Didn't Pass CCENT

PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
I actually am surprised. I've been studying hard for a long time (on, off, on, off), have subnetting down, can read, understand router and switch configuration... Been using a decent lab and can configure it damn good to do what I want (several routers, switches, WLAN), definitely a lab that can take me to the CCNP...

I know what I have to study, and it looks like IP networking. Subnetting wasn't a problem, though, but that was my weakest spot. I got a 100% on security and WLAN stuff, though. I can go through the topics that I messed up on, look in the books and understand the material just fine. Not sure if I didn't understand the question, didn't understand the answer, both, or just a small gap in my knowledge. I'm not saying I knew EVERYTHING, but it was all familiar, and I knew what was going on on the scenarios and stuff... Maybe just a bad day...

Time to study again. Second time, I'll pass. I'm surprised I didn't pass this time.... I'm sure I was going to.
icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif

Comments

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't give up... Study the areas that you scored lower in, make sure you feel very confident in all subjects outlined in the CCENT Blueprint. Good luck. Look forward to you posting your PASS!

V/r

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Stay positive study the areas that you got lower scores on then go and CREAM that exam next time :)
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    PC509 wrote: »
    I actually am surprised. I've been studying hard for a long time (on, off, on, off), have subnetting down, can read, understand router and switch configuration... Been using a decent lab and can configure it damn good to do what I want (several routers, switches, WLAN), definitely a lab that can take me to the CCNP...

I know what I have to study, and it looks like IP networking. Subnetting wasn't a problem, though, but that was my weakest spot. I got a 100% on security and WLAN stuff, though. I can go through the topics that I messed up on, look in the books and understand the material just fine. Not sure if I didn't understand the question, didn't understand the answer, both, or just a small gap in my knowledge. I'm not saying I knew EVERYTHING, but it was all familiar, and I knew what was going on on the scenarios and stuff... Maybe just a bad day...

Time to study again. Second time, I'll pass. I'm surprised I didn't pass this time.... I'm sure I was going to.
    icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif

Sorry to hear that. Focus in our your weak areas. Think about you next test date and build a study plan around that date. Don't put it off to much or you may end up losing your steam. Kill that thing next time so you can move on to the other stuff in your sig!

Good luck icon_study.gif
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I felt that way too; I thought I had it all sussed but failed by 1x question. Gonna get it next time though.
  • willitsmewillitsme Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been doing nothing for the passed month but study and practice. I understand the material and ditto all of the original comments of the thread. I took the exam for the 2nd time today and failed. There must be something I am doing wrong in the exam. I did a little better but the lowest scored areas were the same.

I have passed all of the practice exams from Boson, Measure up and Skillsoft. But do not know what I am doing wrong on the exam.

Me two weakest areas on the exam are the following:

- Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP services to meet network requirements for a small branch office. 22%
    - Identify security threats to a network and describe general methods to mitigate those threats. 25%

I could use some help to pass this next time.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    willitsme wrote: »
    I have been doing nothing for the passed month but study and practice.

What are you using to study? What are you using for lab practice?
    I have passed all of the practice exams from Boson, Measure up and Skillsoft. But do not know what I am doing wrong on the exam.
    On the first try? Or did you run through multiple times until you passed?
    Me two weakest areas on the exam are the following:

- Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP services to meet network requirements for a small branch office. 22%
    - Identify security threats to a network and describe general methods to mitigate those threats. 25%

Subnetting is a basic skill you need to master -- did you have your "Ah-Ha!!" moment during your studies? If not, you need to spend time at subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online until you have that "moment." Then do at least a few problems a day until you're doing them in your head.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    +1 on subnettingquestions.com i used that site alot through icnd1/2 as mike said keep hittining it (even for a few minutes at a time) i found so many of the questions on icnd1 especially to be subnet related.
    also watch out for if theres more then one thing wrong, there might be 3 correct reasons why something isn't working but it might be a subnet issue which often overrides all others.
  • GrayhenTorGrayhenTor Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't be hard on yourself - it's easy to make mistakes under the pressure of the exam. Things which are actually straight forward suddenly seem not so. The IP Qs are straightforward but they contain lots of detail that can go wrong ; e.g inverse masks covering one too many bits, public/private addresses for NAT entered the wrong way round. Not easy when the clock is ticking..
    Keep practising that's all, you'll do it!
  • willitsmewillitsme Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Update and more detail....
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Q- What are you using to study?
    A- I Received Cisco ICND1/2 books along with Video training from a training facility. They have "mentors" to answer questions and help guide. But I have to wait for a scheduled trainer led class to start. My studies have mostly been self taught with internet and other published materials.

Q- What are you using for lab practice?
    A- The training facility has equipment that I have played with, but mostly I have used the Boson simulator for the lab practice. I am comfortable with the running and configuration of the hardware.

Q- On the first try? Or did you run through multiple times until you passed?
    A- I have taken the exam twice and failed it each time. Both scores were very simular with just a little improvement on the 2nd try.

Q- Subnetting is a basic skill you need to master -- did you have your "Ah-Ha!!" moment during your studies? If not, you need to spend time at subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online until you have that "moment." Then do at least a few problems a day until you're doing them in your head.
    A- Yes I did have that "moment". I found a Subnetting question generator online and have practiced that until I can answer subnetting questions in about 15-45 seconds.

I think I understand the material but just don't understand why or what I am doing wrong on the exam. The 2nd time I took the exam I was able to discover a couple of things I did wrong in the 1st time on the simulated portions.

Like I stated before, I have access to the Boson , Measure up and Skillsoft Exam practices. Is there anyone that has Transcender or other material that can help with the exam simulation?

Thanks for all the feed back!
  • SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    if you can get a copy of Packet Tracer 5.2 I can send you all the CCNA 2, 3, and 4 labs so you can get some more practice if you need it

just PM me with your email address
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.