Options

Can you help me make a basic VOIP lab?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys this is what I have as far as equipment.

I have my beloved cisco 2511 access router yeah! and:

5 x 1760 cisco routers
3 x 2950 cisco switches

I have t1 dsu/csu card in each 1760.

I want to get 1 more switch a 3550 with SMI (I will
upgrade to EMI when I get it.

I was going to use it to power my 2 IP phones and then have
2 pots phones on the other end of a 1760 router with a fxs card
used of course and call back and forth from IP to pots,
is this possible and would this be a satisfactory CVOICE lab?
and would I need a FXO card? Can you guys give me a good
diagram for a basic cvoice lab for me to practice QoS and CVOICE.
thanks and doesnt the 1760 router have CME or Unified Comm manager in the IOS? I wanted to run voice packets across a wan that is why
I have the T1 csu/dsu cards. and do I need DSPs for my 1760 or is that
only used with VIC cards? Thanks

icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    you can get 2 FXS cards and plug regular phones into them. Those will work for site to site calls. After that get a 3524 and 1 3550 both should have POE make sure you check with the saler and get 2 7940 phones. Those will get you going for voip. After that I would suggest a VM with CCM on it over CME. Also if you have any 2600 series routers around you can use those for a gatekeeper with the right IOS. I was able to use a 2610 that I got online for 10 bucks for a gatekeeper. That will give you enough for a basic voip lab. That will be enough to get you though the CVOICE and CIPT1 and 2 test. QOS you will need a few more things but not much and TUC exam is a joke.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    thanks a lot shodown you are the man! yeah sounds great
    I do have a 2600 router do I need any DSP modules ? I dont need VIC card do I? I want to make the voip lab over a T1 WAN since I have gotten
    all T1 cards on my 1760s great I appreicate your help.. thanks bud
    hey with the virtual machine you say maybe run xp or windows 2003 server
    and then where do I get CCM to install on the server? is that what you mean.
    I heard the 1760s have some kind of comm interface gui served from its built in http server doesnt it? I haven looked yet. just getting my topology together right now.
    A 3524 is a router or switch?? I now 3550 is a switch and I can get an EMI image right?

-Robert
  • Options
    itdaddy wrote: »
    thanks a lot shodown you are the man! yeah sounds great
    I do have a 2600 router do I need any DSP modules ? I dont need VIC card do I? I want to make the voip lab over a T1 WAN since I have gotten
    all T1 cards on my 1760s great I appreicate your help.. thanks bud
    hey with the virtual machine you say maybe run xp or windows 2003 server
    and then where do I get CCM to install on the server? is that what you mean.
    I heard the 1760s have some kind of comm interface gui served from its built in http server doesnt it? I haven looked yet. just getting my topology together right now.
    A 3524 is a router or switch?? I now 3550 is a switch and I can get an EMI image right?

-Robert

a TI card is nice to have so you can do some of the commands and provision a T1 Also you need to have a VWIC, not just a T1 card. I would buy one, but i wouldn't have anything on the other end I would just have it to learn how to provision it. You can find out at work how its suppose to look and how to do debugs in dial in(its a part of troubleshooting that you will become very familure with if you do voip) The 2600 will not need DSP since its just functioning as a gatekeeper which is just routing calls and keeping a central location of dial peers. For my VM of CCM6 I just used my laptop that I had been using a centrio with XP and 4 Gigs of ram. I used the CCM on the same network as my home stuff and had to make one of the router interfaces be on my home network too, it was a pain, but it works(i wanted internet access at the same time I was using my lab)
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Hey what books or maybe topolgies did you find or use..
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hey what books or maybe topolgies did you find or use..

http://www.ccbootcamp.com/collateral/racks/diagram-voice.pdf

:)
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    pitviper
    hey bud thanks a lot. super ;) that helps a lot not that I can replicate that but gives me ideas :) super
  • Options
    shodown I got the 3524 sorry It is a switch got it sorry for dumb question.
    hey the gatekeeper 2610 what IOS do need to make it a gatekeeper?

can I use my t1 csu/dsu between to make a wan? what is the Vwic used for? how many? and do I need a Fxo card?

can you send me your toplogy diagram do you have one or can you suggest the diagram you used?

where do I get a CCM to install on my virtual machine?
    yeah that is all I want is a basic voip lab.
    and hey what things do you think I need for Qos? want to know what you think
    thanks shodown. I really appreciate your help..reallly
  • Options
    shodown I got the 3524 sorry It is a switch got it sorry for dumb question.
    hey the gatekeeper 2610 what IOS do need to make it a gatekeeper?

can I use my t1 csu/dsu between to make a wan? what is the Vwic used for? how many? and do I need a Fxo card?

can you send me your toplogy diagram do you have one or can you suggest the diagram you used?

where do I get a CCM to install on my virtual machine?
    yeah that is all I want is a basic voip lab.
    and hey what things do you think I need for Qos? want to know what you think
    thanks shodown. I really appreciate your help..reallly

The gatekeeper just needs a IOS that has it, I will have to look on cisco's website for it.

You can use WIC cards to make lan connections to dial phones at differnet sites.

The FXO card is used to bring a external PSTN line into your router, you can skip that.

The FXS cards will be used to add touch tone phones to the router you can get 2 of those.

CCM software can be purchased on ebay and when you install in VMware it will let you know its not supported. (I work for a partner so things like this were easy for me to get)

I havent done QOS myself yet, its comming soon, but I will prob do it with a few routers and switches I got laying around.

I can make a viso diagram when I get home, but its pretty basic. I had my laptop with CCM on it and going out my router. From there It went over a serial connecton to another router (both 1760's). On both routers I had switches with VOIP phones and on both routers I had FXS cards with touch tone phones.

I hope I"m not going over your head. I work for a partner and All I did for 1 point was CCM support, so some of this stuff is second nature now.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    shodown you are not going over my head I understood everything you said. can you email me your toplogy I want to see it you dont have to go nuts just label the interfaces though and what they are, huh it will help you out tooo hee hee if you have time and can email me your visio toplogy I just want to see you lab you are the man dude send to email

robert1(at)itdaddy(dot)net

thanks man...I wont use vm either will use my laptop ;)icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Hi guys, just to throw in my 2c, for QOS I managed with 2 routers and a switch. I also used Nist to introduce delay, only cos I had a copy lying around its not really necassary.

cheers
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    can you email me your toplogy I want to see it you dont have to go nuts just label the interfaces though and what they are

What do you think it looks like? Draw it up and post it! It's pretty straight forward. :)
  • Options
    Here's my old lab topology that I used for QoS, just replace the IP phones w/analog phones plugged into FXS ports. Funny, looking back I’ve pretty much upgraded every piece of equipment that I started off with! :)

qoslabtopology2.jpg
  • Options
    pitviper not really if you never had to set it up I havent done the full thing yet but when you started out you must have ask some questions.
    hey where is your topology???? link?

and do I need 2 3550s to do a basic voip lab?
    and what kind of IOS do I need with a 2610 gatekeeper
    and what does a gatekeepr do?
    and do all 3550s have POE or is it optional?

thanks for the tip laidbackfreak!
  • Options
    Inter-Domain Gatekeeper Security Enhancement [Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.2 T] - Cisco Systems

showdown you mean this ios for the 2610 it must have some kind of gatekeeper technology is this right?