Options

assistance getting ios to load from T.F.T.P

tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
Any help would be appreciated

I've got
boot system t.f.t.p. 122-23.bin 192.168.1.64

Saved to config and I was able to backup the existing IOS to the T.F.T.P. so I know that's working. Below is the output when I try to boot from t.f.t.p. I would just copy to flash but it only has 8meg of space so I'd have to delete the existing IOS image which I'm too chicken to do until I understand what I've done wrong here better.
Any ideas?

Thanks!

(The . int the word T.F.T.P. are due to forum restrictions)

TAC Support: Cisco – Shortcut to Technical Support
Copyright (c) 2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.
C2600 platform with 32768 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0x6111d8
Self decompressing the image : #################################################
################################################################
######## [OK]
boot of "t.f.t.p.:122-23.bin 192.168.1.64" using boot helper "flash:c2600-js-mz.120-
2.XC2" failed
error returned: File read failed --
loadprog: error - on file open
boot: cannot load "t.f.t.p.:122-23.bin 192.168.1.64"

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(10r)1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
TAC Support: Cisco – Shortcut to Technical Support
Copyright (c) 2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.
C2600 platform with 32768 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0x6111d8

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
  • Options
    Thanks for the help... :)

Still no go. Same error. I checked the t ftp server on my pc and it says transfer aborted.

EDIT: Something that came to mind. I don't have enough flash space to load this IOS and the existing one. (That was the main reason I wanted to try it from T FTP first) Does the router load it onto flash in the process of loading the ios from t ftp? If so I'm really wasting time. On the other hand I would expect a memory or disk space type of error instead...

THANKS!
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    tha_dub wrote: »
    Thanks for the help... :)

Still no go. Same error. I checked the t ftp server on my pc and it says transfer aborted.
    Ah. Hmm. I've never actually used the mechanism you're using. If I've T FTP booted something then it was from ROMMON.
  • Options
    So I went ahead and overwrote the flash; Okay so not too scary for the more experienced user but I was a little nervous. It worked no prob.

The strange thing to me was that once it booted the config it actually started loading the
    t.ftp image successfully...

I dunno why... ;)

T
  • Options
    techtrottechtrot Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I believe it started loading the tfpt image immediately because the fallback squence is NVRAM, flash (missing after you deleted), tfpt server, then ROM. Or in your case if you explicitly put boot system commands in the config, it'll boot from wherever you tell it to - in this case the tfpt server
    ~techtrot~
    WIP: CCNA
    Pages read in 2010: ~815 :study:
  • Options
    Yes it started loading from T FTP once the new IOS was loaded into flash because of the boot system command still in config. What I thought was odd was that with the old IOS it would not get that far before aborting. My only hypothesis as I'm not going to revert to the old IOS to test is that it was somehow too old or not compatible.... Either way I got the most up to date IOS installed that I could given my RAM/Flash.

Thanks!