Routing TCPIP Volume 1 & 2 Books

chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
Sorry if this has been mentioned or posted already but thought you guys might want to know, there is a new version/edition of volume 2 of this book coming out this year.

Amazon.com: Routing TCP/IP: v. 2: CCIE Professional Development (9781587054709): Jeff Doyle, Jennifer Carroll: Books

Hardcover: 1000 pages
Publisher: Cisco Press,U.S.; 2nd Revised edition edition (May 28, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1587054701
ISBN-13: 978-1587054709
Shipping Weight: 1.7 pounds

Should be a very great resource for CCIE R&S studies.
Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX

Comments

• gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Excellent news.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Interesting, I wonder what will change. Vol.2 is already a massive tome, but I guess it was due for a new edition.
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    another addition to the collection..
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
    It looks like the new edition will only add 30 or so pages (assuming the Amazon page count is correct), so I wonder if there will be anything new added, or if they'll just be revising current content
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    qplayed wrote: »
    another addition to the collection..

Amen to that....!

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
    Hopefully this will actually make it into brick and mortars (in my area, as a general rule, Barnes and Noble and Borders and such don't normally carry the heavier CCIE books, it's usually limited to the exam prep/certification guides for actual exams) so I can look it over and see if it's changed enough to actually purchase. That, or hopefully someone who has the present edition and buys the new one will be kind enough to elaborate on the differences. Having purchased the current edition, it would take some pretty significant changes for me to decide to purchase the revised one.
  • Bert McGertBert McGert Member Posts: 122
    I may have missed this in a previous post, but does anyone know when this is actually scheduled to hit the streets?

It's supposed to come out "this year" but there are many months to go and I'm trying to determine if I should pull the trigger sooner or if I should pull it later.

I appreciate any insight!
    well amazon shows may 28th, I haven't heard anything else to confirm or deny that date
  • rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    hmm i was planning on getting both the TCP/IP routing books to start my CCIE saga.

Probably just get Volume 1 until this new one comes out. I'm sure Volume 1 has enough to keep my busy until may.... Plus all the other books around
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    rakem wrote: »
    hmm i was planning on getting both the TCP/IP routing books to start my CCIE saga.

Probably just get Volume 1 until this new one comes out. I'm sure Volume 1 has enough to keep my busy until may.... Plus all the other books around

I decided to contact Cisco Press about a second edition to Volume II. Here's what I received:

At this time that project has been put on hold. I am not sure when it
    or even if it will be completed.

Sincerely,

Vanessa
    Cisco Press

Original Message
    Sent: Sunday, March 21, 2010 6:06 AM
    To: Cisco Press Information
    Subject: General Inquiry or Feedback

Name: *****
    Title: Network Engineer
    Company: n/a
    E-Mail: micsera@gmail.com
    Phone:
    Address 1:
    Address 2:
    City:
    State / Province:
    Zip / Postal Code:
    Product Title: Routing TCP/IP Volume II v2?
    ISBN:
    comments: Will there be a second edition release to Routing TCP/IP
    Volume II (# ISBN-10: 1578700892) this year?
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My copy of Volume 1 is from like 1998 and 99% of the material is still valid. If you've got a copy of V2 I don't see a need to buy some revised edition. TCP is fundamental and doesn't change.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • ciscog33kciscog33k Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cisco LAN switching needs an update more than anything else.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    My copy of Volume 1 is from like 1998 and 99% of the material is still valid.
    I keep the 2nd edition 3 inches closer than the 1st edition (got a 3 ring binder between them) because of the IPv6 in the 2nd edition.

If I don't care about IPv6, I'll reach a little further and grab the 1st edition since it's served me well over the years.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I keep the 2nd edition 3 inches closer than the 1st edition (got a 3 ring binder between them) because of the IPv6 in the 2nd edition.

If I don't care about IPv6, I'll reach a little further and grab the 1st edition since it's served me well over the years.

I honestly don't even bother buying publications on IPv6 (except for a $5 copy of the MS press book) because the protocols and technologies change so much so frequently that often the material is obsoleted or doesn't necessarily depict the best way to do something.

That being said, I'm about to drop a few duckets on some Cisco Press books. It's been a while since I've done a Cisco cert and the CCSP is appealing.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    seraphus wrote: »
    I decided to contact Cisco Press about a second edition to Volume II. Here's what I received:

Dam... any update or should i just grab the current version?
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    rakem wrote: »
    Dam... any update or should i just grab the current version?

I went with the current version.
    Lab first, ask questions later