Need some help please!!!!

Javi437Javi437 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was messing sround with my switch and with out even thinking erased the whole thing out. I am getting (The system is unable to boot automatically because there are no bootable files to boot) What can i possibly do to fix this?
Thanks, Javier
CCENT

Comments

  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Javi437 wrote: »
    I was messing sround with my switch and with out even thinking erased the whole thing out. I am getting (The system is unable to boot automatically because there are no bootable files to boot) What can i possibly do to fix this?
    Thanks, Javier

    You erased the flash icon_eek.gif

    ****THESE ANSWERS ARE ASSUMING YOU ONLY HAVE THE ROMMON PROMPT****

    Try this:


    ROMmon Recovery for the Cisco 2500, 3000, AS5100, and uBR900 Series Routers - Cisco Systems

    If you are lucky that will work. You may have to use Xmodem (this will take forever)

    Xmodem Console Download Procedure Using ROMmon - Cisco Systems
  • Javi437Javi437 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    You erased the flash icon_eek.gif

    ****THESE ANSWERS ARE ASSUMING YOU ONLY HAVE THE ROMMON PROMPT****

    Try this:


    ROMmon Recovery for the Cisco 2500, 3000, AS5100, and uBR900 Series Routers - Cisco Systems

    If you are lucky that will work. You may have to use Xmodem (this will take forever)

    Xmodem Console Download Procedure Using ROMmon - Cisco Systems

    Yeah i don't have those prompts, it just says switch on it. So i guess i cant do anything then?
    CCENT
  • r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486
    Javi437 wrote: »
    I was messing sround with my switch and with out even thinking erased the whole thing out. I am getting (The system is unable to boot automatically because there are no bootable files to boot) What can i possibly do to fix this?
    Thanks, Javier

    Which model switch is it?
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • Javi437Javi437 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    r_durant wrote: »
    Which model switch is it?


    Its a catalyst 2924xl
    CCENT
  • r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486
    Javi437 wrote: »
    Its a catalyst 2924xl

    Do you have another similar switch, or a copy of the IOS?

    Try these steps, found them in a post...

    Step 1 Connect a PC with terminal-emulation software supporting the XMODEM protocol to the switch console port.

    Step 2 Set the line speed on the emulation software to 9600 baud.

    Step 3 Unplug the power cord from the back of the switch.

    Step 4 Press and hold in the Mode button, and at the same time, reconnect the power cord to the switch. You can release the Mode button a second or two after the LED above port 1X goes off. Although the switch software did not start, you can use the boot loader to enter commands.

    Step 5 At the switch: prompt, enter the flash_init command to initialize the flash file system:

    switch: flash_init

    Step 6 Enter the copy xmodem boot loader command to start the transfer.

    Step 7 switch: copy xmodem: flash:image_filename
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    r_durant wrote: »
    Do you have another similar switch, or a copy of the IOS?

    Try these steps, found them in a post...

    Step 1 Connect a PC with terminal-emulation software supporting the XMODEM protocol to the switch console port.

    Step 2 Set the line speed on the emulation software to 9600 baud.

    Step 3 Unplug the power cord from the back of the switch.

    Step 4 Press and hold in the Mode button, and at the same time, reconnect the power cord to the switch. You can release the Mode button a second or two after the LED above port 1X goes off. Although the switch software did not start, you can use the boot loader to enter commands.

    Step 5 At the switch: prompt, enter the flash_init command to initialize the flash file system:

    switch: flash_init

    Step 6 Enter the copy xmodem boot loader command to start the transfer.

    Step 7 switch: copy xmodem: flash:image_filename

    Little slips like that force you into the hell that is XMODEM icon_sad.gif
    On the up side, once you fixed it, I bet you don't do it again :)
    Kam.
  • hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    Little slips like that force you into the hell that is XMODEM icon_sad.gif
    On the up side, once you fixed it, I bet you don't do it again :)
    Ain't that the truth!

    In any case, it is good practice!
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
  • Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
    I did this exact same thing. I also had to wait 30 minutes for a 3MB file to transfer using xmodem. My advice is to use tftp32 on your machine and backup your IOS image anytime that you're going to muck around with it. I was going insane that no matter how much I pressed ctrl+break I couldn't get into ROMMON in my case, then I found the documentation about holding the mode button down, then releasing.

    Good times!
  • Javi437Javi437 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    r_durant wrote: »
    Do you have another similar switch, or a copy of the IOS?

    Try these steps, found them in a post...

    Step 1 Connect a PC with terminal-emulation software supporting the XMODEM protocol to the switch console port.

    Step 2 Set the line speed on the emulation software to 9600 baud.

    Step 3 Unplug the power cord from the back of the switch.

    Step 4 Press and hold in the Mode button, and at the same time, reconnect the power cord to the switch. You can release the Mode button a second or two after the LED above port 1X goes off. Although the switch software did not start, you can use the boot loader to enter commands.

    Step 5 At the switch: prompt, enter the flash_init command to initialize the flash file system:

    switch: flash_init

    Step 6 Enter the copy xmodem boot loader command to start the transfer.

    Step 7 switch: copy xmodem: flash:image_filename


    It worked and now i am up and running, thanks to all of you for the help. Now got to start on some lab work.
    CCENT
Sign In or Register to comment.