Options

Exchange to Google Apps

AzretAzret Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
So this will be very off topic. I am currently having a problem at this small office I am working with. Long story short, the old IT admin that was at the firm got fired and as revenge took down the entire server yesterday stopping all traffic and locking out all users. After a few hours I got back in, secured the server but being that this is a small office (4 permanent employees) they do not need the server or exchange and this is the 3rd time their server has went down. I suggested we move to google apps and create a p2p system with a NAS drive to minimize collateral damage.

My dilemma is, the google sync tool that comes with apps is not working with the users pst files, I keep getting sync errors. Is there a way I can pull the mails off the exchange server manually and import them into google? I can use the email migration api and import via imap4, but that will be a hassle to obtain the CA certificate and get them up and running quickly. Any suggestions?
Have you tried turning it off and on again? :bs:

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Azret wrote: »
    create a p2p system with a NAS drive to minimize collateral damage.
    Eh? P2P system?

Who or what is going to be backing up that NAS drive? If it is a manual process by one of the users in the office then they'll forget or not do it properly.

If their internet connection goes down, will it matter that they can't access emails at all? This includes their address book, todo lists and old emails.

What else does that server do? You said the old admin (lawsuit time BTW) locked them out and stopped all traffic so its not just being a file server and mail server.
    My dilemma is, the google sync tool that comes with apps is not working with the users pst files, I keep getting sync errors. Is there a way I can pull the mails off the exchange server manually and import them into google?
    What version of Exchange? Have you tried exporting their mailbox and folders using Outlook and just importing that new PST?
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I don't know about migrating to Google Apps, but you're welcome to PM me about using Microsoft Online Services. The smallest account is 5 users. I can set you up with a free trial for 30 days to see if it works for you and can assist in getting your mail migrated.
  • Options
    AzretAzret Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    What else does that server do? You said the old admin (lawsuit time BTW) locked them out and stopped all traffic so its not just being a file server and mail server.

Would be if it wasn't for the wonderful H1B visa, he is now in wherever hanging out and laughing. It was just a file and mail server but it was connected to a VPN router which I had to disconnect and put them in through a switch in order to work.
    tiersten wrote:
    If their internet connection goes down, will it matter that they can't access emails at all? This includes their address book, todo lists and old emails.

The beauty of offline email and google apps sync. It keeps everything in outlook and syncs to the cloud.
    tiersten wrote:
    Who or what is going to be backing up that NAS drive?

It will be a scheduled back up, possibly to a second hard drive. I think they will a recurring tech saavy marketing intern to do it. Its going to be a much easier process for him; this isnt the first time they have been brought down. I believe the server is unecessary and has caused him more grief than he needs, he constantly has issues, not to mention the entire system seemed to be pirated with the old IT guy using lots of stuff this guy could not afford on the server. Google Apps is a step in the right direction for him I believe, for small businesses it seems to be a great email solution.
    darkerosxx wrote:
    I don't know about migrating to Google Apps, but you're welcome to PM me about using Microsoft Online Services. The smallest account is 5 users. I can set you up with a free trial for 30 days to see if it works for you and can assist in getting your mail migrated.

Whats the price per month? I think he is at his budget with $50/user/year. If you can send me a proposal via PM, I'll look at it and take it to him and see what he says.
    Have you tried turning it off and on again? :bs:
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Whats the price per month? I think he is at his budget with $50/user/year. If you can send me a proposal via PM, I'll look at it and take it to him and see what he says.

PM Sent.