Options

Being jobless sucks

ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
I have being applying for I.T jobs straight for a couple of months and I am getting nowhere, is there anyone else in the same boat as me icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    These things often take a few months to come to fruition, so keep your head up and keep plugging away. I didn't get any responses for a relatively long time, and then people started getting in touch with me later on. It'll depend on your credentials, experience, local economy, etc. as well. I as able to move anywhere, and all the offers I got were out of state.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have a friend in Michigan who is in the same boat. It's very hard on ego, and down right depressing. The best way I have found around that feeling is to keep studying what I find interesting.

Good luck icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    I know it is hard being jobless but this is the time to work on your skills. I was unemployed for 2 months and my MCSE was gettign me hits but not what I wanted. I took a leap of faith and pulled out $3500 from my 401K and paid for VCP training and studied and got my VCP. About 2 weeks after my test I was contacted and the company I worked for wanted a VCP to help them with their existing virtual infrastructure which needed work. I am not saying this will happen for everyone but I took the leap and decided to train myself in something I never had time for while working. (I used VMware for 5 years now but never could get a week off for training until I was unemployed. Then you have time.

Good luck bud.

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    It's very hard on ego, and down right depressing. The best way I have found around that feeling is to keep studying what I find interesting.QUOTE]

It's always tough on the ego, more so if you have a good skillset\experience and still arent getting the calls.
    There are a LOT of highly skilled people out there applying for all sorts of jobs.

Keep plugging away at the studies (with or without going for the certs) it keeps you mind fresh and focused so should a call come your still sharp. Nothing worse than turning up for an interview for a role well within your capabilites to stumble at the simplest questions that you "know".

Hang in there keep appyling, keep asking people and advertise yourself everywhere icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Don't be afraid to change course on something slightly different than what you might normally do and open up opportunities you wouldn't normallly think about. If your being rigid in what you are after, you will limit your choices.
    Kam.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have being applying for I.T jobs straight for a couple of months and I am getting nowhere, is there anyone else in the same boat as me icon_sad.gif

Have you tried Linkedin, or signed up for Linked in?
    What is LinkedIn?
    LinkedIn is an interconnected network of experienced professionals from around the world, representing 170 industries and 200 countries. You can find, be introduced to, and collaborate with qualified professionals that you need to work with to accomplish your goals.
    What is LinkedIn? - 20 Translation(s) | dotSUB

Have you tried this job site yet?
    Robert Half United States - Home

Good luck on your search!!
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I feel your pain. Also do not be greedy or shy. What i mean is dont look for 100k paying jobs or dont be shy to look at the job with the JOB description your not too interested in. It doesnt hurt to get an interview with them and only to find out the job isnt that bad at all. You may find a hidden GEM type of job in that batch.

Also I agree with most posters here, use the down time to study and get your skills up. Review a lot of the material and certs you have now so you can answer questions better during the interviews. When i got laid off i used my down time to complete my ISCW for my CCNP and although i didnt have my completed CCNP many employers saw value in my experience and my long term goals. So i got a lot of calls and this was during the worst of economic times, Summer of 09!

Take my advice, look at those jobs you push aside, it doesnt hurt to interview and see what the job is "really" about! You might get lucky and that JOB description was some template some HR person slapped on.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    IT_FANIT_FAN Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Fortunately, I receive tuition after my plant closed. I have gone back to school and applied to a training center with a career service department.
    Hopefully, it works for me. They allready assisted me in reviewing my resume. I have orientation at the end of month.
    CompTIA A+ (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Network + (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Security + (2008 Edition) | CASP | CCDA | CCNA | CCNAS | CCNAV | CCDP | CCNP | CCNP:Security | MCTS | MCP | MCSA | MCSE | MCITP:EA | ITIL v3 Foundation 8)
  • Options
    msnelgrovemsnelgrove Member Posts: 167
    The worst is when you apply for jobs and you never hear anything back, making you wonder if there is something wrong with your resume or credentials. Even though the last interview I had didn't work out, I am glad that I got the interview and the positive feed back from it.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    msnelgrove wrote: »
    The worst is when you apply for jobs and you never hear anything back, making you wonder if there is something wrong with your resume or credentials. Even though the last interview I had didn't work out, I am glad that I got the interview and the positive feed back from it.

How often are YOU following up with them?

icon_confused.gif:
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    I was laid off for 47 weeks and had to do contract work for most of that time before I finally got a full time position as a Network/System Admin.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Have you tossed around the idea of applying for a non-it job until things pick up?
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    C4jun000C4jun000 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Same boat...only been at it longer :D.

I have been unemployed for 18 months now. 10 of which were spent dedicating myself to studies. I have obtained every cert I have in those 10 months. My biggest problem right now is I took a risk to change gears from the telco world I was in for 8 years to do something I wanted to do...Sys admin work. Now I realize that the days of Jr Admin roles have become almost non-existent so I'm looking for Desktop Support work at least. Not having any luck there as of yet. Very frustrating, very discouraging, but I have to TRY and remain positive about it. What else can I do? It certainly won't help to sit here and dwell on it. It is what it is...such is life.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    C4jun000 wrote: »
    Same boat...only been at it longer :D.

I have been unemployed for 18 months now. 10 of which were spent dedicating myself to studies. I have obtained every cert I have in those 10 months. My biggest problem right now is I took a risk to change gears from the telco world I was in for 8 years to do something I wanted to do...Sys admin work. Now I realize that the days of Jr Admin roles have become almost non-existent so I'm looking for Desktop Support work at least. Not having any luck there as of yet. Very frustrating, very discouraging, but I have to TRY and remain positive about it. What else can I do? It certainly won't help to sit here and dwell on it. It is what it is...such is life.

Good plan to get out of telco work though. The bottom has dropped right out of that. Most telco engineers have been outsourced these days and 6 months later get hit with 20% less pay a lot less holiday and rediculous shift patterns. UK carrier engineers are being savaged these days.

Still, we will ALL end up working for McDonalds one day.
    Kam.
  • Options
    gbadmangbadman Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Kaminsky wrote: »

Still, we will ALL end up working for McDonalds one day.

Thanks for that. You've just depressed me. I had been having an ok day till then. Planning my career path, exploring options, looking for ways to get in. Then along you come with a pin. There must be grounds for a lawsuit there somewhere.:)

But anyway. To say that the bottom's fallen out and only senior engineers are wanted is a pretty grim take on things. I sincerely hope it's an exagerration. There may now be more competition for positions, but I would imagine that the juniour positions are still there, just harder to land.
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties

-[/FONT][FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Harry Truman[/FONT]