Options

Restricting USB port use to specific devices

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
I've been looking for a way to restrict the use of USB ports for our remote users. They do have devices that need port use - printers,bluetooth adapter, and one has a wireless adapter. I do not want to turn the ports off completely, just limit them to these type of devices. Anyone find a way to do this? We do not want them to be able to plug in flash drives, etc for security reasons.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    just spitballing....

I'm wondering if you can limit it with virtural USB devices? IF you were able to create a virtual USB port for the print device, perhaps it could be isolated??

I need to go look into that, but just thinking....
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    You can use Group Policy in the newer OSes to restrict hardware by device type or class. Moskowitz discusses this in detail in his Creating the Secure Managed Desktop book, but here is a link to a Technet magazine article he wrote:

Security: Managing Hardware Restrictions via Group Policy
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    you could look at usb serial numbers and only allowing those you specify.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    you could look at usb serial numbers and only allowing those you specify.
    Not many devices actually implement the serial numbers. You can easily test it out by unplugging something and then plugging it into a different port. If it starts the new hardware detected procedure then it doesn't implement that part of the USB spec.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□