Options

Problem - wallpaper in GPO of Windows 2003 in Windows 7

jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
Hi Guys. We are now testing Windows 7 for our corporate deployment. Our domain is still in Windows 2003 and I am using a GPO for our corporate wallpaper. The problem is that, when it is applying the GPO, the desktop turns black and I need to select the Windows 7 Aero Themes to Windows 7 for the GPO wallpaper that I set to show. The other this that I did is save the theme but every time I looged in , I will reselect the save theme which is unacceptable. I read this problem from technet forum and it seems that this is a bug. If you have solution for this in your deployment, please post it here.... We need to deploy the Windows 7 but we don't have any plan to upgrade our domain to Windows 2008 for now. Please help....

Comments

• Options
    mcse_696mcse_696 Member Posts: 151
    it seems the registry key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper] is missing and caused this problem. to work around this issue please create a string Value [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper] on client and try to set wallpaper
    We can use GPO to deploy this registry key or use user logon script tp deploy registry key.

please try first on your test machine before deploy on all your clients
  • Options
    Ive already seen this recommendation in Microsoft Technet forum before I post it here in the techexams, mcse_696. This is unacceptable considering that we have many clients and some are in remote areas. As they already discuss this on the technet that Microsoft missed this bug, a very simple bug that now needs a hotfix. Many administrators want to deploy Windows 7 are now waiting for the hotfix on this. Thanks anyway but if there is an update for this, please let everybody know so that this bug can be fix.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Are you using a Windows 7 machine to configure the group policy?
  • Options
    Nope.... I am using/applying our GPO through Windows 2003 domain.

Please refer to technet forum: Wallpaper via Group Policy and Windows 7
  • Options
    Use a windows 7 machine with RSAT installed to edit and configure group policies.

Windows 7 clients on 2003 domain / group policy
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jojopramos wrote: »
    Ive already seen this recommendation in Microsoft Technet forum before I post it here in the techexams, mcse_696. This is unacceptable considering that we have many clients and some are in remote areas.
    What difference does the number of clients or their remoteness make? If you are setting the wallpaper via GPO you can also create the registry key in the logon script.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    What difference does the number of clients or their remoteness make? If you are setting the wallpaper via GPO you can also create the registry key in the logon script.

Kind of what I was thinking. If the reg edit fixes the issue, why not make it part of the test machine image, or create a startup script to add it?

If Microsoft creates a "patch" for this issue like you seem to want, how do you think its going to get deployed? Either through a script/gpo by you or through wsus, depending on how the make the fix available. Either way, it has to be pushed out to all client machines.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    I tried the work around - create a string Value [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper] on client and try to set wallpaper, then I use GPO to deploy this registry key but it still don't work in my domain. I know that there's no difference on the number of clients that I have in applying the GPO, I am just pressured by my boss to deploy windows 7 ASAP but I need more time to test on the impact of deployment. I know that many of my desktop/laptop clients will complain if they notice that the wallpaper just goes black everytime they log on. Configuration in our GPO are based on the agreed company policy. I just want to minimize the complaints and be sure of our deployment.

I will try Hyper-me's recommendation to use the Windows 7 machine with RSAT installed. Another option is to install a windows 2008 server. I will let you know on the update guys. Thanks...
  • Options
    I called a tech at a branch location that just started deploying some 7 at work and this bug is confirmed on a Server 2008 Domain/Forest functional level AD as well.

I too will be trying to come up with a fix for this, if i can.
  • Options
    Hi Guys... I already installed RSAT on my Windows 7 node... Turn windows features on or off is a good feature since you can just select the tools that you need on your RSAT.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=7d2f6ad7-656b-4313-a005-4e344e43997d

By the way, I tried many things including the registry preference suggestion from technet but it still don't solve my problem (regarding the wallpaper issue). I even try to repath my save theme through RSAT GPO but to no avail. The only solution that we are doing is after the log in, the black screen will show, then the user will right click on the desktop, select Personalize, then choose Windows 7 Aero and our corporate GPO will show up. I will check all the possiblity to solve this but for now, our user is ok with that procedure since they want to use Windows 7 ASAP. Hyper-Me, any update on your test?
  • Options
    Nothing yet. I've been sick this weekend so havnt felt like hopping on the VPN to test this out.

I will be looking at it heavily next tuesday-wednesday.
  • Options
    It is a very frustrating 3 days of correcting the corporate wallpaper problem, hayyyyyssss... But there is a ray of hope: I install Windows 7 on a Dell Optiflex machine with 4GB and an Intel Q45 Video card and it works for 3 restart. But... on my fourth restart, it goes to black screen again. Well, I'm back to manually selecting the Windows 7 Aero Themes to show the corporate wallpaper...

Other things that i've done:

1. In client registry, I've added the wallpaper in HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop (no effect)
    2. Added this at the group policy preference also -(no effect)
    3. enable the themes to path through the corporate wallpaper - (no effect)
    4. I tried different things in another machine through local admin, well... now I cant change the desktop wallpaper anymore on that certain machine....( opps but I can change only throgh solid colors).. when I select other desktop background in local admin, It didn't allow me...

I will never stop on messing with this.... technet has no update as well... i'm beginning to love windows 7 lol
  • Options
    RootstonianRootstonian Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm still a newb with this, but can't you create a roaming or "persistent" (forget what MS calls it) profile with the right desktop background?

Please, don't flame the "new guy" ROFL :)

roots
  • Options
    Hi Rootstonian, welcome to TE...

I tried the roaming profile yesterday but still a failure... ( persistent? are you referring to mandatory profile?
  • Options
    RootstonianRootstonian Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, mandatory...thanks. I was about ready to take 7-290 when it was suggested that the MCITP was a better track to start with. Yeah, I remembered something :) LOL

Hope you get it resolved.

Roots

P.S. Wish I was more advanced; this is the stuff I lived for as a programmer....debugging problems.
  • Options
    Hi Guys, I already solved this problem.... at last. Yeah, the solution on registry is right. (create a string Value [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper] on client and try to set wallpaper="the path of the wallpaper" then I use GPO to deploy this registry key).

But, it will still not work until I found out the solution below:

A box was checked in the ease of access saying "Remove background images (where availible)" it is a quick fix

Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Ease of Access -> Ease of Access Center

Once the dialoge box opens click "Make the computer easier to see" Scroll down and uncheck the box by "Remove background images (where availible)" Hit "Apply" then "Ok" and then restart and log back in before it takes affect.

and viola.... corporate desktop that is set on my GPO is showing.