Trunking switches cannot see one another?

Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
Evening ladies and gents,

I've got a 2950 and a 3500 series switch that I'm labbing up a bit of VTP on. I've hard coded the ports that the crossover cable currently is connected to as trunks and both interfaces show up/up. My problem is that after configuring one switch as a client and the other as a server-my client switch would not update. I did a show cdp neighbor, only to find that neither switch has the other show in it's neighbor table. I dont have any redundant links on the switches, and a show spanning-tree shows both ports in forwarding mode.

Any ideas?

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agent6376 wrote: »
    I've hard coded the ports that the crossover cable currently is connected to as trunks and both interfaces show up/up.
    The 2950 only supports 802.1Q trunking -- so there is no option to set the trunk encapsulation.

The 3500 supports ISL and 802.1Q -- with ISL the default. What did you set as the trunk encapsulation?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
    After your suggestion, I coded the 3500 for dot1q encapsulation, but I'm still unable to get another switch output on cdp neighbor. Thanks for that info though-that helps.
  • Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
    scratch that! It came up. Thanks Mike!