Options

Decompression errors in Ghost

Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
I'm trying to make a few updated images. We use Ghost 11.0.2. I'm working with an HP5850 desktop. Sysprep ran fine, no errors.. Ghost created the image with no errors, but every time I deploy it to a machine, it goes for about 15% then generates a decompression error. I don't have the option of not using compression either. We are very limited on storage space, and a Vista image is close to 14Gb. I have tried fast and high compression, but both give the error. If I click ignore error, sometimes it finishes, others it fails. Also, it's a pain to sit and wait to see if an error comes up, as opposed to just starting the process and being able to walk away.

Any ideas? I would really like to move away from Ghost, but I've been told the W.A.I.K. is not approved for use for some stupid reason....
i remain, he who remains to be....

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Have you tried it on another desktop?

If so then check that the server is okay and that the NIC and switch aren't giving weird errors.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your image was corrupted at some point. I've seen this before which is why I take care to verify the image at every step. After creating the image, immediately run the image verify option in Ghost, to ensure the image has no errors. If it has errors at this point, the source PC (and/or the destination PC if you are saving directly to a network share) may have bad RAM, so run a RAM tester.

Once you have a known good image, immediately create a checksum file (md5sum, etc.) for the image so whenever you transfer it anywhere (to a DVD-R, network, USB drive, etc.), you can verify that it transferred correctly.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Who do you work for that said WAIK "isnt approved for use" ?? So i know who not to ever work for. Thats an incredibly ignorant and shortsighted statement.

I dont have much advice for you, other than stop using ghost. I used it for awhile at work and one of the largest headaches with it was decompression errors.

Guess what we use now? Windows Deployment Services.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Your image was corrupted at some point. I've seen this before which is why I take care to verify the image at every step. After creating the image, immediately run the image verify option in Ghost, to ensure the image has no errors. If it has errors at this point, the source PC (and/or the destination PC if you are saving directly to a network share) may have bad RAM, so run a RAM tester.

Once you have a known good image, immediately create a checksum file (md5sum, etc.) for the image so whenever you transfer it anywhere (to a DVD-R, network, USB drive, etc.), you can verify that it transferred correctly.

I'm making a new image source right now. It's going through the Vista setup. Once it's good to go, I will sysprep it again. Then take the image, and verify the image, etc.. Hopefully, this should work.

Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Who do you work for that said WAIK "isnt approved for use" ?? So i know who not to ever work for. Thats an incredibly ignorant and shortsighted statement.

I dont have much advice for you, other than stop using ghost. I used it for awhile at work and one of the largest headaches with it was decompression errors.

Guess what we use now? Windows Deployment Services.

I can't say exactly who I work for, but the restrictions are very tight. I'm making progress getting them to OK WDS, but the approval process is slower than a turtle. The machine I use for deploying is still XP, and I must have all machines to Vista by March 1st, so I can use that to advantage by trying to claim the version of Ghost we use doesn't work with Vista. Sounds crazy, but the IT management people are not IT people..just regualr people with a business degree; they have no idea what I'm talking about unless it's already been red-flagged...and they love Vista for some reason. If I mention it's all part of Vista to begin with, I may get the ok to make the switch..plus for cost reasons. I'm pretty sure WDS is free, and Ghost is not...
    i remain, he who remains to be....