life. They're not enforcing the new renewal policy until January 1st of next year. Not sure what CompTIA certs you have currently, but any ones you do have now or get by year's end won't need to be renewed.

Also, for those who hold multiple certs, they will only have to renew/update/submit continuing education credits for the highest level cert. So if someone has A+, Network+ & Security+, it's just the Security+ cert they'll have to keep current and all the others will be renewed with them.

I don't really get the price gouging reference, I think it's a bit extreme. I'm not trying to say that it doesn't suck that folks will have to renew and will have to pay additional fees, but CompTIA is doing it to stay current and they're not the only ones out there that are requiring certification renewals. I honestly believe it's going to add to CompTIA's reputation....yes, most CompTIA certs are entry level, but they are looked down upon by some because of the lifetime certification. I think that renewals and keeping current can only do good things for the validity of their certs.

Now...all that being said, in all honesty, I'm still pretty glad that I won't be forced to renew my current certifications. Although if I do get Security+ before year's end I would probably voluntarily renew it to keep it current if I ended up in a job/field where it was relevant.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    poriggityporiggity Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just received my A+ certification card and certificate in the mail and was happy to see that it doesn't ever expire. Way to fight it. That being said, A+ is probably the only Comptia Cert I will ever get... Microsoft certs from here on out.
    Scott
    A+, 70-270, and working on 70-290 now. Certs are good.
    claymoore wrote:
    If you're unzipping your fly to show off your A+, N+ and Sec+, I'm going to ask if it's cold in here.
  • Options
    My latest blog article explains 8570.01 and what CompTIA is doing and why: IT Certifications and DoD Directive 8570.01-M | TechExams.net Blogs
  • Options
    GeeLoGeeLo Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hello.. I hope this isn't against the forum rules.. I posted this over in the Security+ forum as there are some recent CompTIA certificate holders (like myself) who received there certificates with "valid through" (insert date) in the lower right hand corner, when the policy was going to be in effect.

I've been talking to Senior level management in CompTIA about the policy change. And I was able to get this for all the new CompTIA Certification holders that have that "valid through" (expire) date on the certifications:

This is what was emailed back to me. CompTIA said it ok to pass this along to everyone:

Quote:
    Just so you know we are going to be re-issuing anyone who received a certificate with the “valid through” dates on their certificates this week. Please allow 4 – 6 weeks for the postal service to deliver your new certificate to reach you (without the date on it)..
    Also if you do not see your certificate after that time frame send a email to questions@comptia.org

I was also hoping that a Moderator or Administrator could sticky this in the different CompTIA forums.. or somewhere that everyone can see it.

Thank You.

GeeLo
    Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Project Management, Security, Servers, Workstations, Software, Networking, Windows, Unix and Linux and.. Cloud. :-)
  • Options
    So if I read that correctly, CompTIA made a bookkeeping mistake and prematurely started issuing new certificates with an expiration date, and is now re-issuing replacement certificates with no expiry date to those that received them. Yes?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Of course we can. Tomorrow's a new day, and there'll always be something else to fight about. icon_lol.gif

and reality sets in... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    GeeLo wrote: »
    Hello.. I hope this isn't against the forum rules.. I posted this over in the Security+ forum as there are some recent CompTIA certificate holders (like myself) who received there certificates with "valid through" (insert date) in the lower right hand corner, when the policy was going to be in effect.

I've been talking to Senior level management in CompTIA about the policy change. And I was able to get this for all the new CompTIA Certification holders that have that "valid through" (expire) date on the certifications:

This is what was emailed back to me. CompTIA said it ok to pass this along to everyone:

Quote:
    Just so you know we are going to be re-issuing anyone who received a certificate with the “valid through” dates on their certificates this week. Please allow 4 – 6 weeks for the postal service to deliver your new certificate to reach you (without the date on it)..
    Also if you do not see your certificate after that time frame send a email to questions@comptia.org

I was also hoping that a Moderator or Administrator could sticky this in the different CompTIA forums.. or somewhere that everyone can see it.

Thank You.

