Options

Do you study from ebooks or paper books?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
The title should cover it, but I'm wondering how many people study from ebooks vs. from actual paper books.

For a while I enjoyed ebooks, but slowly I'm missing reading a book on the couch rather than staring at the monitor for hours :) I guess I'm getting old!

Comments

• Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I honestly tried, but I found it too easy to get bored and alt-tab out to something else. With a paper book, I don't have that temptation or at least it's not readily available.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I spend enough time in front of a monitor; I go with paper.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    arwes wrote: »
    I honestly tried, but I found it too easy to get bored and alt-tab out to something else. With a paper book, I don't have that temptation or at least it's not readily available.

Same here. I only use ebooks to study at work or on the road so I don't have to lug the physical books with me. When I do use an ebook I usually disconnect my internet connection to fight the urge to browse the internet. I want to give one of the ebook readers a try, but I'll wait until the price goes down a bit on those.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I have a very large collection of pdf's, but I only resort to them as reference material when there's something I need to know and I don't have the dead tree on hand. If I'm studying on purpose, it's always with a dead tree.
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I agree with the others...I just like the feeling of having the book rather then a PDF...although I too have a insane collection of pdfs which I reference alot.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Not necessarily an ebook I guess, but I do A LOT of studying off of the Cisco Docs online. That would be way to much crap to print out on paper.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
    Depends, I prefer to read the real paper book. But if its something I might have to lab out a ebook would be easier, in some ways... Also I agree with paper, your not tempted to get sidetracked with other windows opened up.
    Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
    http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
    HTC students encouraged to join :)
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I do both, mainly i prefer paper and at work i use pdf, so it looks like im working icon_wink.gif lol
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    I prefer paper because I can high-lite pertinent facts as I am reading and that seems to help reinforce the information in my mind. Ebooks are good for searching for specific information.
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Sometimes I read part of the ebooks onscreen and print other parts. I've got a good laser printer, but given it's expensive to replace the cartridge, I only print the heavy reading portion.

Today I went to my local PC store and it costs me $45 to refill the cartridge giving me 2000 pages. Not too bad.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll read from either the book or my Kindle DX -- but when reviewing where I may be paging around I'll use the book.

I may use either the Kindle or eBook to read any end of chapter questions and use the book if I need to look around for the answer.

I usually take hand written notes first, so either the book or Kindle works fine for that. If there was a table or something in the book that would be useful in my notes, then I may copy from an eBook or do a screen print of the eBook while I'm typing up my notes.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    I am more comfortable with paper when it comes to reading. Just like what arwes said, the temptations are there when you are in front of your laptop and reading the pdf....
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mainly ebooks, on my laptop. It's definitely a challenge to resist the alt-tab, but I do OK.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    littlehoopslittlehoops Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use my Android phone to read my epubs and my my laptops for pdfs. But i do like having the paperbook they look good on my shelf. When i am at home i read from the paper book.

Hoops
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    At university, I always used paper books.

Now I solely rely on e-Books for IT.

Pleasure reading, which I do A LOT, I use paper books.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Problem I find with with pdfs is you tend to collect a lot of them all covering similar subjects but from different authors. Thing with this is you end up reading about the same thing in several different ways and don't feel you have covered the topic until you have read them all.
    Kam.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Paper all the way. Mainly due to issues looking at a stupid screen all day.

Although i would prefer to use an e-reader due to environmental issues with paper being used. Plus the fact that it would save a ton of space and allow easy accessibility to a wider library on hand. However, i tested a few cisco pdfs on a friends sony e-reader and the diagrams did not scale well at all and the formatting became messed up. If this was not the case and the e-readers were a more sensible price then i would jump at the chance of one. i'll wait until the apple device comes out to see if theyve made any headway in that market but instinct tells me they wont be cheap from Stevie Jobs and co!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    e-books, although I alt-tab out a lot and get distracted. Take now for instance...
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I prefer the paper route. Easier to curl up with in a corner. Just doesn't feel quite so friendly when you try that with an ebook.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ebooks. I have a HP 24 inch rotating monitor in portrait mode dedicated to just docs. with such a huge image I can use a wireless keyboard in my reclining chair and it is just as good as paper. I also have a eeepc netbook which is lighter than most books if I am not at home. I thought about a kindle but there is that color factor.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Both. I usually try to purchase books that include a .PDF version on CD (Exam Cram / MS Press). I'll use the .PDF version at work, and use the book at home, traveling, waiting for my oil change, etc...
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When i'm flying around i use e-books. When i'm on the ground hardcover all the way.
  • Options
    pml1pml1 Member Posts: 147
    I mostly use paper. I study some from pdfs (as others have stated, mainly as a searchable reference), but after a full work day of staring at a computer monitor, my eyes can't take much more once I get home.
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I prefer a book since I am able to take it to bed or curl up in a chair with it. On the other hand I love the fact that most of my certification books come with it in PDF since I can search for what I am looking for with Adobe Reader.

PDFs also come in real handy when you are searching through Mark Minasi's Mastering Windows 2003 book, honestly would you want to have to pull that thing off the shelf every time? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Stone tablets and papyrus.

I use a combination of physical books and ebooks. Whilst you can search in an ebook, I've found it nicer to browse a real book.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I prefer a book since I am able to take it to bed or curl up in a chair with it.

I can curl up in bed with a laptop AND it keeps my lap warm. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I go with both. It really depends on which one a read more. I'm usually on the computer reading an ebook but when I'm playing CODMW2 then I go with the physical book. If i'm waiting on someone then I go with the physical book.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****