Options

10 things every geek should know

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Guess I'm not a geek. I only knew the answer to one of them. Most of those are for what I would refer to as a "nerd" not a "geek." I didn't know watching nerdy movies made you a geek lol.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Guess I'm not a geek. I only knew the answer to one of them. Most of those are for what I would refer to as a "nerd" not a "geek." I didn't know watching nerdy movies made you a geek lol.
    What networker050184 said.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yea, that's a 35 year old living in his Mom's basement with a lifetime subscription to Netflix and Dish Network. Geeks don't sit all day watching movies and being dorks. That's the 10 things losers should know... No offense if that's you, though. Just try touching a PC or Mac instead of the remote control.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Nicole Bremer Nash (the author - I scrolled down to the end ) seriously needs to get out more and stop hanging with her b/f's mates soo much.. If she managed to publish an article like this it is probably about time she stopped playing WoW as well and started growing up and concentrate on an adult career. And let her hair down more!

Any person in normal society that mentions Klingon in a context as if it is real seriously needs to be slapped and sent right to the back of the queue. The timing is different for each and every one of us, but we all sooner or later, come to a point where we must .... Grow the F*** up !
    Kam.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    LOL and a big +1. Great response.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    Nicole Bremer Nash (the author - I scrolled down to the end ) seriously needs to get out more and stop hanging with her b/f's mates soo much..

"Ho's gotta eat too!"

Which geek out there knows the movie that spawned that line? (without cheating)

MS
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    The sad thing is, I knew the majority of those.

And come on, you *gotta* have a zombie plan man!
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am apparently 40% geek.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264

Yea. I knew two.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    kids these days! no culture!

(and apparently a few of you are lacking a sense of humor. Lighten up!)
  • Options
    I'm just not a movie person really. I watch TV or movies on occasion, and its usually football when its TV (Geaux Saints!). I can think of plenty more entertaining things to do with two hours besides stare at a TV screen (like stare at a computer screen!).
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Damn, guess i'm not a geek. The only one i got was the detailed post-apocalyptic zombie survival plans.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The only one I agree about is that Geeks have a strange love for Zombie movies...

Zombies! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_DYIUNYs84&NR=1
    (Haven't seen this one...)
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    1 (who doesn't know that, honestly?), 2 (big time!), 3, 6 (NES was THE gaming system when I was a kid, everyone knew that code), 7, and 10.

Guess I'm 60% geek...
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Although I knew quite a few of these, I have to agree with you guys. This is more nerd culture than geek. I think at issue here is the diverging meanings of the words "nerd" and "geek", which less than a decade ago were totally synonimous.

Now the term geek has simpky come to mean "one who posseses exceptional technical skill and/or knowledge in a field, especially computer related, and demonstrates an enjoyment of said field that borders on obsessive."

Thus a "baseball geek" would have an exceptional knowledge of the history, rules, and statistics of the sport. A "chess geek" may not be an exceptional player but would be able to discuss the fundamental ideas of chess openings, endgame positions and chess hsitory such as the world champions. But a nerd is something different...
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @Robert: I completely agree with your Geek vs. Nerd definitions.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    People here are taking this way too seriously. It's just some form of light humour. Leave it at that.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    People here are taking this way too seriously. It's just some form of light humour. Leave it at that.

I don't think anyone is being overly serious here. Most of the responses seemed lighthearted to me. At least mine was jokingly, I could care less what someone's list of geekiness contains.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »

I think the fact that we can debate/argue over something like this means we are true geeks/nerds.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Reminds me of that SNL skit "Geek, Dweeb or Spaz" game show.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514

And come on, you *gotta* have a zombie plan man!

I dream about this all the time. Borderline fantasize icon_lol.gif
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    giving myself part marks for knowing what the ultimate question but remembering 4 instead of 42, knowing some Python quotes but not enough to complete a conversation, I score 50%

perhaps bonus marks for #5, for extra extra special nerds/geeks/whatever, for relating the answer to Star Wars characters icon_redface.gif
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    I have to agree with Mirsha... the fact we are debating whether we are geeks or nerds by knowing the info in that post means we are definitely one of the two, if not both.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    TravR1 wrote: »
    I have to agree with Mirsha... the fact we are debating whether we are geeks or nerds by knowing the info in that post means we are definitely one of the two, if not both.

Wrong, that makes you dorks.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Wrong, that makes you dorks.

amen /
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    to make things easy here are the definations in full :)

yes I am a geek and proud of that fact! ;) I even have a t-shirt to prove it.

Geek, nerd, dork, and normie. The difference between the four titles can be easily shown in table form:

................ Technical ...... Social
    Title ............ Skills ......... Skills

Normie ......... No ............. Yes
    Geek ........... Yes ............. Yes
    Nerd ............ Yes ............. No
    Dork ............ No .............. No

Normie: A normal person. Blah.

Geek: An outwardly normal person who has taken the time to learn technical skills. Geeks have as normal a social life as anyone, and usually the only way to tell if someone is a geek is if they inform you of their skills.

Nerd: A socially awkward person who has learned technical skills due to the spare time they enjoy from being generally neglected. Their technical knowledge then leads normies to neglect them even further, leading to more development of their technical skills, more neglection, etc. This vicious cycle drives them even more into social oblivion.

Dork: A person who, although also socially awkward, doesn't have the intelligence to fill the void with technical pursuits, like a nerd, and is forced to do mindless activities. Almost always alone. Usually with an XBox. Like playing Halo. All day. Every day. Not even understanding how the Xbox is making the pretty pictures on the screen. Very sad.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    I think that about sums it up.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    TL;DR Version:

nerd-venn-diagram-9420-1252236207-2.jpg