Options

Malware (where to get?)

I remeber maybe sometime last year someone posted a website where you could download a bunch of recent and old worms/virii/rootkits/trojans and all that fun stuff. I'm trying to find this stuff so i can learn how to defend against them and remove them from test systems. I searched and could not find anything.

Also, what are some good security/hacking websites and forums i should be following?
Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ethical Hacker is a good one.
  • Options
    unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    IMHO, the best place to get them is live on the internet. Just throw up a virgin Windows 98 box on the internet and sit back. Within a few minutes you should have plenty to examine. If you want to get fancy, run Wireshark, then carve the files out of the streams themselves.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • Options
    NullCodeNullCode Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Do you want exploits or ready-to-use Malware? Exploit databases are at www.milw0rm.com and www.exploit-db.com. If you want actual working samples of Malware, search Google using phrases like "(virus OR malware) collection". There are also Web sites that sell rootkits, but I wouldn't want to give any of them my credit card number. And plan on any of these sites you visit to try and immediately hack you.

The P2P networks are also a great place to find Malware in the wild. No only can you download ZIPped collections of virii, but any file that is being shared by an unusually large number of hosts is either a movie, pirated software, adult content, or a Trojan/virus dropper. The problem is that the selection of P2P-distributed Malware you'll find is very small. Most just want to infect your machine with a shell and open a channel to an illicit server somewhere. Not very interesting.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    NullCode wrote: »

Thats it, thanks!

going ot book mark that one twice this time..lol

also, anyone know what the deal with milw0rm is.... either hackers of the world gave up or milw0rm is dead (hasn't been updated since September)
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    Darthn3ss wrote: »
    also, anyone know what the deal with milw0rm is.... either hackers of the world gave up or milw0rm is dead (hasn't been updated since September)

I has been replaced by The Exploit Database and is maintained by Offensive-Security now.
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”