Options

Opening User Files (Admin Windows Server 2003)

AzretAzret Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
So in a previous thread I said i would be taking a company off of a server because it is unnecessary and has given them more headaches than use. However, to make sure I have everything backed up I want to be able to pull the user files off of the server under what has been saved but cannot. Windows gives me an error saying it cannot open the folder to view the contents. These are the user's private folders from their computers stored on the server. Is there anyway to pull these files off?
Have you tried turning it off and on again? :bs:

Comments

• Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Make sure the account you are logged in as have ntfs rights to the files you are trying to copy off the server.

Also, you might want to look into using a utility like Robocopy in order to preserve acls so you don't have to recreate them on the new server.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    AzretAzret Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    Make sure the account you are logged in as have ntfs rights to the files you are trying to copy off the server.

Doesn't the administrator account have this by default?
    Have you tried turning it off and on again? :bs:
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Azret wrote: »

Generally, but not necessarily.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Azret wrote: »
    Not on roaming profile folders by default (which I assume these are). Take Ownership of the files/folders and replace the permissions; or take ownership and use a tool like subinacl to add full control permissions to the local administrators group while maintaining existing permissions.