Options

Job advice needed

pumpum Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi okay so I am recently qualified A+ IT technician and have been offered a job as IT technician, but all aspects. They said they would put me on trail for a few weeks. I only have experience of hardware related faults but they said they needed me to know a bit about everything. How would I know a bit about everything considering I have no experience in the IT industry except a bit of fault finding and repairs and upgrade? How can I pretend to know a bit about everything inluding servers and software applications?

Comments

• Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just tell them. Their either let you go or their teach you how to troubleshoot it.
  • Options
    lineline Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is where it is paramount to get in gear and start learning as you go. Get on the job and first day start absorbing everything they are asking you to do. If it is a reputable company they will offer some sort of training, at least as to how the company ops work. This is the time you need to be taking notes and going home after work and hittin up google hardcore. Make yourself like a sponge and come back the next day prepared.

Invest in yourself bro, you can do it.
  • Options
    416_guy416_guy Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The worst thing you can do is to "pretend" to know things. If you don't understand just say so and make note of what you need to know for the job, maybe they'll explain it to you if not go home and research on it.

Just don't try to pretend to know, that'll make you look very bad the person who knows the stuff will know right away you don't know. The last thing you want them to know is your pretending.
  • Options
    lineline Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think when you get there, their request to know "a bit about everything" will be pretty reasonable and whatever information you lack on how maybe servers and networks work and interact with each other can be easily picked up in a couple hour study session.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    pum wrote: »
    ... How can I pretend to know a bit about everything inluding servers and software applications?

You don't.

If you don't know it, let them know and start learning about it.

(and post in the correct forum please)
    Moving thread.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    If its an entry level position then they wont expect you to know everything, just a little about everything.

Remember that Google is your best friend when you need a quick answer. If i just dont know something I will google it to find a fix and then come back after im done and research the situation a bit so that I understand it.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    google is your friend....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)