Options

can I use 70-680 as upgrade path and mcse requirement?

poguypoguy Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi.
Can anyone confirm it , please
70-290
70-291
70-293
70-294
70-680 * can I use this as upgrade path to MCITP:EA and MCSE requirement?
70-298
security+

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    Yes. But if you're going for both MCSE and MCITP: EA, then you'll need a total of 2 exams on client OS's. You can take 680 (Win7), but you'll also need either 270 (XP) or 620 Vista as well.
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Technito wrote: »
    Yes. But if you're going for both MCSE and MCITP: EA, then you'll need a total of 2 exams on client OS's. You can take 680 (Win7), but you'll also need either 270 (XP) or 620 Vista as well.
    Umm, no you won't.

One of 70-620 or 70-680 can satisfy the client exam for both MCSE and MCITP:EA.
  • Options
    TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    astorrs wrote: »
    Umm, no you won't.

One of 70-620 or 70-680 can satisfy the client exam for both MCSE and MCITP:EA.

You can't apply the same exam towards both credentials. Would be nice, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. 7 exams are required for MCSE, including a client OS exam of either 270, 620, or 680. And when upgrading from MCSE to MCITP: EA, you must take exams 649, 647 and either 620, 624 or 680. If you used either 620 or 680 as a client OS exam towards your MCSE then you must take either 624 or whichever client OS exam you didn't use for your MCSE as part of the upgrade.

Note: 270 can't count towards any MCITP certs.

If you were able to use one client OS exam for both MCSE and MCITP: EA, then you'd only have to take 2 exams to upgrade from MCSE to MCITP: EA. But as we all know it's 3 exams (As outlined in the upgrade path and MS certification planner)
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You can't apply the same exam towards both credentials. Would be nice, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.
    I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you again on this point. You are not required to take any specific number of exams, just meet each of the requirements.

While you can't use 70-620 as both your core client exam and as an elective while completing your MCSE; if you used it as your core client exam it will still count as meeting that requirement for the MCITP:EA.
    If you were able to use one client OS exam for both MCSE and MCITP: EA, then you'd only have to take 2 exams to upgrade from MCSE to MCITP: EA. But as we all know it's 3 exams (As outlined in the upgrade path and MS certification planner)
    Like I said there is no set number of exams, its just specific criteria.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Astorrs is correct. If you do 620 or 680, you can use that for both the MCSE and MCITP. There's no requirement that says you must do something different in the other track. That won't take anything off the number of exams you have to do for the MCSE, but you will already meet that requirement for the upgrade.