Options

Oracle wins unconditional EU approval for Sun buy

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
Finally !
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Oracle Corp won unconditional European Union approval on Thursday for its $7 billion takeover of Sun Microsystems, a month after offering public pledges to sooth regulatory concerns.

Full story here:
Oracle wins unconditional EU approval for Sun buy | Reuters
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

Comments

• Options
    techtrottechtrot Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This may not be good for MySQL. Better start learning the differences with PostgreSQL.
    ~techtrot~
    WIP: CCNA
    Pages read in 2010: ~815 :study:
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @Unix Guy: What do you think this means for Oracle and Sun? My big hope is that they don't get rid of Virtual Box.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    @Unix Guy: What do you think this means for Oracle and Sun? My big hope is that they don't get rid of Virtual Box.

It means the buy off will go on as it's supposed to. It was on hold because the EU objected to protect MySQL. It was bad, because nobody knew what will happen, and they lost few customers because of that delay in the deal.

Now that everything is clear, Oracle will take over. Oracle promised to invest more in all the current Sun technologies, so we're gonna have to wait and see. Personally, I have positive expectations, specially that Oracle has much more customers than Sun so ideally speaking; it should help selling more Sun products to Oracle existing customers.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    there is still China and Russia to go with China being the largest market. What concerns most people is the refusal to formalize in writing the MySQL promises. Larry E reads Sun Su.
    "Oracle promised in December to keep the market open for others to make storage engine software for Sun's MySQL database and to boost investment in the unit after the European Commission launched an in-depth investigation of the deal.

It also pledged to set up a separate customer advisory board of MySQL users.

Those concessions have satisfied Europe's competition watchdog that the deal will not distort the market.
    "
    My lying eyes say the deal looks good but my logical mind says its male bovine excrement. I have never seen Oracle do much for open software
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I hope they keep the Open Office team together, and push for further development.