vty 0 4 or 0 15

joe48184joe48184 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've seen the "line vty 0 4" on some lab manuals and I've seen "line vty 0 15" on others. For me, I'd rather go "0 15" because I like the idea of securing what I can, but what does Cisco what?

To clear that up a bit, If I'm asked to set up ssh on the vty lines, should I get inthe habbit of 0 4 or 0 15?

I hope the reply doesn't break any nda's.

Thanks folks.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    joe48184 wrote: »
    If I'm asked to set up ssh on the vty lines, should I get inthe habbit of 0 4 or 0 15?
    You should get in the habit of looking at the current configuration before making changes.

Routers usually default to 0 4
    Switches usually default to 0 15
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • joe48184joe48184 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You should get in the habit of looking at the current configuration before making changes.

Routers usually default to 0 4
    Switches usually default to 0 15

Thanks for the clarification. :)
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    You can go much higher than 15 if you want.

I would say to answer the question, look at the running config, and configure whats there.

I personally usually do 0 4 (since there will never be more than 5 logged in at once), and leave anything above that without log in (nothing is more secure than not allowing anything!). On my dialup router though I have to configure much more since theres many users coming in on VTY.

I will say, always leave a little room, in case a few lines hang you are not locked out.
  • elphrank0elphrank0 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I usually will do Line vty 0 ? to find out how many lines and use all the lines when setting them up.