GeeLo

Nice! :D
  • Options
    GeeLoGeeLo Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    So if I read that correctly, CompTIA made a bookkeeping mistake and prematurely started issuing new certificates with an expiration date, and is now re-issuing replacement certificates with no expiry date to those that received them. Yes?

bookkeeping mistake.. error in judgment.. a premature policy implementation.. Yes. Anyone who has a "vaild through" date on their certificate, they will be sending them another certificate without the date.
    4 to 6 weeks delivery. This makes me happy as my CompTIA Security+ certificate has such a date on it.. and I received the certificate this past December 2009. I've heard others on the forums here talking about the same thing. So at least that is good news...
    Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Project Management, Security, Servers, Workstations, Software, Networking, Windows, Unix and Linux and.. Cloud. :-)
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    GiddyG wrote: »
    In a word, Yes.

I think a lot of people would do that, with elapsed time they have moved on in their careers and the Comptia certs are just not in the reckoning for the jobs they are applying for today.

The lifetime moniker should stay really. Its a big reason for why so many people signed up for it over the years. Add to which, yes folks doing Comptia certs do pay Comptia wages actually. You may think that the thousand or so dollars you spend chasing them doesn't pay anyones wages but dont think in isolation, millions of people have taken these tests in one flavour or another and it all adds up!
  • Options
    Received a new certificate Friday.
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just found out today about this. An e-mail was sent out notifying us to get our certs asap so we don't want to have to renew them again in the future. I'm good though. I'm going to try and get all of my fellow airmen to get their **** done.

Ninja bump!
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    someuser23someuser23 Member Posts: 103
    I really don't see any jobs requiring a Network + so I don't know if this makes sense. Not many entry level jobs out there that require anything outside of the A+ from Comptia.
    Ribs still touching....
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I really don't see any jobs requiring a Network + so I don't know if this makes sense. Not many entry level jobs out there that require anything outside of the A+ from Comptia.

Anything helps, your comparing a person with A+ against a person with A+ and Net+. The second person should have more knowledge and also seems more devoted to IT.

That being said, doesn't A+ and an operating system cert say the same thing? Maybe. I don't know the answer to that. Having an extra certification really won't hurt you. And the certification isn't that expensive. $30-$40 for a book, $200ish for the voucher, and maybe a couple hundred on test prep software or videos. I got mine for less than $500.

$500 amounts to about 24 cents an hour for work (over the course of 1 year, 40 hours per week). Do you think net+ will give you a quarter an hour raise? And that is just talking 1 year, this thing is currently still valid for life so lets say you get it and use it for the next 24 years. Now is it going to earn you a penny an hour more? If it does, you just made a good investment.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    FYI, for DoD folks with the lifetime Security+ cert, (for Army at least, don't know about other branches) and you are part of the IA Workforce 8570 requirement - it is still mandatory that you enroll in the Comptia CPE program, and Army will pay the annual fees. From an Army Information Assurance Training and Certification June newsletter: (minus formatting)
    CompTIA is transitioning to a continuing education format to meet the ISO 17204 stan-dards. Currently CompTIA is evaluating the list of courses from the DoD services. The course completions equate to a certain number of Continu-ing Professional Education Credits. CompTIA hopes to have everything formulated and confirmed NLT Oct 10.
    Personnel certified in A+, Network+ and Security+ by 31 Dec 2010 will be "certified for life" by CompTIA stan-
    dards. All personnel holding one of the CompTIA certifica-tions and who are part of the IA workforce shall opt into the continuing education process on
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]1 Jan 2011 [/FONT][/FONT]and no later than [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]31 Dec 2012[/FONT][/FONT]. Certified personnel who do not opt into the continuing education by 31 Dec 2012 will have to [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]RE-TAKE [/FONT][/FONT]the commercial certifi-cation exam under the con-tinuing education umbrella or naming schema. The retake is required if you are a mem-ber of the DoD IA workforce only.
    The yearly maintenance fee will be paid by DoD as long as your certifications have been released through DMDC a t
    [FONT=Consolas,Consolas][FONT=Consolas,Consolas]h t t p s : / / www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/ d w c / i n d e x . j s p .
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]credit requirements:
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Security+:
    [/FONT][/FONT]50 CPEs every 3 years
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Network+:
    [/FONT][/FONT]30 CPEs every 3 years
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]A+:
    [/FONT][/FONT]20 CPEs every 3 years
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed