Options

network passwords on xp home

eruistoeruisto Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
i have winxp home and i also have a home network... its a p2p network, we dont have a server. we only share resources... my desktop is on all then time, and sometimes i like to access the files on my desktop from my laptop... i can do that just fine, but i want to know if i could assign a password to my storage partition (the resource i have shared on the network)... i want to be the only person that can access it...
My philosophy on life:

"That which does not kill us makes us stonger... or leaves us weaker for the next thing that wants to kill us... and the next... and the next..."
--ME

Comments

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    The only thing I can think of right off hand would be only ALLOW security permissions to it for you & deny everyone else. There wouldn't be a password promt, b/c you wouldn't need it. If you really have to have a password, install IIS and do a webshare, and setup a password promt.
  • Options
    garv221 wrote:
    The only thing I can think of right off hand would be only ALLOW security permissions to it for you & deny everyone else. There wouldn't be a password promt, b/c you wouldn't need it. If you really have to have a password, install IIS and do a webshare, and setup a password promt.

the only problem is that xpHOME doesnt allow for you to change permissions
    My philosophy on life:

"That which does not kill us makes us stonger... or leaves us weaker for the next thing that wants to kill us... and the next... and the next..."
    --ME
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    eruisto wrote:
    garv221 wrote:

the only problem is that xpHOME doesnt allow for you to change permissions

Google it. IT's best friend.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm
    this will do it.
  • Options
    thanks
    My philosophy on life:

--ME